Author Topic: Using other people's textures  (Read 7612 times)

Ace

• Autococker
Using other people's textures
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
So, apparently one of my beta maps (cargo) is on one of the speed servers. I had no idea until today. But I saw unibonger on there, and my map uses some of his container textures. He basically said that he wanted me to remake the textures because he spent time on them. He did say he liked the map, just not that I used his textures.

What's the verdict on this sort of thing. Legally I could give a excrement, as there is no copyright. But, for using older textures that people have made. Guess it's time to delete all the old pub maps :D

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Using other people's textures
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »
Im pretty sure along as you don't use them to make money you don't have any worries, I highly doubt he licensed them or even had them copyrighted.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
I don't plan on making money from my crappy DP maps, I was just curious what people were thinking about for using old textures for new maps, morally. I don't see any issue (I think I even credited him in my forum post), but who knows.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:11:22 AM »
It's like saying that I have to pay for the air I breathe or I have to adapt to breathing nitrogen.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
I highly doubt he licensed them or even had them copyrighted.

He donĀ“t need to licensed his textures.
His textures are automatic save. If anyone want to use it, he need to ask.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
It's kind of sad that he actually wants you to remove the textures :( As small as the community is... But I guess you should have asked permission as he is indeed still around :)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
intercourse him, everything is copyrighted.

Use it, who gives a excrement. It's Dp2. It's a free game, that is very community directed, and the community should be open to helping other members of the community.

You'd think he'd be happy to see his work being appreciated, cause nobody else ever wanted to use his excrement.

He prob was just a bit salty that some wolf didn't put out on his date lastnight

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »
intercourse him, everything is copyrighted.

Use it, who gives a excrement. It's Dp2. It's a free game, that is very community directed, and the community should be open to helping other members of the community.

You'd think he'd be happy to see his work being appreciated, cause nobody else ever wanted to use his excrement.

He prob was just a bit salty that some wolf didn't put out on his date lastnight

Pretty much my thoughts. If someone used my textures, I'd be happy someone found some use for my excrement work.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:22:01 AM »
I guess it all comes down to respect. If he asked me to remove them, I would as it is his work.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
I guess it all comes down to respect. If he asked me to remove them, I would as it is his work.

I asked him a year ago, and got no response from then until now. If we are talking about respect, I received none from him. I don't see why to pay it back. I have no issue removing them if people think I should, but if I do, I recommend we remove about 3/4 of our active maps from the pool, as I'm sure they might use someone else's work.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 02:16:45 AM »
+1 Rick
Remove the textures Ace and all is fine. All rights on unibonger. You asked him and get "no yes". More Respect pls to other works.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »
I asked him a year ago, and got no response from then until now. If we are talking about respect, I received none from him. I don't see why to pay it back. I have no issue removing them if people think I should, but if I do, I recommend we remove about 3/4 of our active maps from the pool, as I'm sure they might use someone else's work.
I assume you messaged him on the forums? He isn't very active here and probably didn't notice the PM, doubt respect had anything to do with that situation. The difference here is that WarWulf has asked you to remove them, he obviously minds that you're using his hard work, whereas the rest haven't raised the issue. I don't mind if you remove them or not, just giving my insight :P

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
that's pathetic, there's no rights. He made some mediocre picture and released it to the public..... lol

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
I assume you messaged him on the forums? He isn't very active here and probably didn't notice the PM, doubt respect had anything to do with that situation. The difference here is that WarWulf has asked you to remove them, he obviously minds that you're using his hard work, whereas the rest haven't raised the issue. I don't mind if you remove them or not, just giving my insight :P

IRC. I asked multiple times, got no answer. Didn't feel like begging, so I just nodded him in the forum post. Well, I'll think about making my own if I manage to finish another beta anytime soon.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
Technically, you are not "using" his textures. You just gave a surface in a bsp file the texture attribute to use the texture available at pball/textures/whatever. I doubt he has a copyright on that filename because at least here in germany, a filename doesn't have enought creational value. As long as you don't distribute the texture itself, he probably can't do anything about it. There are many cases in the software world where this way is used to avoid licensing issues, for example Audacity doesn't (or at least used to not) distribute the LAME MP3 codec, they just link to it to their main website and people have to download that separately. If he wants people stop using his textures, he can only initiale legal steps against server admins that distribute his textures, but then again he published them so admins can distribute them, so I doubt that would lead to any success.

Still, in communities like this it would be nice to respect other people's work, and if he asks nicely you should probably fulfill his wish.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
Still, in communities like this it would be nice to respect other people's work, and if he asks nicely you should probably fulfill his wish.

Yeah, legally it's whatever. I just think it's a shame not to share. Guess I'll make better ones so that he doesn't get any recognition :)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »
IRC. I asked multiple times, got no answer. Didn't feel like begging, so I just nodded him in the forum post. Well, I'll think about making my own if I manage to finish another beta anytime soon.
Oh dang. Exactly what I would have done. Good on ya.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
just use it who cares what the furcigarette says its dp dude

People studied my demos without permission and copied my talented plays such as shooting and jumping. I AINT CRYIN

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
haven't heard uni have a non weird 'conversation' like ever. wait for him to see this thread claiming he has indeed lincensed them trelel

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »
haven't heard uni have a non weird 'conversation' like ever. wait for him to see this thread claiming he has indeed lincensed them trelel
Just to clear all this up. According to USA, Canada, and mostly other nations who have Copyright laws; the momnet to create an art piece or drawing or painting etc.. It is a copyright to the owner who created it. Whether it be computer or paper. It ddoesn't matter. Not saying what he's doing is right , but it is his right. That said, he doesn't need a licence for those textures etc.