Author Topic: Dusty Deathrun - Beta 1  (Read 3826 times)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
Dusty Deathrun - Beta 1
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
So this is a project I am working on for some time now.
Well at first it will be necessary to explain what deathrun is about.

Mainly the main idea of deathrun is the fallowing. There are two teams: the defenders and the offenders. The aim of the offenders is basicly to reach the end of the map which has some things in common with a jump map. The aim of the defenders is to prevent the offenders of reaching the end of the map. They can trigger traps by shooting at buttons which stop or kill the enemies. These traps can be invisible, very nasty or easy to avoid, so basicly they can have any form. But they have one thing in common: they always change the environment of the offenders in a unprofitable way.

In this map the attackers can profite of reaching the map as carrying the flag which is worth 50 points or killing the enemy team. Also there are two versions of this map, an easy version and a more challenging one. Talking of the gamemode there might be also changes in the future. Whether I stay on CTF or change it to SIEGE is not clear at the moment. A problem might be, that normaly there should be less defenders than offenders so that seems to be a bit of a problem regarding autoteambalance. Furthermore the map contains a jail. That architecture of the archway took me some hours i hope you like it ^^.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS: Just two notes: The gravity is on 1300 so it can work properly. Otherwise the map had to be huge. Second, the water is lava :)

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: Dusty Deathrun - Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
interesting concept...

I don't think siege will work because teams switch from defending to offense. Unless you want that.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
Very unique idea!

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
the idea is actually taken from CSS :)

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
i actually like the idea of this.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
there is one thing i don't like about this forum. I can map whatever i want, nobody is interested in it. I mean no feedback means to me the map is perfect, so i could declare to a final and nobody cared.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
Well some people only check forums when theyre at work on lunch break (Me right now). so i cant actually test the map.. When i get home i have many other things i like to do before i can actually consentrate on Paintball....

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
well i am mainly talking of university, where feedback came when i wanted to release it as final, but before nobody answered for 4 betas so around 4 months or so. And here it looks like it was the same. I mean other people release 5 maps in 5 months and get feedback for all of them. I take the time to properly map them until i can't find anything more to fix and it'd be cool to have feedback that give me the feeling that it was worth the effort.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
Make it easier to get to the other team's base. Right now the defense has too large of an advantage.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
as soon a player with jump skills is in the attacking team the offenders will have their problems as the attackers can easily gain more speed by bunnyhopping

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
We played it today and i love it. Alot of fun.
The only thing that sucks is the gravity when you jump.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
thx :)
yeah you have to get used to it. I don't think the concept could be realized with normal gravity :/

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »
It took me a long time to get used to the higher gravity, but I guess the map would have to be huge if not for that.  I guess you could make the ceiling really low, but that would probably be equally awkward.

I think I'd make the buttons just pushable instead of shootable.  At point blank range, you have to aim above the buttons to hit them.

I think this map would probably be best as a siege map, since the teams will alternate each round, so everybody gets a chance to play both sides.

The map doesn't feel very "dusty". :)

I'd make the paint/lava to be not transparent, but set the translucent flag on it, so lighting goes through, and use some colored texture (something like in bombsaway).

Map's up on the beta server.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
Its more fun with shooting at the buttons. + it would be 2easy with just touching them

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 04:04:54 AM »
Played this during Social (distancing) Saturday, and people didn't seem to get the hang of it.  Pretty much nobody made it past the first wall blocker, though it was somehow bugged such that the wall stayed up until you shot the button, instead of appearing when you shot the button (maybe because warmup ended with it up?).  One person made it as far as the fans, once, but that was it.  The heavy gravity makes it very difficult.  You see a jump that's super easy to make normally, then you jump and die.

Some ideas:
- Make the platforms wider, so one person standing in the way can't block everybody (can't jump over them with the high gravity).
- Try to make it with normal gravity, but have some things that stop people from just speedrunning through the whole thing super fast (ex: a small room with a ladder you have to climb).
- Maybe instead of killing players when they fall, teleport them back, except for the death traps, so they can spend more time trying.
- I think this is a case where a jail doesn't make sense -- I'd rather be able to keep trying while dead so I can get the hang of it.
- I like the siege idea, as it gives all the players a chance to play both sides, though the timer might be a bit short.
- Instead of having the flag at the spawn, have it at the end where the cap is and set "endsround" to 1 on it, so the round ends when it's capped (if you don't go with siege).

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »
Fortunately I still have access to the mapfile. It's tempting, I might go back to this map, it was definitely one of the most fun projects.

* Absolutely, I can see it getting claustrophobic real quick with a good amount of players
* A lot of work, putting some "waiting rooms" in between is an excellent idea, I could even reuse the jail for it
* My mapping knowledge is rusty right now, but I'm rather sure I have no way to make the water a teleport. I would honestly just suggest playing it with a low respawn timer and try not to die all at the same time haha
* you are absolutely right, I was probably just having fun making that jail, no reason to have it really
* Siege is the closest to the optimal gamemode for this map, but yeah the timer is definitely much too short.
* I will move the flag to the end, having to actually carry the flag to the end is actually excrutiating, no idea what I was smoking.

Other points:
* I have no idea what's going on with that wall, it sounds familiar, I'll have a look at it
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:48:12 AM by Rockyar_96 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 11:40:50 PM »
Next build, I'm adding a teleport entity that can be used as a brush.  Currently, you'd have have to place a ton of individual teleport entities.