Author Topic: 20 Year Anniversary Mapping Competition  (Read 8830 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
20 Year Anniversary Mapping Competition
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »
Starting now, you have exactly 2 months to complete a map (8:00 PM EST July 31 is the cutoff, that's midnight GMT).

- Maps can be built solo or in teams.
- Maps must be built during this time frame.
- Any game mode is fine (but try to focus on 1 and specify which you want to be judged on).
- Getting betas out to play before the cutoff date is recommended (follow the usual procedure for releasing maps).
- Max limit: 2 entries per person (ex: 1 solo map and 1 map built as a team, 2 solo maps, 2 team-built maps).
- Custom textures are allowed.
- Follow the guide for releasing maps: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5149.0
- No offensive/explicit/nsfw/etc. content.  Use common sense and keep it kid friendly.

If you're releasing or working on a map for the competition, make a new thread for it in the beta/in-progress maps (http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?board=24.0) as you would a normal map release and post a link to that topic here.

WarWulf

• Autococker
Re: 20 Year Anniversary Mapping Competition
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
Woot woot.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »
Sounds good, I'll try to find some time :)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
You go bois ! Unleash the kraken inside your spirits and make us some decent maps. So far BASEBALLDUDE has the lead with orion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:59:23 AM by JeongWa »

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
It sounds like a lot of people were busy and unable to finish in time.  Perhaps we should extend this another month to get more entries?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »
Yes, why not :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
Ok, extending this until the end of the month!  Get your entries in by September!  I'll try to do a BSP tutorial to help out any new mappers that might wish to participate.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:22:07 AM »
:o Ooh goodie

Makowiec

• VM-68

lords8n

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »
*blink*

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
Can we extend the deadline to the end of this weekend? Map needs more work than I realized...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.  Between Labor Day stuff and doing things the last few days before the LawBreakers servers shut down, I haven't had time to wrap this up.  I'd like to get a group together to actually play the maps so we can judge based on gameplay.  Let's plan to do that next Saturday (Sept. 15) at Noon Eastern time.  Feel free to iterate on your maps until then.

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
My rating would be the following.

concrete:

gameplay pub ***½
gameplay match ****½
design *****

overall rating ****½

rushed:

gameplay pub *****
gameplay match ****
design ***

overall rating ****

orion:

gameplay pub ***
gameplay match **
design ***½

overall rating ***

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 02:37:55 AM »
Thanks for helping evaluate the maps, rockitude!

Sorry I'm a bit delayed on this.  Life has been busy, as always.  I was trying to think of a good prize, and how to go about selecting a winner, and here's what I came up with, since it was actually a tough choice for me:

Rushed, I feel, has the best gameplay for low population servers.  Works very well for 2v2, and while it looks simple at first glance, has a lot of subtle nuances that are pretty well thought out and catered to the Paintball2 style gameplay.  I think the layout is solid and would love to see it put out with some visual polish, so I'm giving it #1 for (low pop) gameplay.

Concrete has the top aesthetics.  Unfortunately we didn't have enough people to test it with more than 3v3 to see its true gameplay potential.  It could probably stand to be shrunk down to better reflect the current community size, but I'm giving it #1 for visuals.

Orion went through some pretty major revisions based on beta feedback, so I'm giving it #1 for renovations.

Yes, this is my cop-out way of not having to pick a single first place winner. :D

As for the prize: each of you gets to pick 1 small feature for me to focus on next.  Time is tight, so it needs to be something I can knock out in less than a day, ideally.  I reserve the right to refuse if it's a feature that's too significant to implement or if it's really broken/dumb/offensive.  Use common sense. :)

Also, I'm going to be gone for a couple of weeks, so you have plenty of time to decide.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 07:37:55 AM »
Thanks for helping evaluate the maps, rockitude!

Sorry I'm a bit delayed on this.  Life has been busy, as always.  I was trying to think of a good prize, and how to go about selecting a winner, and here's what I came up with, since it was actually a tough choice for me:

Rushed, I feel, has the best gameplay for low population servers.  Works very well for 2v2, and while it looks simple at first glance, has a lot of subtle nuances that are pretty well thought out and catered to the Paintball2 style gameplay.  I think the layout is solid and would love to see it put out with some visual polish, so I'm giving it #1 for (low pop) gameplay.

Concrete has the top aesthetics.  Unfortunately we didn't have enough people to test it with more than 3v3 to see its true gameplay potential.  It could probably stand to be shrunk down to better reflect the current community size, but I'm giving it #1 for visuals.

Orion went through some pretty major revisions based on beta feedback, so I'm giving it #1 for renovations.

Yes, this is my cop-out way of not having to pick a single first place winner. :D

As for the prize: each of you gets to pick 1 small feature for me to focus on next.  Time is tight, so it needs to be something I can knock out in less than a day, ideally.  I reserve the right to refuse if it's a feature that's too significant to implement or if it's really broken/dumb/offensive.  Use common sense. :)

Also, I'm going to be gone for a couple of weeks, so you have plenty of time to decide.

WOW! I did not see that coming! That is such a cool prize. I am not sure how much time it would take to implement my feature request, so it has hard to know if it considered a small feature or not. (It would help me significantly though.)

I created the feature request here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=28634.msg258577

Thank you for the feedback! I'll have to get a new version of rushed done. :)