Author Topic: WARNING: This Grass Texture is Not Allowed  (Read 7527 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
WARNING: This Grass Texture is Not Allowed
« on: April 18, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »
I've sent warnings to various players using this texture, and there have been several discussions on the forums about it and similar textures, so I thought I'd make an official go-to post explaining why this grass texture is not allowed.

The grass texture in question (lowres version):

Note that it is a fairly deep green with a lot of noise.

This is the current offical HR4 version:

And this is the one that is not allowed:

Notice how the player model is considerably easier to spot.  This, simply put, is not fair (aka cheating).  I know it's included in some texture packs, and I really don't want to ban people over something like this, but I want to keep the game fair and at a reasonable visual quality (ex: no players running around with solid grey walls and neon player model skins – the line has to be drawn somewhere).  If players refuse to play fair, they'll have to be banned.

Many people I tell to change the texture say the light one looks better, and I should make that one the official one.  I don't buy it.  It does not look good.  The brightness value is completely blown out.  It's practically white in some areas.  Have you ever seen grass that light before?  It just looks unnatural.  Plus it doesn't tile well (looks like a bunch of stripes at a distance) and is mirrored so it has a bizarre kaleidoscope effect/wallpaper pattern.

"But some grass really is that light!"  Some, maybe, but not all.  This particular grass texture is for green grass.  Here's just a photo I took outside of an office building for reference:

Note how dark it is, even in direct sunlight.

A close-up photo of some other grass (closer in color to to the standard texture):

If you really MUST use that texture that's been floating around, though, I've created an altered version with curves tweaked to closely match the standard texture:

This is what it looks like in-game:

I still don't think it looks very good, but just don't use the light one anymore.

If you don't like the official textures and have suggestions for how to improve them, post your feedback in this thread: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=22225.new#new

Toxiic

• Autococker
Re: WARNING: This Grass Texture is Not Allowed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:02 AM »
And.......Let the flamefest begin.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:28:38 AM »
And.......Let the flamefest begin.

would be cool if you add the other banable textures aswell (pink barrels and stuff). and it might be more clear for newbies with a note on the main page where you can download paintball 2.

finaly there is a clear border what to use and what not^^

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:34:56 AM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:26:09 PM by ascraeus »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »
It doesn't really matter which textures you will use, in my opinion. Maybe this grass can help newbies who just started playing this game, but i don't think pros and average players can see in this grass advantage. If you want to play perfect, you have to predict spots, mostly prefire with lanes, and be really great jumper + sometimes communicate... example: My mate got killed in low on pp1, so he probably will rush, he can rush to main from low, to hbd, to 1st ladder or 2nd. Or he can just stay back and wait. As you can see you have to think about XY things instead of grass lol. When you will see somebody on that grass.... it can't help you instakill him, it won't help you aim better. In my opinion this game will be better with customizable textures, just not transparent one haha. But whatever i don't mind using "official" one, because textures doesn't matter in this game. It is about your skill level, predictions and sound.

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:08:33 AM »
ofc you're right that tactic and predicting is more important in competitive gameplay but don't tell me you can't see difference between those sshots. It's obvious if player is better and faster visible it's easier to kill him. Maybe it isn't huge advantage but actually it's an advantage.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:21:34 AM by MrPeach »

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
dead game with no tournaments

Huh?

http://paintball.jordanmrichards.com/series-info.php

Not to mention there's a tournament on today...

What is the point of having rules if they are not to be enforced? Certain textures do give an unfair advantage, perhaps not a huge advantage, but enough of an advantage to make it unfair.

Rules are rules, they're simple. Please do not complain about them.

As jitspoe said, if you don't like the textures, he's open to constructive feedback on his thread.

These forums are often filled with posts from people who don't play much anymore, but just throw out complaints without offering much constructive feedback or contribution to the community.

The events are there, it's up to people whether they care or not, if you don't care much about dp2, it's simple, don't complain and don't post.

If you do care, offer something constructive towards a thread.

Often, the people who post garbage are the majority here. I'm not going to point any fingers, but if you take a look at some of my tournament threads, you'll see people who don't play post, when they don't even care.

The people that do care in this community, often don't post on the forums, because often it's just filled with attention-seekers who mean to offer nothing but trash.

Currently, I'd say about at least 70% of the posts I see on these forums are garbage/non-constructive. This has nothing to do with moderation.

When I run a tournament, there are probably around 5 people who thank me and offer feedback and rarely post this on the forums. Then you have people who don't play, just post something that is not against the rules, but completely pointless/filled with attention-seeking.

If the people that care and participated in my tournament (10+ teams) posted on these forums actively with constructive feedback and appreciation, you'd guarantee that percentage of garbage posts drop to at least below 30%. Not to mention it would help people like me who are putting effort into this community and would encourage us to continue.

The bad speaks loader than the good, unfortunately.

I've had so many american players come up to me and complain about there being no NA tournaments/events. Now when I posted a thread asking if any NA teams were interested, hardly any posted.

You have had the chance to have a tournament series with NA servers included, handed to you on a plate, but yet you just blatantly ignore it.

- People who don't use the official hr4 textures, make an effort to compile a list of improvements that you'd like to be implemented to the official ones. If you don't, it only proves jitspoe's point further, that the other textures do not look better.

- If rules are not enforced, where do you draw the line? Huh? Some people seem to think there's this way of having rules with no true enforcement. Rules simply do not work like that.

