Author Topic: new map: temptare_b5  (Read 7954 times)

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
Re: new map: temptare_b5
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
BETA 5 IS OUT!http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26724.0;attach=11180action=dlattach;topic=26724.0;attach=11178
-Again a new beta?
Yeah, sorry for my beta "spamming" :D but I fixed some things I forgot in b4. (You can read them in the main-post) :)
Too bad your link doesn't work (no idea how you messed that up).
About "spamming": Just take your time before any release, otherwise nobody will want to check next beta if it doesn't show any progress.

My complains about map:
-Teleporters=BAD
-Mid too small
-Side way from low is way too lineable
-Why is main way blocked from side of base?
-Low is too separated from main

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 09:07:51 AM »
Too bad your link doesn't work (no idea how you messed that up).
About "spamming": Just take your time before any release, otherwise nobody will want to check next beta if it doesn't show any progress.

My complains about map:
-Teleporters=BAD
-Mid too small
-Side way from low is way too lineable
-Why is main way blocked from side of base?
-Low is too separated from main
OK, link should be fixed now I dont know what happened :p
Thanks for the feedback
-Teleporters: I have 2 opinoins, some guys say (and they are not nubs) they like them, other guys say the dont like them? what shall I do?
-Mid too small: Why is it to small, why should I make it bigger?
-Sideway too lineable: yes ok, I agree, any ideas wht to do here
-Low is too seperated from main: fifty / fifty :D The low "normal" entrance is far away, but the sideway and the teleporter isnt
Again thanks, Ill look what I can do :D

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
-Teleporters: I have 2 opinoins, some guys say (and they are not nubs) they like them, other guys say the dont like them? what shall I do?
Teleporters help line/spawn, it's all they do.
-Mid too small: Why is it to small, why should I make it bigger?
Mid is where you normally fight, and on your map it is done very bad (lineable nearly as bad as on daylight or prolandr, but smaller than on both maps, also no easy way to reach main).
-Sideway too lineable: yes ok, I agree, any ideas wht to do here
I have no idea why it is even there. But it's your map, you decide what to do with feedback.
-Low is too seperated from main: fifty / fifty :D The low "normal" entrance is far away, but the sideway and the teleporter isnt
On many maps mid is big and every path cross it somewhere (countless maps). Sideway entrance is hidden, slow, lineable; teleporter is one-way path that will make you die if someone is there, and separate if nobody is there.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Hm, Okay I understand that Mid thing, if I make another map I'll add that there, because I cant really make It bigger without making the HBD bigger, what would make the map even more unbalanced. But thanks for the feedback payl, that helps me a lot and I am getting better with every map I make IMO.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »
My Judging:
This is MY opinion. I'm sorry if everyone does not agree with me. If you feel I have marked wrong or anything, please PM me with DETAILS.

Also, I may leave some text the exact same as used in judging other maps, as it may be relevant to yours

Detail - 66/100

Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.

Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25)
Things seem to be relevant to the theme, although the theme is lacking in the this map also.

Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (15/25)
Everything looks a bit oversized. The base is the nicest looking part of the map.

Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (21/25)
A few pieces of detail are able to used for jumps, the rest seem to provide cover from the enemy.

Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (10/25)
Lacks detail in the higher paths, I feel the base is a bit cluttered, as everything is so big.

Jumps - 75/100

Judge based on the jumps of the map

Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (15/25)
The map is kind of small and I think, could be improved by a couple of jumps to avoid ladders. (You could also make getting over the bunker a bit easier).

Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (20/25)
The jumps are very well placed, except for the jump to get over the bunker (It's very awkward).

Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (20/25)
Everything seems okay besides what Jitspoe stated. Oh, and the ice jump (not really a jump) speeds you up just so you can hit your head in base. :P

Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (20/25)
All the jumps are fairly easy, the one to get over the bunker gets annoying, though.

Gameplay - 45/100

Judge based on how fun the map is to play

Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (7/15)
Everything outside of base seems to flow okay, not the best though.

Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (4/10)
The only items I could find were ammo in base, could spice it up a bit by dropping the weapon tier down a little and chucking in some better weapons in the main entrance bit.

Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (4/10)
Spawns are very close together, could chuck some spawns in the main bit with lower tier guns or something. They aren't facing walls, so gj :P

Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(10/15)
The lines aren't very interesting, line of sight seems okay though! I like that there isn't a single point where you can line everything with ease, though.

Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (10/30)
I think it will be way too easy to defend the flag, as people will either come up the ladder or behind the flag to grab, which is very easy to line.

Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (10/20)
The ice path seems a bit too fast compared to the other paths. As you spawn in the 'shelter', you either need to climb a big ladder, or make an awkward jump out of base. If you miss the jump, the other player would be at least halfway low and if you climb the ladder it would be about the same as missing the jump.

Technical Skill - 43/50

The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (25/25)
The r_speeds are fine.

Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (6/10)
Just a few little misalignment and I've never been a fan of overlapping brushes (mid).

Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (12/15)
Everything is very straight and boring, could use some more interesting brushes. Other then that, it seems fine.

Innovation - 5/50

Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?

Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (5/50)  
eh, it's nothing special or very unique. Doesn't really stand out from the crowd.

Overall - 234/400

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »
Judging: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26586.msg243261#msg243261

I've uploaded b5 to the beta server.  I have a bunch of suggestions I can make a demo of, but I think I'm going to wait until you've taken feedback from the judging and released a new beta.  Biggest issues are:

- Getting over the bunker to exit the base.
- 2nd high path being way too long.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »
Still Rick's template.

Detail - 85/100

Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.

Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25)
In a generic pb2 map setting, it works very nicely together. Nothing really clashes.

Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (20/25)
Yes, lots of nice clean corners, but not too many harsh angles. Generally goes very nicely.

Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (20/25)
Only gets in the way where it's been deliberately used for gameplay features, so this is another good mark.

Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (25/25)
I'd say just the right amount.

Jumps - 65/100

Judge based on the jumps of the map

Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (15/25)
Possibly too few, although mid jumps are flexible.

Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (15/25)
They're generally needed for navigation, and fairly easy to spot.

Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (20/25)
Those which are there are all necessary to get around the map.

Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (15/25)
I couldn't find anything very difficult in here, but on the other hand, some necessary jumps such as simply getting out of the base to the mid path (from the ground) may be out of reach for beginners.

Gameplay - 50/100

Judge based on how fun the map is to play

Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (10/15)
Other than aforementioned base exit, everywhere is easily accessible, although the tiny ladder to low is pretty awkward too.

Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)
Only spotted basic ammo placement.

Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (2/10)
Seems like a spawnkilling paradise, with only a few of spawns all next to each other in a tiny area.

Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(8/15)
There is a lot of potential for lining base to base down the low and mid paths, which is kinda ridiculous. High paths are better shielded.

Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (25/30)
The slight area of separation is nice. This seems to work out alright.

Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (5/20)
The high path is slowest because everything else is ice. Seriously, 1 ice path is just about tolerable, but 2 is ridiculous.

Technical Skill - 50/50

The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (25/25)
Couldn't find anywhere over 1k wpoly, and no reflective water. Perfect.

Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (10/10)
Didn't spot any obvious misalignments.

Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (15/15)
All good here :)

Innovation - 10/50

Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?

Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (10/50) 
Nothing stands out by itself, although there were no maps too obviously similar, so I'll give you 10 points for that.

Overall - 260/400

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 01:43:07 AM »
Played this on a Social Saturday a while back.  Brushwork seems pretty solid, and the map looks clean.  My biggest complaint is that the most straightforward exit to the base is the most awkward.  You have to jump on the bunker on the left, and it's really easy to get hung up on the wall.  Also, not obvious or easy for new players.  If you intend this to be a path, I'd just put some slopes on the sides of the bunker where players can easily just walk over it.  If you don't want it to be a path, I'd completely remove the  bunker on the left.

Another thing I'd suggest is putting something on the teleporters to make them more obvious.