Author Topic: Weird error on some demos  (Read 8356 times)

Zenit

• VM-68
Weird error on some demos
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »
Hey guys, I rewatched a couple of (renamed) demos I saved before. On some demos an error occured: "Couldn't open pball/configs/rotation.txt". I am able to watch demos with the same maps that are on the mistaken demos though. I hope you can help me, since there are some cool shots missing now :c

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Weird error on some demos
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:47:45 AM »
Maybe you should give us a demo as example

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:29:11 AM »
The missing files (commands.txt and rotation.txt) in your config folder are no problem. The problem is, that it couldn't load the map file. Are you sure, you have the map file in the right folder?

Can you upload a working demo, a not working demo and the map file?

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:20:41 AM »
I'm not sure if the issue is in the mapfile because I can watch demos with the same maps that are not working on other demos anymore. (Do you mean by mapfile the normal map in pball-maps-mapfile (for example wobluda_fix) folder?)
Also i should mention that all the "errordemos" are made and renamed just few days ago.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
Alright, problem solved. The issue was in the spacebars. I renamed the demo to "02swob8.20,7.00" and it works again. I deleted all the spaces I had in the names. Thank you for offering help :)

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:18:55 AM »
http://www.pixenli.com/images/1456/1456585831044666200.png
It just seems like the game is trying to open the demo with their names instead of the mapnames. It Did happen oftenly to me when i did renamed my demos wrong. So it must be the same as i did, you did renamed them wrong by mistake and the game is trying to open the maps by their names instead of the real map of the demo.

Try to add at the name of the first demos: (_multipath_b2 )

And the second one you posted on the screenshot ( _tatras )

EDIT: NVM you just posted 3sec before my answer xD

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:27:48 PM »
Just to keep track of the bug: It is similar to this one: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10313

In the demo playback menu, the button and a double-click execute:
Code: [Select]
command "demomap $menu_demofile$.dm2; menu off"
where
demomap $menu_demofile$.dm2
is the part causing problems if $menu_demofile$ contains spaces.
Let's say the demo's filename is "my demo.dm2", so $menu_demofile$ would be "my demo". The above command evaluates to
demomap my demo.dm2
The demomap command (SV_DemoMap_f) passes the first argument ("my") in the command line as the filename to the map command (SV_Map function), which will now try to load "my" as a map. It adds ".bsp" since there is no .dm2 file extension anymore. There is no map file called "my.bsp", so the loading process fails from now on.

Possible fixes:
demomap "my demo.dm2"
works when entering it in the console, so somehow making the menu put the content of $menu_demofile$ in quotation marks would help, but I don't think its possible with the current menu parsing.

or:

make the demomap command pass on the whole rest of the command line as a parameter so the file name does not get cut off at a space. This is somewhat hacky but seems to work. Can be done by replacing
SV_Map(true, Cmd_Argv(1), false);
with
SV_Map(true, Cmd_Args(), false);
in sv_ccmds.c, line 474

I guess as long as it's not really fixed, paintball should at least fail with an error that makes sense for the user, like "demo names may not contain spaces".