Author Topic: "Remote" Map Change Capability  (Read 3664 times)

eateR

• PGP
"Remote" Map Change Capability
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »
I seem to keep running into this stupid issue where the servers map is different from my own, even though I know the map hasn't changed in eons.  Not sure why, but it happens quite frequently.  You're either forced to download (from GT) or simply are refused connection (from ch1ll). 

What about some sort of "remote" command, like connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;login blah;newmap blah.bsp

Except that it recognizes the newmap and instead of proceeding to verifying the current map, it simply switches to the map designated.

Just a thought.

Sprinkle

• VM-68
Re: "Remote" Map Change Capability
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:28:23 AM »
You can with rcon, but login was designed more along the lines to just be a way to limit commands while inside the game.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
just ask Mr. Bain to add a function to his bot that allows you to change the map, it is very simple to implement. He would have to make sure that no player is on the server, to prevent mapchanges during a match, but other than that all the bot has to do is send "sv newmap xxx" with the correct rcon-password to the server.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:23:04 AM »
The problem is whenever you get that problem, generally the server needs to be restarted completely.  I'm not allowing map downloads from the ch1ll servers because every time that happens people would be downloading a corrupt map, causing problems when trying to play that map again.  I'll see what I can come up with though.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:30:55 AM »
hmm setup a cron script and have it do rcon quit

:D

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »
hmm setup a cron script and have it do rcon quit

:D

lol, can your tcl-bots not directly query the server? you'd need a cron to have the server restarted, but not for the quit, do you?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
not for quit, only for the start up.

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 10:41:41 AM »
Yea, you can quit the server through the eggdrop, you just need to have it restart via shell..  I use to have something similiar setup for the snowstorm servers, but I cant remember if it was a feature of screen itself or if I had seperate bash scripts for the PIDs.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 10:51:03 AM »
ya a simple cron script will restart them, or you could always have it do exec server.cfg

i think...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »
No ideas on what's causing the corrupt maps yet, bain?  I was thinking of adding a special option that would load the map like 3 times and compare checksums, and if they differ, try again.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
I'm already using rcon quit to restart servers(I've got a script that automatically starts the server when it ends/crashes running in screen) but the solution requires a little more then just a 'rcon quit'.
I have to create two more lists that store the login and password for each servers.
After I've quit the server, I need to create a time to poll the server until it's back online, then once it's back online I need to rcon the login and password back to the server.
Also I need to check that the server is empty(easy enough since I already have that done) and make sure that another !match after a !restart doesn't try to get the server in the process of restarting.

Sounds easy enough, but TCL is a real pain :P and my hacked together command line rcon tool crashes TCL scripts when it returns any info.

Jitspoe: No idea but I just upgraded the kernel for a security patch, maybe that'll fix it.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 07:14:04 PM »
i can make a mirc one easily jesse =]