This only has taken 20 minutes of my time. I care about this game, so it's worth the time to me.

If you read this, then please consider either:

- If you don't care about the game, please only post in the off-topic section.
 - If you care about the game, make an effort to post positive contribution to the community discussion. We need more people like you posting here.
 - Change your attitude, tone and composure. Decide whether you care or not.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:30:27 AM by JMR »

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:25:27 PM by ascraeus »

PaRaDeaD

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
JMR speaks the truth.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
kek

dead game with no tournaments and server with highest traffic being italy 24/7 -> HAS TO BE REALISTIC GRASS WTF BAN 1024

game that hosts multiple tournaments with thousands of dollars prizepools - neon green models with dumbed down textures to spot enemies easier

still amused by the fact that textures are the biggest matter, not the feature votes, lul'd softly goodbye

sorry not sorry
The "pro"-oriented visuals in Quake Live are actually a big turnoff for me.  Searching for "quake live green models" shows I'm not the only one (ex: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5016.0).  Also, I wouldn't use Quake Live as an example of a successful game.  I just checked their server browser, and it only had a couple more active servers than Paintball2.  I found the option to shut off the green models and wanted to play around on a CTF server for a bit, but there weren't even any CTF servers with players on them.

Textures themselves aren't the biggest matter (otherwise you'd see a lot more people banned), but they're part of fair play, which is one of the biggest matters.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
The "pro"-oriented visuals in Quake Live are actually a big turnoff for me.  Searching for "quake live green models" shows I'm not the only one (ex: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5016.0).  Also, I wouldn't use Quake Live as an example of a successful game.  I just checked their server browser, and it only had a couple more active servers than Paintball2.  I found the option to shut off the green models and wanted to play around on a CTF server for a bit, but there weren't even any CTF servers with players on them.

Textures themselves aren't the biggest matter (otherwise you'd see a lot more people banned), but they're part of fair play, which is one of the biggest matters.

you didnt get ascras point at all i guess

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »

there are alot more players then in paintball2. also, quake live is not a good game for CTF. its made for DM and TDM.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
Ok I'm going to post some constructive criticism that most people don't argue about it here. As a player who has been banned for the longest period of time; I'd think itd be fair that my opinion should be regarded as something strong. In my years of QQ and watching this game evolve. I've noticed something. More people realize that the textures actual don't help out a lot. See when I was banned for the first time, it was actually the fact that I made edhardy textures. Everything edhardy. I also made neon models. Even though I didn't know they were bannable. Once I got banned, I realized that it actually never truly helped me out. For example: even with those models;  I would not be able to see in airtime one high. It would also make the game look bad. I mean seriously if you think those neon green models look good, I can't say much about it. But most people can agree those textures actually look horrid. When research has shown that, better the graphics, the better the experience for the players who play the game. If you think they look good, go take a look at Clipz and Crashs video of spiked neon models. If tou can't find it it is in my ban thread and myers posted the video.

Now that aside, TE XtuRES!!!. I was watching Game Theorists on youtube and they were having a battle between Dota and LoL. And graphic part of the argument came up. Dota 2 has more "realistic" graphics; while LoL has a more "Cartoonistic". It actually didn't matter. Both of those two agruments were right. Non of them had an advantage to each other. Since you can't have a 3rd person view in that game, it really doesn't matter how good the graphics are. In Digital Paintball though it can be said the samething. Why? Simplely because of the speed of the game. Your moving so fast that that last thing you wanna notice is the textures. But newbies who play the game will need to see "good" graphics. High quality graphics. Simply because of there a newbie. They havent learned to strafe and etc... so they won't be able to play the game to as people who know how to, which are Canadians. They don't travel as fast so they will notice the graphics of the game. But then again, what I have said also can be said against the concept of "realistic" graphics. For example, this game is not realistic one bit, if anything this game suits for "cartoonistic" graphics. Look at Team Fortress. And if we acknowledge that, people who come to play the game will also realize the fact. So it will be "good" graphics.

As you can see this argument has no end to it. So the best thing we can do is let Jitspoe(developers) decide on this matter.

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:24:07 PM by ascraeus »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »
ofc you're right that tactic and predicting is more important in competitive gameplay but don't tell me you can't see difference between those sshots. It's obvious if player is better and faster visible it's easier to kill him. Maybe it isn't huge advantage but actually it's an advantage.

No, i can't see advantage when it will be match pros vs pros. Even average player can't see in this grass "advantage". If u will use sunmans textures against me I will still kill you.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »

I'd have to agree. Your peripherals will pick it up much faster with higher contrast.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 06:03:45 AM »
But on some monitors the textures are too dark. Thats why i have played with this kind of grass

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »
I don't see why there's a big debate about this.  I have to draw the line somewhere.  I'm drawing it here.

If you don't see how this texture offers any advantage, that's fine.  Just use the official textures and move on.

If you do see how the texture offers an advantage, then you know why I have to enforce this.

If you just don't like the way the texture looks, offer feedback in this thread: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=22225.new#new

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »
I have to draw the line somewhere.  I'm drawing it here.
I don't see it here.....

Malware

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »
Would it be good to create a poll and let people vote, are they for or against other textures beside the official one?
Besides, what about those hand switch or dj scripts? They are also great advantage over default. Or voice recon vs locs or regular msg recon...