Author Topic: [Feature] Rate of fire - autococker, carbine  (Read 5400 times)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
[Feature] Rate of fire - autococker, carbine
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »
I have 3 feature requests which can bring this game on higher matchmaking level and can actually show all players individual skills and their imagination/outplays in matches. It would be really great if these features can be implemented into build 41. Features: smoke grenades update, chasing people [spectating cameras] in matchmaking servers, rate of fire - autococker, carbine. This thread is about rate of fire - autococker, carbine.

I don't know how, but ball speed got changed. I have no idea in which build, but a lot of people are getting nondie situations much more than before.

Thread about changed ball speed? Illuminati? http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=27448.0

So let the speed of balls how it is.

I suggest increase rate of fire on carbine by 15 % and on autococker by 22 %.

It will change gameplay of the game and finally when you will line right on the enemy you will kill him instead of being in "wtf" situation. Examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJNNvgietxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYzJKICv1Y

This will change matchmaking on higher level.

Please stop focusing on bots or other features and start implementing features which can make this game better in next build number 41.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
Re: [Feature] Rate of fire - autococker, carbine
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
I have to disagree on this one.

Ball speed and firing rate are two completely different things. The ball speed affects the probability of getting hit when jumping through a line only to a minimal extend - and a higher ball speed actually decreases the probability of getting hit since a slower ball stays longer in the area where it would collide with the player where a faster ball leaves that area faster (although I don't know how the hit detection is done and whether something like a player running into a ball would cause an elimination). The time until the next ball reaches that area is not affected by the ball speed at all, just by the firing rate. Obviously, a higher firing rate would increase the probability of the player getting eliminated. You can, however, in a game where the movement speed is close to not being limited, not really increase the firing rate to the extend that you will always hit people when lining somewhere. Also, you can't change the game so that whenever you move your crosshair across an enemy (like it happens a lot in these two videos) you eliminate him. You can not make these situations disappear, just less probable.

Do you really think a higher probability of hitting someone when just quickly moving your crosshair across him would raise the game's match level / skill requirement, especially when you just need one hit to get the elimination? I doubt it. I think it requires much more skill to aim at the right spot (in front if the players movement direction) for a longer period of time to be sure that you fired at least one ball in this time so that you hit that player. You like to compare this to CS:GO. There, it's also about keeping your crosshair on the enemy (and compensating recoil) as long as he is not dead. Lines like you would do them in paintball are not possible. Does that reduce the skill level? I don't think so. In my opinion it leads to many interesting fights.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »

Ball speed and firing rate are two completely different things. The ball speed affects the probability of getting hit when jumping through a line only to a minimal extend - and a higher ball speed actually decreases the probability of getting hit since a slower ball stays longer in the area where it would collide with the player where a faster ball leaves that area faster (although I don't know how the hit detection is done and whether something like a player running into a ball would cause an elimination). The time until the next ball reaches that area is not affected by the ball speed at all, just by the firing rate. Obviously, a higher firing rate would increase the probability of the player getting eliminated. You can, however, in a game where the movement speed is close to not being limited, not really increase the firing rate to the extend that you will always hit people when lining somewhere. Also, you can't change the game so that whenever you move your crosshair across an enemy (like it happens a lot in these two videos) you eliminate him. You can not make these situations disappear, just less probable.

Do you really think a higher probability of hitting someone when just quickly moving your crosshair across him would raise the game's match level / skill requirement, especially when you just need one hit to get the elimination? I doubt it. I think it requires much more skill to aim at the right spot (in front if the players movement direction) for a longer period of time to be sure that you fired at least one ball in this time so that you hit that player. You like to compare this to CS:GO. There, it's also about keeping your crosshair on the enemy (and compensating recoil) as long as he is not dead. Lines like you would do them in paintball are not possible. Does that reduce the skill level? I don't think so. In my opinion it leads to many interesting fights.

In this one i wans't comparing dp2 with cs go. There you have to learn how to spray down, crosshair placement, safe lines, movements, etc. etc., physics are different. A lot of people are crying because of nondies like this. As you can see in the videos, if the rate of fire was higher, maybe around 2-3 or 5-10 more balls coulde ve been fired and actually hit enemy. Something happened with ball speed. Now you can just jump thru the line and u will survive 50/50%. That never happened before and when u survived, u survived one of 100 lines. Increase ball speed or change rate of fire.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »
Well like richard said, the difference between ball speed and rate of fire is huge. Maybe a slight increase in rate of fire to compensate the lower ball speed could work well.

Defensively, I loved the old style where a line was almost a guaranteed ko, but offensively the new style is much preferred where I tend to make it through lines more than I get hit by them.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:42:24 PM »
I agree with the idea of a gun with a higher rate of fire than currently available. Sometimes I'll see a line in front of me and take my chances running through cause I could make it. This is apparent when someone is lining backdoor in airtime1 from the the base 'X' to stop someone from reaching the flag from bd to either grab a flag or capture. Of course a gun with a higher rate of fire would cause other problems like running out of paint, but would be worthwhile I think none the less. If not a new gun to achieve this, I'd say increase the auto cocker speed balls per second a bit (10-20%) and leave the carbine as is.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 01:14:39 AM »

Agreed. I don't think changing this stuff is a good idea, based on the nature of this game.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:35:53 PM »
"DigitalLazers: LazerTag 2.0".

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 04:39:45 AM »
i agree with changing ballspeed, its not a big deal, maybe someone is willing to provide a server with an increased ballspeed coughic3ycoughhisserversarethebestcough
its a simple server setting

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »
Is there a reason you want to change only firing speeds of autocockers and carbines? Also, why the specific numbers 22% and 15%?

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »
I don't like this idea. It would decrease the skill involved with leading your shots ahead of the player I'd ball speed is increased.  Although it would make rockitude less annoying to play against

Edit: Another plus is if you increase the rate of fire of the carbine it would feel more fun to play with, like the asm1 from Advanced Warfare
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:00:17 AM by Mission »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
I've added the ball_speed option to our matchleaser script. So you can edit it, if you want. Default is 2660.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »
lets do a vote here on forums..

and whats jitspoes opinion about this?