Author Topic: Game movement is too fast?  (Read 2319 times)

Toriality

• PGP
Game movement is too fast?
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
Hello, what do you think about the player movement? Is it good or bad, why?

Zenit

• VM-68
Re: Game movement is too fast?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:40:53 AM »
(+):
- game is a one-hit-kill game, fhe fast paced movement equalizes the onehit factor (remove it and you have any other shooter)
- unique gameplay (based on quake engine)
- increases learning curve for both aim and movement so players can stick around longer to actually master it
- fun

(-):
- newer players will give up fastly, cause they don't know what is possible ("SPEED AND FLYHACKER WTF") (will be changed by tutorial improvements)

Toriality

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »
The speed allows many big jumps, and for me this is something interesting, but in aother hand the game rounds are way too short, like, the longest round I've played in this game was 1 minute long I guess. It could be something good because short rounds = fast spawn so you don't have to wait too much to play again, but it also could be negative because make the game less competitive.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »
Sometimes the rounds can be short, that is correct, but this is caused of the respawn time, which is 60 seconds (in matches). So the time depends on how your team plays, you either eliminate the whole enemy team or you play tactical by grabbing or getting eliminated on purpose. So I wouldn't say short rounds happen because of a fast player movement.

I don't know if you are already involved into matching (2s/3s...) and the clanscene, which is the competitve part of the game. If this is not the case, I can help you getting into that and explain some basics, if you are looking for competition. I need your ingame name then (feel free to pm if you don't want to post it).

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:32:59 PM »
(-):
- newer players will give up fastly, cause they don't know what is possible ("SPEED AND FLYHACKER WTF") (will be changed by tutorial improvements)

I don't think this applies anymore like it did years ago when DP was in it's "most active" stages. Games nowadays are difficult to learn. People usually start games with friends and learn together.

Look at fornite, basics are easy (like DP) -- but to be really good its extremely difficult and takes many hours. Same can be said for Overwatch, League of Legends (have to level up to 30 just to do ranked, which is a lot of hours, not to mention the learning curve of getting high elo).

The speed is what makes DP what it is. Remove that, you have no players. People who stayed playing for years, stayed for the community (as much as we all female dog about it) and the physics. Nobody stayed for the graphics or shooting mechanics.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
I don't think this applies anymore like it did years ago when DP was in it's "most active" stages. Games nowadays are difficult to learn. People usually start games with friends and learn together.

Look at fornite, basics are easy (like DP) -- but to be really good its extremely difficult and takes many hours. Same can be said for Overwatch, League of Legends (have to level up to 30 just to do ranked, which is a lot of hours, not to mention the learning curve of getting high elo).

What you said is true about nowadays games. But for DP, you could also see this from another point of view: When people click on "Play" for the first time, they probably see around 20 players online, if not less. So from that first impression, they might already think no developer/admin cares about the dead game anymore, which is why it is full of hackers ("FLYHACKER SPEEDHACKER WTF"). That's what a friend told me, when I showed him DP.

From nowadays games, people know what they are able to do in their game, just by looking at the startpage of Twitch or YouTube. Just take Fortnite as an example, both Twitch and YouTube are loaded with videos about it. Compare that to DP - I doubt, people would look for a video of DP when they just did a ragequit after getting one-balled from the sky, which is why they might not understand that there is a pretty big learning curve in that game. IMO the possibilities of jumps and movement should be shown at the beginning of the game, in the tutorial.

I might be completely wrong, but I think that this is one of the (obv many) factors for new players to leave the game as fast as they installed it.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
The speed is what makes DP what it is. Remove that, you have no players. People who stayed playing for years, stayed for the community (as much as we all female dog about it) and the physics. Nobody stayed for the graphics or shooting mechanics.

This.

>Starts game...
>Sees the 2-3 active players
>Enters server, sees how excrement the graphics are
>Notices how the gameplay is different to other fps'
>The 2-3 active players start talking excrement
>Comes to the forum
>Sees the exact same 2-3 active players trolling on the forums
>Realises that they're the current best and only clan in the game
>Deletes game