Author Topic: [Feature Request] Background for Menus when not in Game  (Read 3531 times)

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
[Feature Request] Background for Menus when not in Game
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
Currently, when opening a menu which is set to be transparent / have no background, some ugly (moving) artifacts will be rendered if the player is not in-game. Maybe this could be exchanged with a simple background, e.g. the main menu background.

Screenshot:

Video (this doesn't look that bad because I limited my FPS to 30 here to be able to capture it. When running this with more than 200FPS, the flickering cursor tail is a pain in the eye):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD60nXpsPPQ

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: [Feature Request] Background for Menus when not in Game
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
You can specify the menu background within the menu file.  How/why do you have an in-game menu visible outside of a game?

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »
I came across this very often when making menus because I tend to close paintball after testing, make changes to the menu file and then reopen it to look at the result again. For me, that gives two advantages over keeping the game running and using menu_reload: First, there is no GPU / CPU load when paintball is not running, so these parts don't heat up and produce noise. Second, my task bar is less cluttered. As the game takes less than a second to start and load a menu when using a bind or modified link, I don't see any disadvantages of doing it that way - except that you get these artifacts.
When implementing or changing widgets for any ingame menu, you have to recompile and restart to test changes, so if you don't want to load a map, you pretty much will always come across this.
On the other hand: Yes, you are right, a "normal" user would never see this and for debugging purposes I could temporarily add a background to the menu files - but I'm lazy :D.
In my opinion, accepting that minimal performance cost to eliminate the possibility of having these artifacts is worth it, but that is your decision. I just wanted to hear your opinion about this.

Anyway, I took a look at it and will append a really small patch file that would change the menu code to render cl_conback if there is nothing behind the first (bottommost) menu screen rendered. It's up to you whether you think it is unnecessary or too much of a performance hit.
By the way: What a shame people can't compile and use their own clients - I would do that right here.

//Edit: changed it a little bit to avoid unnecessary calls to DrawFindPic, although I couldn't measure any performance improvements.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:04:58 PM by xrichardx »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
You can use your own client, just not online -- for testing menus, this should work OK, right?

You want to just submit that to the CVS?  Hopefully the next version won't take as long to come out. :)