Author Topic: Guide: Releasing a New/Beta Map  (Read 11228 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Guide: Releasing a New/Beta Map
« on: February 26, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
When releasing a new map, here are the steps you need to go through before it's finalized.

1) Build the map to completion as best you can.  Align all of your textures, run a final compile to get full vis and lighting.

2) Give the map a beta extension (example: yourmap_beta1.bsp or yourmap_b1.bsp), and zip it if you're releasing any other media with the map.  Be sure to include the directory structures as follows:
pball/maps/beta/yourmap_beta1.bsp
pball/textures/yourtextures/yourtexture1.jpg
pball/textures/yourtextures/yourtexture2.jpg

Players wanting to test the map should be able to simply extract the zip to their paintball2 directory.  Beta maps should always be kept in the maps/beta directory to avoid clutter in the maps directory.  Also, be sure to use all lowercase for the map file name.  Some OS's are case sensitive and if you use different cases, it can cause problems.

3) Create a new post in the Mapping Forum containing the following:
- A brief description of the map (be sure to mention different game modes if there are any).
- A couple screenshots of the map to give an overall idea (no need to go overboard and try to cover every square inch of the map - just enough to give an idea of what the map looks like).
- The above zip (either as an attachment or link).

4) If the map is considered complete enough for beta testing, it will be put in rotation on the beta server for play testing.

5) Listen to the feedback people provide and make changes as necessary.

6) Post a new beta of the map, increasing the beta number (yourmap_beta2.bsp, yourmap_beta3.bsp, ...).

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the bugs, texture misalignments, gameplay problems, and other issues are worked out.  The final map should just be the last beta renamed.  After the map has gone through sufficient testing and no errors are found, it will be moved to the completed maps subforum.

I've also made a wiki entry here: http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=New+Map+Release+Procedure
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:35:01 AM by Chef-Killer »

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Guide for Releasing New Maps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »
That's why i don't release a map until i hear opinions on my screenshots. The general reaction to ss's should tell you if you have done a decent job making, and detailing a map.

As seen on the other forums, don't release your first map being a box with a few crates and barrels, put your heart into it, or atleast alittle brainpower.

soldier

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
My brother is making a map, and I am thinking about asking him to show me the basics so I can try, once he is done, so that I can use some of the ideas I have. Also, out of curiosity, how many beta versions does an average map have, and how long does it take to make an average map.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:01:20 PM »
First off you need to learn to start new topics.

Second you will have as many betas as you need until it is perfect.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:59:30 PM »
And don't post a map after 2 days :) For a good map, you will need weeks and months.

soldier

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:56:58 PM »
Alright, thank you chef-killer, but KiLo, although I apreciate your input, I was asking how many betas are made for an AVERAGE map. I apologize if I didn't point that out, that was my fault that you misunderstood I geuss.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 05:37:30 PM »
it is an impossible question solder. If you make a map well, and spend a long time developing it originally there may be less betas. I imagine one of your maps wouldn't actually make it past beta stage, so in answer to your question, the number of betas can be from 1 - infinity.

soldier

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »
Alright alright, I get the idea, thank you lekky.