Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 now free  (Read 11898 times)

Wyze

• Stingray
Unreal Engine 4 now free
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
I know trying to rebuild this game into a new engine has been talked about before. There was always done barriers including licensing costs and whatnot. Just saying now that, that licensing cost barrier is no longer.

Read here: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free

tobiantifa

• VM-68
Re: Unreal Engine 4 now free
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Nice catch

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:13:17 AM »
Quake 2 Engine is still the best.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
Quake 2 Engine is still the best.

thats why i played the game.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »
Biggest catch is dev time.  Rebuilding the game to be on par with the UE4 demos would be a LOT of work, and would make the game unplayable for anybody not using a high-end gaming machine.  From the tests I've done, the rendering kind of breaks down when the character moves really fast, because the engine needs time to properly render all the lighting reflections and such.  When you're moving fast, things tend to look blurry.  It's also difficult to see fast-moving projectiles for the same reason.

Also, none of the existing maps would be compatible, and the player physics would probably feel different.

I will be working with this engine a lot in the future, though, so we'll see what can be done with it.

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 06:50:38 PM »
Think of the few high res style paintball games that have come and gone since this one has started .. including greg hastings paintball series ... not everyone can afford the high end rigs so this game will keep going even if it seems outdated as long as anyone can play.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
I'm trying to re-model 20 most popular maps into Unreal Engine 4.18.3 alongside with Quixel Megascans Studio - Mixer, Megascans Bridge, Maya ''18, Blender, Illustrator, Photoshop, Meshmixer + sometimes 3DS Max, SolidWorks and creating my own 360 photoscans for models (having 20TB of 3D objects for commercial use, materials, textures, photo scans, own photo scans, animations, and a lot more). Design is not a problem and is actually fun to do with blueprints of maps from dp2 and creating meshes in Maya. I created Propaint1 replica in just 2 days, and it's done on 40%. Performance issues, I used 8K textures and I have half map done (re-building pp1). With created menu in C++ or blueprint, you can set your textures quality, anti-aliasing, resolution and so on... However with 8K textures on in workmode, I have no problem to run it on 60 fps. When I launch game normally and set to full HD, I have 120 fps with bunch of softwares opened in background. If you create low poly meshes, smooth them out, adjust them and create nice looking UV textures, performance is not going to be a problem. I do not even have High-End PC, I have only 16GB RAM, which is full background processes and CPU as well... With menu items, setting up lower res or quality of objects, reflections, textures etc. etc. you can make your game jump into 300 fps which is more than enough for FP Shooting game. Blur effect can be turned off, there are blueprints/scripts, when you load a map, small like a paintball map, it will pre-render everything, no shattering, screen tearing, fps lags etc. I have no problem with fast moving projectiles in vision contact. I replicated every weapon from dp2, it's initial speed, maximum speed, velocity for x and y etc. added splat animations to projectiles, and it looks/feels as good as in dp2. Movement was replicated by some guy for quake2, there are even some blueprints you can adjust that with them. I believe I even saw multiple videos of replications quake 2 physics, especially gravity, jumps, interaction with ramps(objects) in higher speed, circle jumps and so on. I believe dp2 isn't that much different in physics than quake2, so it should be replicable (adjustable) from that blueprint into ue4. I already played with basic settings of jumps and gaining movement speed with W A SPACE or W D SPACE combinations etc., it's actually not that hard. I'm not good at this and I achieved half of movement physics just by simple settings and coding adjustments (I'm not good at coding).

Nowadays you can create photorealistic 3D scans with just one software and good camera. When you edit that object in Maya/3DS, reduce it and play around with it, you can get incredibly well looking object with performance impact such as couple minecraft blocks ;).

- Output log doesn't show any errors after launch and exit and it shows that game automatically adjust textures, based on your resolution - 2048x2048 at my test ride. There is bunch of work on with this pp1 rework map, such as real grass, wind, skylight, lights adjustments, objects, red/blue marks etc. but it's pretty easy to achieve in 2018.

Preview below in just 1600x900.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
The looking is really great tbh. Its pretty dark but you probably gona fix that while working on the lightning.
This engine is a pleasure for the eyes , it would be worth a try to see if DP2 Physics could match with it.