Author Topic: JMR's Weekly Tournaments : FAQ  (Read 17269 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
JMR's Weekly Tournaments : FAQ
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
Hello there!

Each Saturday at 7pm BST, I will be hosting a tournament.

http://paintball.jordanmrichards.com I am still currently developing the website.

This FAQ will be updated. Please check back every so often.

SIGNUPS

Q: How can I sign up?
A: Signups open on the day of the tournament 20 minutes before the start. Join the channel #tournaments on . Message me (JMR) or post in the channel your clan ID, team name, tag and roster.

Q: I am new to this game, can I still enter?
A: Yes! You need a minimum of three players though, to create a team. Find some mates, or make some friends and create a clan: http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=createclan. You need a dplogin account, if you do not have one already, go here: http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=createaccount

Q: Will I have to sign up my team every time for each tournament?
A: Yes. It's just a matter of joining the Discord server (https://discord.gg/nExEMuM), stating your participation and your clan ID/name/tag.

Q: What is Discord?
A: Discord is an all-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. It combines all the best features of Skype, teamspeak3 and IRC. Find out more here: https://discordapp.com/

Q: Is this a series?
A: Yes. Each tournament is part of it's own series. However, each tournament is individual as far as signups are concerned.

Q: I will not be able to play every single week, am I still able to participate?
A: Absolutely!

Q: When will signups close?
A: Signups are open until 5 minutes to the start of each tournament so I can create the brackets.

GENERAL

Q: How will I know which server to go to??
A: Server details and other instructions will be given through Discord.

Q: What if only 2 teams show up?
A: The tournament will still go ahead as long as there are at least two teams. The two teams will battle it out for 2 points. First place winning two points, second place winning one point.

Q: Do I have to take a screenshot at the end of the match?
A: Yes, you must take a screenshot of the leaderboard when the match is over and then send it to me via Discord.

Q: Will there be any sort of leaderboard/ranking?
A: Yes. Teams will be ranked through obtaining points. The system will not be complicated. It will be as simple as, the more teams that enter the current tournament, the more points you will be able to win. http://paintball.jordanmrichards.com/?results

Q: Will I be at a disadvantage if I miss tournaments?
A: Yes. The more active your team is, the more chance you will get at earning points. However, it is completely possible to make a comeback after missing tournaments.

Q: Will rules change? Will the leaderboard ever be reset? Will any other changes ever be made?
A: Things will probably be changed over-time as this develops. I am open to suggestions, just contact me on Discord or through a private message on these forums.

Q: Will there be any prizes?
A: Still to be decided.

Q: If there's no "definite" prize, then why should I play?
A: Many teams are active on weekend evenings as it is, without any tournament. I am simply taking what's already there and turning it into something more fun. If participation grows over time, I will consider handing out prizes.

Q: Will you be able to hold the tournaments every single week?
A: No doubt, there will probably be some weeks where I will be unable to. I would find someone I trust to co-host the tournament whilst I am away. (Giving them login and tournament details)

Q: I really want to help out, is there any thing I can do to help?
A: The best thing you could do would be to tell others about these weekly tournaments. Perhaps hop in some speed servers and tell newer players about it too!

Q: Where can I find out the rules for the tournament?
A: For full information, you can visit:
http://paintball.jordanmrichards.com

Q: What servers will we play on?
A: The tournament will be hosted using JMR's tournament servers which are hosted in London, UK. If there are any NA teams interested in playing, I will also be providing NA servers.

If you have any other questions, please post them in this thread.

-JMR
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:48:52 AM by JMR »

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: JMR's Weekly Tournaments : FAQ
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
I disagree with the following rule:

If you disconnect, you can no longer play in that match and your sub will have to play for you. Once you have been subbed from this, you may not join up again that match.

--> Why? Does that mean you can't reconnect? Sometimes that can be a fix for lag. Or what if someone has to get the phone/door? They have their sub join up, and when they come back they expect to go back in. I assume this is for the leaderboard, as you want the screenshot to accurately show the end game scores. But I still disagree, because there's no prizes and anything - it seems more for fun - I don't think there should be limitations like this.

Reconnecting is not allowed.

--> Same to above point. Why? There's no benefit to having these restrictions other than end game screenshot being more accurate. Let people reconnect. Who cares. The statistics don't really matter.

No personal insults, spamming or flaming other players in an inappropriate mannor - don't be a jerk.

--> Very vague. Is this a subjective thing? Maybe do what a tournament before had where you are unable to talk in anything but team chat. Don't make the talking excrement possible.

------------------

Lastly, you never specify a very important note - that you told me on IRC - that this will be EURO servers. Just a heads up to NA teams looking to play.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:38:32 AM »
I guess reconnecting is limited so noone can prevent caps by disconnecting.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »
I guess reconnecting is limited so noone can prevent caps by disconnecting.

No. That's another rule. People reconnect when they are dead in standard matches, either to fix lag or score reset. Or even occasionally to fix game bugs (I personally have to do that occasionally with bono's mod that has a glitch to it).

Disconnecting to prevent caps has always been an instant forfeit of the map. That's not what I'm talking about.

knuddlee

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
My guess would be that: If a player reconnects he MAY not rec because of lags, but to start hacking (which in some cases is only possible when you restart dp u know). I know this sounds crazy but that and what richard said makes the most sense for me.

And btw: It's JMR's tourney, so pleeeeeeease don't cry about it and just accept the rules or don't play (and don't cry, can't stress this enough) :)

Anyway, I look forward to this series and props to you JMR for having the encouragement to start a new tourney. Don't back out this time^^

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »
I'm not crying... I'm responding to his FAQ and Rules, in the proper thread, and not making any personal attacks.

