Author Topic: * New event: Competitive saturdays *  (Read 2313 times)

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
* New event: Competitive saturdays *
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »
Just tossing this idea here:

TL:DR:
- Set time and date for competitive event (1st saturday of the month, 8 PM UTC ->)
- Map pool (map elimination)
- Player pool (random teams/drafts) / clans

Competitive saturdays

Date and time:
- Every first saturday of the month at 8 PM UTC (your local time) those who want to play the game competitively gather around to do some matches.
- Keeps the competitive scene alive as competitive players know when they should be playing.

Map pool:
- should be chosen prior the event. I am thinking of maybe 12-20 maps.
- Mainly CTF but I want to include tdm, siege and possibly koth, should suitable maps be made/tweaked from existing maps
- Every team gets to eliminate 2-3 maps from the map pool and then the maps are chosen as random
- 1 map per match, the map is played till there is a winner

Player pool:
- Participants join the player pool
- Random teams chosen from the player pool / clans / draft from the player pool, whatever fits the ongoing theme
- Teams stay the same till the end of the event. However, should people drop out during the event, we will adjust the teams as best seem to fit
- Every team plays against every team
- at the end of the event, count the points and announce winner

Would be fun to track the stats on long run and do a discordbot for this in the future, should the event get popular.

Got your interest? Great! Share your opinions and spread the Word! Feel free to tell me your suggestions and opinions here or on discord at DP2 channel (you can find me there under the name: whoa)

JeongWa

• Autococker
Re: * New event: Competitive saturdays *
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
Sounds great to me if it can gather teams to play against.

Tho CTF is the only mode that attract me personally on a competitive level, any other mode IMO is rather fun than competitive.

Classic question asked in any tournament, how do you gets to decide which server to play on when there is NA & EU players ? :]

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
Re: * New event: Competitive saturdays *
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »
As the teams are chosen randomly to face against each other, we could just say that the team that gets picked first is the host and gets to decide server.

About the game modes: have you ever tried TDM with a team and an opponent who plays tactically? TDM can be fun and really competitive when played with the right guys. Same goes for the other game modes too. But apart from CTF, the other game modes need a lot of work: better maps or tweaking the current maps with .ents (DM is horrible with full autos, it's probably only good with pgp + low tier weapons). Also there are a lot of open source DM maps for q2... we could nick some of those