Author Topic: Official Feature Vote of 2007  (Read 221637 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Official Feature Vote of 2007
« on: February 21, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
Build 17 isn't finished yet, but requests still keep pouring in, so I figured I'd start a new thread where people can vote on what they want to see next.  Votes aren't limited to game features.  You can vote for things like wiki or forum enhancements, more high res textures, maps, models, whatever you think is most critical for me to focus on.  I'm allowing multiple votes this time, but please limit your votes to things that you think are the most necessary in the immediate future.  You can always vote for more stuff later.  I can only do one thing at a time, and I already have a gargantuan TODO list.  I need help setting priorities.  Also try to gear your votes toward what will help bring in new players and build the community up if possible.

I'll start off with my vote: faster in-game file downloading.

I think all the waiting for maps to download is one of the biggest turn-offs in this game, and there are always new maps being built.

Smokey

• Autococker
Re: Official Feature Vote of 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
Build 17 isn't finished yet, but requests still keep pouring in, so I figured I'd start a new thread where people can vote on what they want to see next.  Votes aren't limited to game features.  You can vote for things like wiki or forum enhancements, more high res textures, maps, models, whatever you think is most critical for me to focus on.  I'm allowing multiple votes this time, but please limit your votes to things that you think are the most necessary in the immediate future.  You can always vote for more stuff later.  I can only do one thing at a time, and I already have a gargantuan TODO list.  I need help setting priorities.  Also try to gear your votes toward what will help bring in new players and build the community up if possible.

I'll start off with my vote: faster in-game file downloading.

I think all the waiting for maps to download is one of the biggest turn-offs in this game, and there are always new maps being built.
A wiki doesn't need to be done by you :)

I also vote for in game HTTP downloads :)

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 03:14:53 PM »
Another vote for HTTP downloads here.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Add the ability to use variables in the "filedir" for menus. Why? So I can make a menu that displays a picture/thumbnail of the map that is selected with out making 700 menus.

Code: (example) [Select]
widget
   type pic
   pic maps/$map_name
   [...]

I don't know about you, but I cannot remember what map has what name.

Edit:
Oh, and a link to the Wiki would be nice, like under 'Links' at the top or next to it or something.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:08:20 PM »
- Female player model or remove the setting ;D
- Reactivate the fun options like wave1, wave2, wave3...
- New game mode? Bombing Run

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
- Reactivate the fun options like wave1, wave2, wave3...

Reactivate? Isn't it already activated?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »
Only wave1 works. At all others only the console says "taunt", "wave" and "point", but the model do nothing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:30:11 PM »
Just a quick tally:
3: faster in-game downloading - jitspoe, Smokey, Tinman
1: Variables in menu widgets (for map previews) - Zorchenhimer
1: Female player model - T3RR0R15T
1: Wave animations - T3RR0R15T
1: Bombing run game mode - T3RR0R15T

Note: the gender is just for death messages (example: "T3RR0R15T eliminated herself with a paint grenade" if it's set to female).

Isn't bombing run basically like 1-flag CTF?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »
I'll second the wave animations.

Gremlin

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 08:42:11 PM »
faster in-game downloading should be high up on the list, especially when it comes to some of the larger maps. what about menu links to sites where the player could possibly go to get the map from a website? would that make it easier/faster for new players to get the maps?  i'm no programmer and i'm basically ignorant to what it takes to do something like this, so if it's not even feasible, disregard. i know cheat protection/detection is a BIG issue. i also know you have been workin your ass off on it but i thought i would bring it up anyways. (=
personally, i would like to see more of the hi-res textures. i think a visually appealing game with the more realistic textures would really help keep new players around. ALSO, new guns, i'm not talking about redoing all the rates of fire/accuracy or anything like that, just new gun models. some of the guns that are in the game now are obselete dinosaurs, i've seen this pointed out in a few other threads, i don't think it's vital to have in the new build, just something to look into in the future. new players that have maybe just started playing paintball irl would stumble across this game looking for paintball gear and stuff on teh internets and be drawn in by the new flashy guns they see on the fields being used in a video game. just a thought. ok i think i have rambled enough, don't want to turn this into one of those epic posts lol. if i can think of more ...i'll be back....ha

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:49 PM »
If a map is going to be available for download from a server , have a way to make sure all sounds/models/textures/etc get downloaded as well

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:42:15 PM »
If a map is going to be available for download from a server , have a way to make sure all sounds/models/textures/etc get downloaded as well
I vote for pk3s

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:55:37 PM »
New map format and faster downloading.

[bd]imalamp

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »
If you have so much work to do get some help, i mean everyone on this forum can't be as dumb as me and i think they would help. Ok, on topic. I play psp so i am jsut used to lonmg download times, but i think the need in almost all games is: interactable enviroment/customization/rank, rosters, like a score bord.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »
New menu format :)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 10:57:05 PM »
Revise the whole color scheme for funnames or do away with it all together.

Going through logs to find some players who use the present funname scheme is next to impossible because the code is logged instead of the name you see in the game.  That code needs to be stripped for logging.

Also, things like colors and underlines need closing tags so they don't run all through the rest of people's names when you look at scoreboard, type "players" in console, or do an rcon status check.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 10:59:39 PM »
Revise the whole color scheme for funnames or do away with it all together.

just do away with funnames, they are very distracting

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
Implement the Quake 3 name color system, carrots are so tasty and easy to use for colors!

abrken

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 12:44:34 AM »
Hello All,

this are my requests (peharps it's already exist in dpb) :
- Display an in-game real time clock
- Have a clock alarm with 2 diffrent alarm : 1/ ring at setted time 2/ stop program at setted time
- Enlarge the lists (server list, player list) so that they can display more letters
- In server list show different colors for 1/ full servers 2/ password locked servers
- Have a "best of" page on the web site showing 1/ the more played maps 2/ the bests players (algo should be discuss)

At the moment, that's all !

PS : please continue to have paintball running on my PII !

AbrKen.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 12:51:16 AM »
Hello All,

this are my requests (peharps it's already exist in dpb) :
- Display an in-game real time clock
- Have a clock alarm with 2 diffrent alarm : 1/ ring at setted time 2/ stop program at setted time
- Enlarge the lists (server list, player list) so that they can display more letters
- In server list show different colors for 1/ full servers 2/ password locked servers
- Have a "best of" page on the web site showing 1/ the more played maps 2/ the bests players (algo should be discuss)

At the moment, that's all !

PS : please continue to have paintball running on my PII !

AbrKen.
This is a game, not a digital alarm clock :)