Author Topic: Bug - Mirrored Sounds  (Read 2744 times)

Foxhound

• Autococker
Bug - Mirrored Sounds
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »
This isn't a bug as much as just an inconvenience.

I brought this up a long time ago, but coming back and playing now it's still super annoying.

What the problem is: You can hear peoples footsteps from across the map as if they were standing next to you.

For instance, load up shazam22 and have a friend on the other team; when you spawn one of you run around and the other just listen. You can honestly hear them pick up guns, barrels, paint grenades etc. as if they were in your base. You can actually tell which route someone might take based on this information.

I have a theory that this happens in .BSP when the map creator mirrors the map, but I know nothing about .BSP so I am most likely wrong.

doubt there is an easy fix, especially since you would most likely have to tweak each map individually, but a fix nonetheless would be awesome.

UnRateD

• Autococker
Re: Bug - Mirrored Sounds
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
shazam 22

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 12:19:29 AM »
I looked into this a little bit.  Here's what I think the problem is:

The sound plays at the player's last known location.  At the end of the round, enemy players are often in your base, so it will sound like they're in your base walking at the start of the next round until they're in line of sight again.  Their location doesn't get updated when they're on the other side of the map, as that would be bad for network bandwidth and performance.  Not sure of an easy fix that wouldn't break the network protocol.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
I'm pretty certain the sound of the enemy is directional too and moves. I could be wrong, I'll see about it when I get the chance.