Author Topic: New map: Concrete (contest entry)  (Read 5210 times)

Makowiec

• VM-68
New map: Concrete (contest entry)
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:47:28 AM »
Hey, it's been a while :>

I made concrete for the anniversary mapping competition. It's a grey themed, medium or big sized map (I'm not sure which one yet). It supports single flag, two flags and deathmatch modes. Players start with lower tier weapons, but they have plenty of pickups to choose from when running around. I also included a few jump pads which I don't think is common here  :o .

Since I don't know too much about mapping for Paintball I would love to hear what you think about the maps layout.

Let me know what you think, I want to know everything! :>

Download (beta 1):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hmp73hdp68g3l1s/concrete-b1.zip/file

Download final version:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/filestore/maps/concrete.zip
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:22:14 PM by jitspoe »

JeongWa

• Autococker
Re: New map: Concrete b1 (contest entry)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:03:03 AM »
Really good looking map, few tweaks would make it more enjoyable tho.

Good luck with the map, its awesome man ! wp wp

Ediit: The best maps i've seen in years ^^
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:35:25 AM by JeongWa »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
Looks really good, i like that style. Can you please upload the _aceflags texture folder?

There are some little misalignments, but much less than on other beta maps. Good job :) The only confusing thing is the orange/red box color at the yellow team. Maybe you can change it to yellow. ...and the jump pads could push me a little bit higher ;)

I've uploaded it to our server.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Like the others have been saying, this is a very good lookin' map. I like your use of custom textures.

Consider taking out the reflective water. It causes r_speeds to spike in certain places, causing considerable lag even on my Windows 7. Type 'r_speeds 1' into the command window while playing the map so you can see the wpoly count. Wpoly can get over 6000 on your map, and ideally you want to bring it under 2000.

Another thing about the water, I shouldn't be able to walk on it as if it were solid ground. Jesus.

Just running around on the map, I think it would be fun to play. I like how there are some skill-based jumps but also easy straightforward paths for beginners. This is a balance that I am trying to strike with my own map.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »
Texture pack must be by some idiot :)

The reflective water does raise r_speeds a bit when combined with clips and multiple trans flags, but i still dont lose fps, so im not sure it's an issue.

I like the clipping above water gaps, as a nice effect. But i would prefer it kept me level with the water, not a few units above it.

There's a few ramps up top that can be abused a bit for some pretty insane jumps. If you want to keep the looks maybe consider clipping them to get rid of some of the rng jumps.

Overall, nice map makkers.

Makowiec

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
Okay, I'm going to adress the issues you guys pointed out and tell you my plan for the next update.

T3RR0R15T:
I could upload the textures if *.wal is fine. But these are for triggers and stuff, so I might as well replace them with a pball texture. I also found some misalignments, but I'm not sure if I've got all of them. For the orange boxes... I was kinda hoping i can gett away with that, because I'm too lazy to make a yellow version and orange was already there. I'll think about boosting the jump pads a little bit.
Also thanks for uploading, I would love to playtest it!
BASEBALLDUDE:
You know you can turn off water reflections in the settings, right? I don't even know if I can make water non-reflective. The map can either stay pretty or have low r_speeds. Now the reason I decided to clip the water is so people don't get stuck on it. After all you don't want your strafe ruined by running into a pond edge. Especially while holding a flag ;). Maybe I'll go for ace's suggestion to level clip brushes with the water surface as the tiny edge it will create won't clip anyone.
Ace:
I'm not sure how can you abuse the ramps, I'm pretty sure I'm aware of eveything that you can do with them. Let me know if you want to show these jumps to me.
JeongWa:
We talked this in discord DMs, and he suggested adding an easier route from the lowest map part to the flag. I'm considering adding stairs where the func_plats currently are (the ones next to flags). Let me know what you guys think, it's kind of important. He also suggested unblocking the roof above the white flag room, which is currently clipped. I think I'm going to go for it - will be possible to get there with a teammate's boost (as Jeong suggested as well). Last but not least he mentioned some corridors to be a dead zone when getting shot at from anywhere, so I'll probably be adding some obstacles in the way for player to hide and run away.

Thanks for your feedback guys, I also really appreciate your positive comments :>

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 05:13:15 PM »
The map looks great! You've shown really well what can be achieved with minimal detail and textures. 

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
Looks good!  Part of the problem with the reflective water is that a different reflection has to be rendered per plane height, so if you have 3 water brushes visible that are at different heights, it'll have to render the world 4 times (once normally and 3 reflections).  This is the case around the flag.  You have water in the spawn room, water around the flag, and water on the lower level.  You could adjust the spawn room water height to match the flag water height and add some geometry and/or use some hint brushes to block off the lower water area to help a lot.  Even without the water, though, there's a lot of map geometry visible standing on the flag area looking out.  That's an area where there will be a lot of combat, so it would be good to keep that as optimal as possible.

The middle flag might limit the paths people take and strategies people use.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  People will always have to take that route to prevent the enemy from just grabbing and capping that repeatedly.

Makowiec

• VM-68
Re: New map: Concrete (contest entry)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »
Okay, so I've made some last minute changes and I think this is the final version, as I don't really have time to work on this map in near future. It might feel a bit rushed but I hope you can still enjoy it.

Changelog:
- swapped flag elevators for stairs
- slightly buffed the jump pads
- leveled as many water planes as I could
- added hint brushes (don't have high hopes, they didn't help much)
- opened side entrances to the white flag room
- opened upper mid area, accessible through teammate boost
- fixed texture alignments
- orange boxes are now yellow
- more boxes overall

That's all I think. Again i hope you enjoy this map and I kinda still hope it can do well in the mapping contest  8)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3lyd3i7ccsk4hkr/concrete.zip/file

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:46:43 AM »
Love it

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »
Very professional map. Nicely done!

SHARP. :)

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 09:22:30 AM »
Hello guys,

The map has received an update concerning the structure and the playability.

If you are a server hoster, I'd highly recommend using this map for speed, PGP and competitive servers.

Thanks to Makowiec for putting all the efforts into making and modifying this Decent map.

Attaching the latest version of the map into this post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:47:51 PM by JeongWa »

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 01:30:48 AM »
Hello guys,

error during rar extraction.. Never mind, I had the opportunity to play this map several times and I prefer more classical PB maps.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »
The file is compressed, you either need WinRAR or 7Zip to extract it.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
I had the opportunity to play this map several times and I prefer more classical PB maps.

Yeah, we need more grass/cliff maps.  :)

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
The file is compressed, you either need WinRAR or 7Zip to extract it.
Do you think I dont know that? .. It help desk :)

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 04:41:03 PM »
Do you think I dont know that? .. It help desk :)

The error you got from extraction is from your side, calm your titties, how can you get mad from somebody helping you?

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »
Bleh
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:05:20 AM by Ranger »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 05:36:26 AM »
No problem with the file here:

ftp://otb-server.de/pub/Maps/concrete.bsp

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New map: Concrete (contest entry)
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
Hello guys,

The map has received an update concerning the structure and the playability.

If you are a server hoster, I'd highly recommend using this map for speed, PGP and competitive servers.

Thanks to Makowiec for putting all the efforts into making and modifying this Decent map.

I zipped this up with the textures and edited the first post to add a link to it: http://digitalpaint.org/files/filestore/maps/concrete.zip

Moving this thread to completed maps.  I did notice one minor issue -- since the game mode isn't specified in the worldspawn, you can load the map up in centerflag mode and cap the flag at the enemy base.  That could be fixed with an ent file, but it might be nice to fix the actual map.