Author Topic: New siege map: Pineapple Express  (Read 16780 times)

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Re: New siege map: Pineapple Express
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »
This is the latest bsp as far as I've gotten

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Yay u active

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
Yeah I'm putting more work into it slowly as I find more time

and darn you have as many posts as me and I've been registered since 07

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 01:47:12 AM »
question, if I'm standing outside looking towards the barn, gl_showtris 1 shows a lot of brushes being rendered. It's basically everything, stuff inside the barn, AND even in the downstairs of the barn

what can I do to stop all these brushes from being rendered? I feel like theres some surface property I'm missing. Can I make everything a hint brush? does that work? what about making many things detail brushes?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:16:24 AM by shockk »

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 01:15:04 AM »
I started creating the basement of the barn. What you see in the picture is a walkway surrounding the perimeter of the basement, and the center portion which is currently a leak, will be a lower floor level where the grow op is. There will also be a few rooms in the very bottom and this is where the flag will be (in the room where they were kept them prisoner if you've seen the movie).

Technically there will only be 2 ways in and out of the basement here. The ladder from the barn at ground level, and the ventilation system which leads outside near the attackers spawn.

Lastly, I still am in need of a small plant model to replicate the marijuana plants, and a van model if possible. I have a car in the works already but I'd like both if there is one available.

Thanks

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
o boi

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2019, 03:03:10 AM »
Finally got around to checking the latest version out.  The barn looks really cool.  There are a couple reasons why you're struggling to get this to perform and light correctly.

1) There are holes in the map (leaks).  It will not vis or light correctly with those present, so ALL geometry (even stuff outside of the map) will always be visible.  You can fall through the ground in the tunnels and such.  Make sure your map is sealed and keep an eye out for the "leaked" message when compiling.
2) Lots of gaps and such prevent any area from being invisible to other areas.  For example, there is a gap between the roof and the wall, so pretty much everything on the inside is going to be visible from the outside and vice versa.  Cracks in the wall and such will also cause problems.  Try to make everything as sealed as possible and consider what is going to be visible from each location.  Many maps employ giant "vis blockers" -- walls that completely block line of sight from one area to another.  Quake-based engines are much better suited to corridors and rooms.  Try to design your maps like this, but give the illusion of outdoor areas, if that makes sense.

Not sure if you'll ever pick this up again, but another good idea is to name your map files so they don't get confused with the final version.  Like "mymap_beta1.bsp".