Author Topic: Request: Slight ball speed increase  (Read 2361 times)

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
Request: Slight ball speed increase
« on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »
Nowadays the majority of active players are EU, so most matches are played on all EU servers. I ping 125-140 on them, a difference of around 80+ ping to the euro players. I don't mind playing all EU server but I feel like a lot of my opponents are able to speed through lines so much easier now, especially on servers with ping disadvantage, and despite getting into a position first on the map to set up a line where players speed jump out of, 80%-90% of the time they're able to run through it, and with a huge ping disadvantage, not getting that kill allows the enemy with a much lower ping to have the edge when it comes to aiming and hitting the opponent first because not only are they moving much faster, I have to readjust my shot to where they're going on a delay on top of thinking to myself how the intercourse they get through my spray so easily in the first place. Main example of this is on pbcup_pforest. I don't know if something has changed, if i'm just garbage, or if the server you're on makes a difference but I never used to have this much trouble hitting opponents speeding out of wet over bridge from dry area under mid switch/near autococker house. I find that 80%-90% of the time now, the enemy is able to just speed through it like it's nothing. Shouldn't you have to actually try and outplay your opponent (watch the line to decide whether to jump it or crouch it or take another route/go under the bridge, or call for a teamate to doubleteam/go out in two different spots etc) if that one player has been able to get out onto the map faster/controlling an area first, giving up a better gun(autococker on house in dry) to do so instead of just relying on getting lucky by speeding right through a line successfully 9 out of 10 times because of ping/ballspeed. https://youtu.be/X2HAYHxEvZY?t=305 (this is the line i'm talking about, i'm putting myself in the open, high risk high reward(imo best playstyle), to control as much of an area as I can on the map. With a slight increase in ball speed or a fix on maps where spawns allow you to get out to mid faster for example with that line i'll normally have an automag/spider instead of a carbine or autococker, players will have to either get faster to contest mid areas of maps, or actually outplay their opponent. So many times back in the days with myers/chem mostly, we'd go to game 3 with the top EU teams all because of server advantage, or EU playing a map we never played before and I think with faster ballspeed, the game will be more balanced and rely on more skill over luck.  

Screenshot: When i'm on NA server vs EU players it's so much easier to speed out and control areas on maps without getting hit first, force fights, go for high risk high reward plays because I know I have an advantage not only with ping but with not getting hit as often by lines/shots and I don't think it should be this way. I guarantee you I ran through plenty in this game vs McGregor all because of ping advantage/ball speed working together in my favor.  

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:25:30 PM by shockwave »

Zenit

• VM-68
Re: Request: Slight ball speed increase
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
I don't think ballspeed matters that much. Imo that line usually was a 50/50 line (as you can even see in your video example). I never played back in the days with higher ballspeed though, I started in 2013. Maybe you should try to place your crosshair a bit higher (definetly higher than in your video), that way it works for me most of the times. I don't really mind a change in ballspeed though, just giving my experience on that line specifically. Would be something new to adapt to and if it helps you getting better scores (and even winning a map) it's even better.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 03:08:49 AM »
I don't think increasing the speed of the paintballs will decrease the ability for players to move through lines.  It will likely have the opposite effect.  Let's take a look at both extremes:

1) Paintballs go so fast they move from the gun to the wall instantly (basically hitscan weapons).  This means that any frames the gun is NOT firing, you could move through the line.  There would actually be no line, as you'd have to be aimed directly at the player (on the server side) when you fired to hit.
2) Paintballs go so slow that you can line them up end to end and form a solid chain of balls.  Disregarding gravity and other factors that would make this impossible, you can see how slower paintballs actually make a stream that's more difficult to jump through.

I think what you actually want is latency compensation to make playing on different servers more consistent and balanced for different pings.  Latency compensation would fastforward the ball position and/or rewind player positions based on ping when doing hit detection on the server to make them more in line with what the client sees.  This is pretty standard in modern shooters, and if implemented correctly, means you don't have to lead based on your ping to hit targets.  You can lead the same amount on a local server as with a 200 ping.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 03:33:37 AM »
I think the game needs to completely remove the bouncing off effect of the bullets past a certain distance/height.

Exemples:
- (airtime) 1on1 fights on airtime's balconies;
- (shazam22) you canno't hit somebody on the base-cocker boxes if you are standing & shoting near BD boxes ;
- (pbcup_pforest) You can't hit somebody on Sniper-TOP from Hill.

How is that that my bullets losing speed while travelling aren't able to hit a non-moving target and just bounces off?

Concerning the latency compensation, this is a brillant idea and knowing how spread the community is between regions of the world this is something that would highly improve the experience of anybody playing DP2.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
This is not about ball speed is it. I can post sshots from 50 other "ball speed" problems vs you doe.

Post sshots from other 2 maps as well doe. Wink. We can compare ball speed from the other ones as well.

If that's an achievement for you to win one map vs McGregors, then good on you POG

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
Ballspeed/ping/server advantage

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 03:41:19 AM »
I think the game needs to completely remove the bouncing off effect of the bullets past a certain distance/height.

Exemples:
- (airtime) 1on1 fights on airtime's balconies;
- (shazam22) you canno't hit somebody on the base-cocker boxes if you are standing & shoting near BD boxes ;
- (pbcup_pforest) You can't hit somebody on Sniper-TOP from Hill.

How is that that my bullets losing speed while travelling aren't able to hit a non-moving target and just bounces off?

Concerning the latency compensation, this is a brillant idea and knowing how spread the community is between regions of the world this is something that would highly improve the experience of anybody playing DP2.
I'm really not a fan of being able to eliminate players at such crazy ranges.  Some of these maps, such as airtime, are a bit deceptive on distance since they're so barren, but I measured it, and balcony to balcony is about 80m.

I think the issue with shazam22 is the sky being so low.  It's easy to clip it, which makes the paintball disappear.  I'm not sure if I have the correct location, but you can hit there if you crouch to avoid the sky.  That's a map issue.

pforest is another kind of obscenely large map, but also, you're shooting up.  That's part of the mechanics.  Gravity can work with you or against you depending on your position.

One of the things that sets paintball apart is the fact that you have to get a little more up close and personal.  I really don't want people to be able to pin down a path from like 100m away.  The game isn't fun when paths can just locked down from almost one base to another in my opinion.  I want people to engage in a combat dance, not just hold lines.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »
I understand your point but whats the meaning of being able to shot and visually see my bullets going that far if its not to hit ? Perhaps the balancing of speed & range should be adjusted to less range but same speed if you don't want it to be overpowered. I would still be satisfied with the bouncing-off effect being removed and you would accurately see the range of which your actual bullets goes & canno't reach than being frustrated.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
@jits @shk A good player is supposed to adapt to changes, I don't mind change of physics, nor delay on NA servers. Once you understand physics of the game and how the bullets work, it's not big deal. Adapt to it, easy solution :)