Author Topic: Feature Request: Server-controlled HUD Elements  (Read 2663 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Feature Request: Server-controlled HUD Elements
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »
Feature Request: Server-controlled HUD Elements

I am going to describe the ideal version of the feature. However, multiple boxes is not a necessity.

The ability to create HUD elements that can be toggled in and out server side, with support for new lines and screen location.

The command could contain four arguments:

▪ Unique name identifier
▪ X location (to be normalised)
▪ Y location (to be normalised)
▪ String (with support for \n and colour characters)

________

Ideal commands:

createinfobox <identifier> <x location> <y location> <custom string>

toggleinfobox <identifier> <state>

Code: [Select]
createinfobox "box1" 0 0 "Waiting for all players.\n---------------\nTeam 1 (3/3)\nPlayer1\nPlayer2\nPlayer3\nTeam 2 (2/3)\nPlayer1\nPlayer2
Code: [Select]
toggleinfobox "box1" 1

Why?

The only server command I have found in dp that seems similar to that is called "cprint." However, it is not very useful unfortunately because it only allows one line of text and it is not very readable. It prints text on the center of everyone's screen with no background and the message rapidly disappears when replaced by center prints coming from in-game such as the "Match starting in..." messages.

The commands would allow server owners to create custom HUD elements of their own that display information. This would create many possibilities for making custom gamemode systems that are friendly for new players, so they don't have to keep opening their console to read messages from the server.

In my case, I can use it for to produce features for my upcoming system that will make it much more accessible.

Some examples of features this would make possible:

• ▪ Player rank list.
  • ▪ In-game clan leaderboard at the end of a match
  • ▪ Current status of who the server is waiting for to start the match
  • ▪ Current map voting pool

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Server-controlled HUD Elements
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:21:51 AM »
Hmm... I'll have to see how feasible this is.  I think we may have maxed out the number of HUD elements available in the Quake2 protocol.