Author Topic: BATTLEFRONT B4 - Out now  (Read 17240 times)

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
BATTLEFRONT B4 - Out now
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:48:47 AM »
Beta 4 released
Hope you'll enjoy.
I still need feedback.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:29:52 AM by MON1TOR »

Ace

• Autococker
Re: NEW MAP: BATTLEFRONT B1
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:00:20 AM »
Didn't download, can tell from the screenshots:
1. way too wide open
2. barrel tops are not used in the one screen
3. lighting looks nice, but could probably use a higher sun_light value to even out the patchiness a little
4. for being a big open square, it looks decent

I'm not sure many are going to be able to give advice on this one. There's no elevation changes, vis blockers, rooms, or really anything that separates from a lot of other beta maps that are never finished. From what it looks like, you have a decent eye for lighting effects, maybe try to use that in a map more complex than a large open square (we already have 500 of those).

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »
1. way too wide open
Yes, I know =[. Going to do something with that....
2. barrel tops are not used in the one screen
Mhm.. 2nd to do thing...
3. lighting looks nice..
THX!
..but could probably use a higher sun_light value to even out the patchiness a little
Okay.
1. way too wide open
ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
Guys, I'll be on a 4 weeks long trip, and I wont (probably) have internet connection. After that Ill resume mapmaking.

-MrVarron-

• PGP
nice idea
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »
not bad, and i think its a good alternative for lan-parties, but the map is a bit empty...

you can build a bit more hide places, and more imaginative designs...
the little houses in the corners looks a bit like beginner minecraft houses ;D
i meant this not badly i hope you understand ':S

the fences in the corners are a bit bare, you can build an attachment there like a pillar at the endings.

an other thing: youve made some texture fails, at example: the houses in the corner (picture below) and some other places where you dont have noted that the textures are not in the same direction like the object (picture below), use the rotation function in the surface window

the barrels are badly textured, some in the wrong direction, some clipped... here you can use the rotation function too...

look at all textures and designs, and build some more places where players can hide.
the idea is pretty nice, not new, but nice :)

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:05:46 AM »
Okay, finally got internet. Ill fix that, when im back in Hungary. I cant map now. Thx 4 feedback, m8.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:39:56 PM »
I've put your map up on the beta server so you can play test it.

You really need to work on your texture alignment.  There's a lot of stuff that's misaligned.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
I've put your map up on the beta server so you can play test it.

You really need to work on your texture alignment.  There's a lot of stuff that's misaligned.
=,(
i know.
I'll fix everything when back in Hungary.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:57:40 PM »
So, thing I need to fix:

Barrel tops (done)
Texture alignment
Barrel clipping
Fences
Make it less open (I'll make a big building with rooms, etc)
Lil house's textures (omg such a fail)
Any new feedback or new ideas?!

Hell i deleted my server w scrnshots on it.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »
Hmm.. might wanna make there be another way to get to low. For example, make a low entrance in each base. Also the less open thing is major. Might wanna add some cool jumps too

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
First attempts are for learning. I have only made 1 map but my biggest mistake was not thinking about the layout. Then I remade it with JMR with one rule: come up with a layout that will play well first. Go on paint and draw a plan view of it. Don't make shock_2.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
First attempts are for learning. I have only made 1 map but my biggest mistake was not thinking about the layout. Then I remade it with JMR with one rule: come up with a layout that will play well first. Go on paint and draw a plan view of it. Don't make shock_2.

Really this, go into the map with a layout. If you don't, it ends up really messy and difficult to fix.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 02:25:09 AM »
Beta 2 incoming. I completely re-made the map.
Beta 2 out (See first post). I completely re-made the map, because b1 was bad and unfixable (maybe I would taken 1 month to fix it?).
So, here it is.
Please provide feedback.
Hope you like b2.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:13:11 AM by MON1TOR »

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
Re: BATTLEFRONT B2 - Out now
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
(BTW if barrels are wrongly textured, pls dont alert me. No one would inspect the barrels like Sherlock Holmes while playing seriously.)
Maybe you should take a look here, first post, first item of the enumeration: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5149.0
Not aligning textures with the excuse "noone will look at them anyway" is a really bad idea.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:12:32 AM »
For barrels, boxes, etc. you can lock the texture alignment. It's very easy and and saves a lot of work. You only need to create a brush, align the textures and lock it. After that you can copy (not mirror!) and move the brush without any problems or misalignments.

Edit: It's helpful to use the 16 unit grid for the first alignment.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
Maybe you should take a look here, first post, first item of the enumeration: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5149.0
Not aligning textures with the excuse "noone will look at them anyway" is a really bad idea.
Fine.
For barrels, boxes, etc. you can lock the texture alignment. It's very easy and and saves a lot of work. You only need to create a brush, align the textures and lock it. After that you can copy (not mirror!) and move the brush without any problems or misalignments.
Danke

Pls post more feedback.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:42:24 AM by MON1TOR »

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
I just quickly looked at the map, these are the things I noticed:
It's pretty empty and you can walk from one base to the other in a straight line.
You somewhere used the e1u1/clip texture although it is not visible anywhere, which creates unnecessary dependencies.
You probably put a lot of work in the planks that are used as a roof and I like the look although the small height differences feel glitchy - maybe using a small clip brush can help there, especially when jumping over to the flag. The light in the wall might be a good aid for players that can't directly jump to the flag, maybe you should make it a little bigger, I don't know. The textures on the sides of some planks are misaligned / need to be rotated.
There are some light glitches near some lamps, but I don't know what you can do there.
The treetops - obviously - look unnatural, but I'm not sure about how to make them look more realistic while keeping player able to walk on them.
Can't say much about the gameplay because I didn't test it with other players.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
I just quickly looked at the map, these are the things I noticed:
It's pretty empty and you can walk from one base to the other in a straight line.
You somewhere used the e1u1/clip texture although it is not visible anywhere, which creates unnecessary dependencies.
You probably put a lot of work in the planks that are used as a roof and I like the look although the small height differences feel glitchy - maybe using a small clip brush can help there, especially when jumping over to the flag. The light in the wall might be a good aid for players that can't directly jump to the flag, maybe you should make it a little bigger, I don't know. The textures on the sides of some planks are misaligned / need to be rotated.
There are some light glitches near some lamps, but I don't know what you can do there.
The treetops - obviously - look unnatural, but I'm not sure about how to make them look more realistic while keeping player able to walk on them.
Can't say much about the gameplay because I didn't test it with other players.
Thanks for feedback.
I will add some boxes ---> map will be less empty.
Also, I'll try to fix the lamps.
Treetops? Well.... I can't do anything. I think its good like this.
Flag? This map is ELIM, there isnt any flag

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
Haha that red spot looks like a flag would be placed there. As I said, didn't really play it, just wandered around a bit to look at it.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:02 AM »