Author Topic: Spike lags hurts  (Read 7608 times)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
Spike lags hurts
« on: July 22, 2015, 05:48:02 AM »
At the moment I'm 1K fps on full hd settings, no black lines (packet loss), but I'm getting random spike lags. Drivers are up to date.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Spike lags hurts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
Lag spikes or framerate hitches?  What does your netgraph look like?  Does your framerate drop when these spikes happen?

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:05:32 AM »
Netgraph is clear, no lags, no packet loss. I have no framerate itches, I have Lag spikes. Tried restart PC, reinstall game, turn off all programs running on background, drivers are up to date.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:06:21 AM »
If it doesn't show on netgraph then it's not lag spike. Lag spike = your ping sky rocketing up for few seconds.

You might want to try and describe how does it feel, what happens during this 'lag spike'. Are the model players frozen? Do they move normally but you are frozen in place? Does your landing animation delay compared to normal? How often does it occur? At what occasions (fps drop on renoir, high speed ice, etc)? Enable cl_drawping, cl_drawfps, cl_drawpps, net_graph and sshot the screen when this 'lag spike' occurs and post it here.

Possible tests:
1) Reduce your fps to 200-400 - cl_maxfps
2) Turn on vsync and see if it helps in any way
3) Go to task manager and set paintball2.exe process priority to high
4) If you have nvidia post here your 3d settings (nvidia control panel > 3d setting > all these checkboxes), maybe you enabled sth by accidnt which causes these lags
5) Reduce your PB refresh rate if you have some gaming monitor the game might be running on 144hz, reduce it to 60hz (or if it is on 60hz, increase it to 144hz or w/e is your max hz rate of monitor)
6) Also, drivers up to date might not be the best thing ever especially for a game this old. Try downgrading few GPU drivers back, I remember I had to use driver which was 3 years old in order to not get BSOD in PB (in other games everything ran correctly, but lagged, since the driver was old)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »
It is something like fps lags, but i got 0 fps drop. It is really similar to it, everything is freezing sometimes and I'm playing like with 15 fps for 4-6 seconds... Every 5 minutes (not all the time). But my FPS is fine.

I tried to rent Arctic, sshoted when this lag happend, i was on some pub, sshoted when i got these lags, I was on Local server, sshoted i lagged like this on my own server without connection too. (sshots added)

I had some FPS drop only when I turned on netgraph to 1.

0 FPS drop on renoir or ice maps. (sshot added)

Sshots of my nvidia 3D settings added.

I will try other tips what u just wrote + if you can give me some website where i can download some old drivers for geforce gtx 960.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:32 PM »
Since you have a newer nvidia card, I'd suggest recording a video with shadowplay.  Screenshots aren't really going to show anything if there are no spikes in the netgraph.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 04:13:39 AM »
1080p, 60 FPS, 50 Mbps, H.264, 1 min. 30 sec., 529.4 MB - https://mega.nz/#!usZnQRAA!5XJI5_llmWsszVWDHlcaEu2Zs5VYavgoFlXhHzzlusI

As you can see, no fps drop only ping jumping difference 10 +-.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 05:32:39 AM »
You do have FPS drops there.

On the first real lag (when you jumped out of your base and almost reached the flag spot at 07.483), your video contains the same frame 5 times (07.483 to 07.550). That means you had 0 FPS right there for almost 0.1 second which obviously feels like lag (and you can see the red player freezing in mid-air). The game's framerate counter doesn't show 0fps during the lag because if the graphics card doesnt render an image, there is no way to tell you that your framerate dropped to 0. When the game starts being rendered correctly again, the framerate goes up to 1000 so fast that you can barely see it live, but looking at the video frame by frame, you can. The first frame after that lag, where your FPS goes up again, the FPS display shows 842, then 941, then 1000FPS.

First, I would try setting cl_maxfps to about 300 to see if a lower GPU usage helps (as already mentioned). If it does, it might be a thermal problen where the graphics card reduces its speed to not overheat.
I'd also suggest that you use some kind of graphics card monitoring tool post screenshots or logs here (GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner would do that)

Since the game doesn't separate all kinds of calculations and the rendering in different threads, any other bottleneck in the system could also cause that. What is your CPU? What CPU temp. and usage do you have while gaming (CPU-Z)?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:45:14 AM by xrichardx »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 11:51:50 PM »
set cl_drawfps 2

That'll give you a more accurate framerate (won't average over multiple frames, so the number will jump around a lot more).

Make sure you don't have processes in the background eating up CPU (browsers, virus scanners, etc.)

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »
I had to cap my framerate around 500-600'ish because the video cards were trying a little too hard to hit the max possible fps they could do and I'd get some visual lag like this.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 03:32:38 PM »
SOLVED. Thanks for the tips, i didn't had to set cl_maxfps, it's funny easy solution. I had to replace my VGA cable to DVI. I used switch between nVidia graphic card on one side DVI connected to Graphic card on other side connection for VGA cable. So i just removed DVI switch and replaced VGA cable with DVI cable.

You can lock this thread.