Author Topic: How do we get granted permission to modify/Edit those maps  (Read 2644 times)

flamer

• 68 Carbine
How do we get granted permission to modify/Edit those maps
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »
Title says it all.

What's the proceedings to revive a map concept and everything?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: How do we get granted permission to modify/Edit those maps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
I think you have to contact the original mapmaker and ask them permission. It helps to obtain a .map file.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
Try to get permission from the mapper. If there is something you really love...

If you want to try to decompile, I've found WinBSPC to be the best option for q2/pball maps. (http://www.therazzerapp.de/tools/winbspc.html)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
Moved the topic to the mapping main board, because it's more a general mapping discussion than only for the map graveyard.

Good question and hard to find a workable solution. That's one of the main reasons why the Map Committee never published any stuff. It's nearly unable to work for years.

Anyway, you don't get permission when decompiling mapfiles with WinBSCP and the quality isn't as good as you think in my opinion.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:28:33 PM »
Anyway, you don't get permission when decompiling mapfiles with WinBSCP and the quality isn't as good as you think in my opinion.

Agreed, most of the time you end up with leaks, misaligned things, and ALL surface flags are usually gone (water, ice, etc). It is however great for learning, especially when it comes to things like moving ents, odd shapes, hint brushing, and bsp tricks.