I would assume it's more for tracking scores.

Also - most people who used it for cheats didn't reconnect, they just did 'vid_restart'  -- so that's not very accurate. Unless there's ones where people close out their entire game, in which case if they're going to cheat they would just start with it. This doesn't prevent cheating in the slightest. A player will turn them on beforehand.

The only reason I can think of, as used in previous tournaments, is it makes it easier to track scores (ie making a leaderboard on his website of all the screenshots of individual scores) - or so respawn times can not be messed with (ie preventing revive caps by reconnecting to increase the time it takes you to respawn).

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
I disagree with the following rule:

If you disconnect, you can no longer play in that match and your sub will have to play for you. Once you have been subbed from this, you may not join up again that match.

--> Why? Does that mean you can't reconnect? Sometimes that can be a fix for lag. Or what if someone has to get the phone/door? They have their sub join up, and when they come back they expect to go back in. I assume this is for the leaderboard, as you want the screenshot to accurately show the end game scores. But I still disagree, because there's no prizes and anything - it seems more for fun - I don't think there should be limitations like this.

Reconnecting is not allowed.

--> Same to above point. Why? There's no benefit to having these restrictions other than end game screenshot being more accurate. Let people reconnect. Who cares. The statistics don't really matter.

Good points, thank you. These were rules left over from my previous tournaments, where I wanted to track individual player statistics.

I have decided to modify these rules to only allow disconnects when a round is not active. ("Round will be starting in 8...") This way, a player can fix any issues when a round ends, without messing up revive caps.

No personal insults, spamming or flaming other players in an inappropriate mannor - don't be a jerk.

--> Very vague. Is this a subjective thing?

I didn't feel the need to expand them as they're rather self-explanatory really.

No personal insults
  Things like
     -"go kill yourself"
     -"nig***"

Spamming:
     - Don't needlessly repeat the same message.
     - Don't post something that is unreadable.

Flaming:
     - Arguing with someone by throwing out insults and personal attacks

Maybe do what a tournament before had where you are unable to talk in anything but team chat. Don't make the talking excrement possible.

That's a good idea. I should also specify in the rules that #tournaments IRC channel will be moderated and anyone who is seen to be throwing out personal insults, spamming or flaming will be dealt with.

Lastly, you never specify a very important note - that you told me on IRC - that this will be EURO servers. Just a heads up to NA teams looking to play.

I did specify that the servers will be on mine which are hosted in London. (See the website) But I'll include it into the FAQ also.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:26:16 PM by JMR »

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
I'm gonass and I support this tourney series, even if its not on NA servers.

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Nice JMR, #respect

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
First tournament will be today at 7pm GMT.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
The first tournament will start now.

Thank you to all 7 teams who have signed up.

Prozajik is livestreaming this tournament: http://www.twitch.tv/prozajik

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
I wanted to play on this tourney, but iam on holidays, gl hf guys :-)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »
Power's out, I'll hopefully be back soon.

Edit:
Power keeps going on and off constantly... Must be a problem in my area.

Hopefully you guys will manage without me until this gets fixed.

So frustrating.

Could someone post the scores here so I can update the bracket from my tablet?

EDIT:

Everything's back. I'd like to thank rockitude and mission for updating the brackets whilst I was offline.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:32:55 PM by JMR »

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 01:01:44 AM »
For me tourneys at 7pm GMT means waking up 3am every Monday if I want to join! haha.

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 02:04:58 AM »
Had alot of fun playing.
Just 2 tings .  You need to add rule that one player can't play for 2 teams.
Perhaps you should start next tourney 1 hour earlier. We started plaging at 20:10 CET and finished around 00:00.
See you all next sunday :)

siiX.

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
Yeah the tournament was fun, there's only one thing which should be imroved. As aborted already mentioned above, the tourney should start at least ~1 hour earlier due to people having got school/jobs, I guess there are few players besides me who would also appreciate it.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
Perhaps you should start next tourney 1 hour earlier. We started plaging at 20:10 CET and finished around 00:00.

JMR is running this every week, meaning he needs all the participation he can get. No team will be able to make it EVERY week. He put it at a team that allows NA and EU to be able to participate - as well as the Brazilians. It's in a team zone most convenient for everyone. Sure, every nation rather the time adjusted a bit, but it's at a very fair time for most to maximize participation.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
JMR is running this every week, meaning he needs all the participation he can get. No team will be able to make it EVERY week. He put it at a team that allows NA and EU to be able to participate - as well as the Brazilians. It's in a team zone most convenient for everyone. Sure, every nation rather the time adjusted a bit, but it's at a very fair time for most to maximize participation.

Precisely.

I don't think there is an issue with the starting time. I just think the tournament lasts too long. I may consider shortening the timelimit to 15 or 10 minutes. What would you guys think about this?

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:19 AM »
Precisely.

I don't think there is an issue with the starting time. I just think the tournament lasts too long. I may consider shortening the timelimit to 15 or 10 minutes. What would you guys think about this?

Yea its too long, 15min might work well imo.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:08 AM »
yea, the main issue we had was debating whether it was worth playing pp1/air or banning it would be better. These maps just take too long even tho it might be decided after first 5 minutes. On the other hand, I have had close matches on pforest (and other somewhat fast paced maps) which went to 20 mins time limit.

But i would still be up for shortening the time limit, I'd say go with 15 mins for next tourney and see how it works out, after all there is plenty room for trying out these settings.