Author Topic: brokendojo (beta 8)  (Read 2868 times)

JeongWa

• Autococker
brokendojo (beta 8)
« on: December 12, 2019, 03:51:24 AM »
Hello, I've Been working on a map recently, gonna share it.
I'm not a great mapper, got about a hundred hours into mapping and most of it being figuring how editors works but i'm pretty satisfied with this one. It's pretty simple and open space.

Few screenshots:

Voir l'image en grand

Voir l'image en grand

Voir l'image en grand

Voir l'image en grand

EDIT: The map uses few custom textures, make sure to put jeong folder inside pball/textures folder.

Last, thank you whoa for your help with fixing stuff, glad you are muli-function  ;) .
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:03:54 AM by JeongWa »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: brokendojo (beta 7)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
Cool!  Looks like you're improving quite a bit on your mapping.  Not going to nitpick all the texture alignment stuff right now, as I think it's important to solidify the performance/layout/errors first.

- There are some improperly set textures: pball/dojo2, e1u1/damage1_1, and __tb_empty.
- My laptop struggles a bit with this map.  Not only are the r_speeds pretty high, but there are a lot of transparent surfaces drawing on top of each other.  This is pretty much worst case, as it means each pixel has to be drawn multiple times.  It would be nice if you could find some ways to break up the long sightlines so not so much has to be rendered at once.  Balancing gameplay, visuals, and sight lines for performance is a bit of an art.
- Custom textures seem a bit on the bright side.  Keep in mind that the textures should be a bit darker than in full light, as the lighting doubles the brightness.  Imagine them being in the shade or so.  Probably around 50% of full-sunlight brightness.  Also, make sure you have permission to distribute whatever works of art these are.  You can't legally just grab any old image on the Internet, modify, and redistribute it.
- rar file isn't structured for easy extraction.  Should have the map in pball/maps/beta and the textures in pball/textures/<yourdir>.
- Try to keep the details out of large, open areas where the r_speeds are already high, like the gifts around the tree.  Boxes of pictures in the hallways are a good way to do it, though.

Sorry I wasn't able to get this up in time for this Social Saturday.  We can playtest it next time and I'll have more feedback on the gameplay.

JeongWa

• Autococker
Re: brokendojo (beta 8)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 07:28:45 AM »
Beta 8 Changes:

- Improperly set textures: Fixed.
- Reduced the r_speeds (wpoly's) by 1/3rd on the entire map.
- Restructured the rar.file: Done
- Removed the gift in the open area.

@jitspoe As for the lighting of the painting, may i ask you how should i proceed to reduce it ? ( I was thinking of adding the following specific to the paintings brushes: _sun_light value to half of the sun_light i use in the worldspawn ? but i am not sure if it is the correct way of doing so.)

I don't think i'll be able to lower the r_speeds more than that and i'm not willing to sacrifice the middle ramp neither the base coloured windows as i feel those are part of the map. Unless people have tips to share !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 10:33:14 AM by JeongWa »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 03:33:06 AM »
You just need to adjust the brightness of the texture itself.  Keep in mind that things are going to be 2x brighter in full light in game, so you want textures to be kind of mid shadow brightness.  They don't look too bad now, just a little glowy, like they're backlit.

Speaking of lighting, you'll want to use -extra when compiling, to make the lighting look less blocky.  Also, looks like the reflected light might be too bright (happens if you're not using the modified palette included with the BSP pack), so you may need to use -texscale 1

We'll give this a go during Social Saturday today and see how it plays.  Sorry I didn't notice you posted a new version sooner.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 04:09:41 AM »
I don't really have a whole lot of feedback from playing on Social Saturday.  There was too much banter going on, like SMN talking about falling off a cliff, so I wasn't paying too much attention to the map itself.  Seemed to play fine, though.  Only thing I found a bit awkward was going around the ice in the tunnels that had narrow, 90-degree angles.  Don't know how easy it would be to make a 45 degree section on the tunnel at the corner to smooth that out, but it might be worth investigating.  Other than that, there are a lot of misaligned textures.  Might want to tackle those now if you're happy with the layout.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 06:49:03 AM »
Don't mind this.  Just putting the text "brokendojo" in a message to see if the search finds it.