Author Topic: New siege map: Pineapple Express  (Read 16773 times)

shockk

• 68 Carbine
New siege map: Pineapple Express
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »
Hey guys, making an awesome new map for siege servers. If anyone has seen pineapple express, and loves it as much as me, they know the final raid on Ted Jones grow op. I'm building the grow op barn, and the whole setting is perfect for siege gameplay. A top barn above ground, and a lower level where the grow op and the flag will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oiFuWlMvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2HFfv9Lp_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQLhruwcjM

Some movie clip links. The first two links are some scenes from the barn, the last of the three is a fight scene from the basement grow op.

I will post some pics very soon, I've been rewatching and taking pictures of the movie set as it shows up in each clip so I can make it as accurate as possible. There's the main way down the ladder to the grow op where the flag will be, and also a vent system that comes down to the basement from way outside near where the attacking team spawns. It's literally perfect for paintball2.

I need help though, I need to figure out how to add a car model, and a van model if possible. If not I'll have to make it by hand. Also the pot plants..I need to know if anyone has a model about the right size that looks somewhat similar.

I had posted in some other threads I started some of the questions I'm having so far with the making of this, but I thought I should start the official thread here.

I hope you guys end up enjoying this map as much as I am having making it, should be a great addition to the siege maplist.

Considering once you're in the base and downstairs where the flag is, you probably won't be able to get back up any other way than the main ladder. I'm probably gonna make the vents only a way in, not a way out. Unless you wanna make a human tower like in the movie lol. That said, the only guns on the map will be stingray vm68s and spyders, with steel chrome and brass barrels in that same order. I'm considering not even having the spyder and instead having the trracer. I don't think fast shooting guns are necessary here. Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:06:52 AM by shockk »

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Re: New siege map: Pineapple Express
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
Some initial pics

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
more intial pics and a nice optical illusion haha

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
Hey, it looks intresting, contact me on IRC when it will be ready to play, i might put it on my siege server.
/edit: please, try to make it light- i don't want to lag on it :P

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:42:36 PM »
Hey html thanks for the reply.
What do you mean when you say make it light? Do you mean brightness or light in terms of detail?

Looking in the top corner of each screenshot you can see my fps count; it's dropping sometimes to 50-70fps which is sort of low. I hoped once I made all the brushes 'detail' that would help, but no luck it's still pretty similar. Maybe that's because I'm only exporting with basic qbsp right now. The fps is not too bad though.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
What do you mean when you say make it light? Do you mean brightness or light in terms of detail?
I mean 'lightweight' :D
Looking in the top corner of each screenshot you can see my fps count; it's dropping sometimes to 50-70fps which is sort of low. I hoped once I made all the brushes 'detail' that would help, but no luck it's still pretty similar. Maybe that's because I'm only exporting with basic qbsp right now. The fps is not too bad though.
Try to make some smaller rooms in that house, it should help. Fps drops when you see many entities.
Can you upload the map and give me a link [through a forum PM?], i'll test it on my PC.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »
Sure. I think the barn is the most complex area. All the wooden beams make for a lot of brushes in one section, but the downstairs area will have some smaller rooms and less brushes in general.

This is the .bsp in progress so far

KURWAJAPIERDOLE

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
Very nice barn. I'm waiting for some better progress to tell more about it :P

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
Thanks Kurwa. I started very simply with the outer wooden walls... but as I progressed I realized all the beams and such should have been made first.. just like a real barn, to make everything look nice and line up. There's no shortcuts!

I'll keep working on it and update those pictures as I can.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »
Is this map suffering from a leak error? The lighting looks very uniform and plain.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
This is only a qbsp export. I haven't added proper lighting yet. I'm actually having some trouble with night time lighting right now.. putting _sun_light at about 50 and its still pitch black... I'll have some external light sources but making a nice coloured sun for nighttime is a biggy still.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:34 PM »
You really can't do a nice nighttime sky. The suggestion I would have is to add enough light to make it dim, add an ambient light flag in the export to get the dark corners, and add more sources for light in the map itself.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »
You really need to take line of sight into account in your map layout.  This map has almost nothing to block visibility, which is going to result in high r_speeds and poor rendering and network performance.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 10:34:02 PM »
There will be a few things outside, mainly a long strip of high grass as you move closer to the barn up the hill from the attacking spawn, and a couple objects.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 12:20:58 AM »
I put a large thin wall of grass on the way to the barn. Hoped this would block some of the visibility. I made it super thin and tall, but a mist brush so it could be walked through. When I loaded the map with qbsp, I stood directly at the wall with nothing else in my fov and my fps was 45 like I was outside looking at the entire barn. So I thought maybe mist brushes don't block the brushes vis behind it. So I made the tall grass brushes normal, took away the mist... and the exact same thing happened, 45 fps... does anyone know what's up?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 12:36:20 AM »
Glass (or any transparent texture) will not block vis.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:08 AM »
If you just run qbsp, this isn't going to vis the map.  You have to run the vis stage as well.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
ok

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
for a pretty dead forum at the moment other than bans, I just finally got back to putting in some work on my siege map, added some lights

also: need help, my models in final export are showing up as the white/grey diamonds (sk89q trees and shrooms, files are correct).. whats wrong?

this picture is real lighting, not a simple qbsp export lighting like the original pictures, its final export

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »
this one is also a final export hence the excrementty vis, but I'm just trying to show the general models not appearing

and also that terrible outside light was just a landmark to test it out.. I'll have some better lamps outside

question: if I make those long thin strips of grass a mist brush, will light shine through it?