Author Topic: NewMap: DDay Paintball Style  (Read 23203 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: NewMap: DDay Paintball Style
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 08:18:32 PM »
I don't know.
I'll have to look around for it...so many backup CDs to go through lol.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 10:34:38 PM »
seen the pics, (now that im home) cool map, looks just like alot of other DDAY maps, but may be fun to play round in

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 11:31:39 PM »
This looks fun to play in. Do the ships actually move forward to the land? That would be cool if they actually did that.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »
The ships probably don't move (don't know for sure) they are just there for show and an obstacle most likely.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 10:58:48 AM »
the ships never move no matter what  u play for DDay it seems like...

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 09:09:41 PM »
Do the ships actually move forward to the land? That would be cool if they actually did that.

Not trying to be mean but what really is the point of having the ships moving when this is fast paced game. I don't think the ships are going to go 30-35 mph (average for most players I believe) so there really is no point in having them move

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »
There is a HUGE point in having them move, and only two points in not having them move.

Let's start with the two points in not having them move; lazy, and don't know how. Good enough?

Good...

Why your boats should move:
You are simulating a real event in a real place at a real time. That being the case, you should attempt to recreate, not only the look of the place, but also the feel, the atmosphere, the ambiance. Starting your offensive players in a few stagnant boxes out in the water may work, but imagine spawning the offensive in a transport ship that actually approaches the shore and has the door swing down releasing everyone inside to move forward and attack the beach head. Imagine your approaching ship being pelted by long range fire from high up on the hill. A few men go down as the door opens and the troops come running out. Bodies laying everywhere, you make it to the first line of cover, look around to see who made it, and initiate your final offensive for the flag. To me, making the boats move, and moreover, making the door operate to release the troops once at the shore, is crucial to making the experience.

Making it work:
In Normandy the allied troops greatly outnumbered the German defensive forces. This won't be the case in your map. In Normandy allied forces had one path, all be it a very wide and steep one. Your map shouldn't have one path.

You may consider making a main central up hill battle area in the middle. On either side would be a set of mountains that contain seaside caves with tunnels leading up to the top without having to run the gauntlet up hill. Timing is everything. Make the tunnels too easy and fast and everyone will use them. You have to make a balance between the two. Go the tunnel route and not be under constant fire, but the route is slower and more bottlenecked at the end and susceptible to "lining" (god I hate that stupid word), or go straight up the middle under a more open constant fire, but be able to reach the flag much faster.

You must also carefully plan where you want to place the defensive line. If you allow the defense to get too close to the beach the offense will never make it off the boats. You may also consider giving the defense the lowest guns, but very large ammo and co2. And give the offensive very high guns, but low ammo and co2. See where I'm getting at here? Defensive forces have worse weapons, but their stockpiles are good. Offensive forces are coming off of transports and not able to carry unlimited supplies. Put some supplies in key, risky, areas on the beach so they can replenish from their fallen comrades.

Good luck with this.
Don't be slack, if you're going to do it go all out and do it right.
If done correctly this could be a nice map.

I also have plans, well let me rephrase that, I have started and failed several time, but still plan to succeed, in making an air siege map where the offensive force air drops out of a plane onto or close by the base to be attacked. One day maybe!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »
I've never actually tested this, but I think siege actually supports 3 teams, so you could have 2 attacking and 1 defending.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
I've never actually tested this, but I think siege actually supports 3 teams, so you could have 2 attacking and 1 defending.

I f so then how come on siege castle or zsiege there aren't three teams scores like on shazam44 (Yeah yeah this is CTF).

Also how would the scoring work with 2 attacking teams.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
Because maxteams is set to 2.  I'm not sure how the scoring works.  It has never been tested.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »
That would be nice to play if you want to hone your killing skills.

Paint-Magnet

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
dont liek it, bad idea, lmao jp man good work looks good cant wait for final

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
Because maxteams is set to 2.  I'm not sure how the scoring works.  It has never been tested.

Just tried to see if it would work. No luck. I might be doing something wrong though. I have a map and bsp file that I quickly put together attached.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 05:26:14 PM »
I guess it doesn't work.  Heh.  I always spawned as red.

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »
woah S8N, perhaps you were a surviving member of the DDAY attack? Lol, i guess all the stuff that you mentioned would be crucial for a map like this.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »
This is still alot of work in progress and i will be mapping it for a long time.
The lighting needs to be fixed and the ships will be more detailed and moving soon but when I get around to detail it will work and yes it is seige.
I hope you guys like it and i hope its a fun pub/match map.

Still UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
well keep us posted with some new screen shots 8^)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »
okay will do...
will post some new ones in a couple days just need to touch up things first.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
S8N, do you still have your version of this? cause your mapping skills are way better then mine so if you could make a version and let me see it then maybe i could use a little bit from your map to make my version stronger.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 02:32:38 AM »
I have changed the map up quite a bit and have added alot more time and detail into it, the map still isnt even close to being half way done but I will post screenshots of what the map looks like along the way.

Here are some new screenshots:

]

I still have alot more to put into this map and havent even started on the flag base, im just building and detailing the paths up to it. What do you guys/girls think so far?