Author Topic: Adrenaline?  (Read 3362 times)

at.hybrid

• PGP
Adrenaline?
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:43:03 AM »
I know you guys have probably heard this one over and over again, but how about an adrenaline addition?

Since I've upgraded my computer I was playing with the motionblur effect (along with playing most of the NFS games). And it occured to me, why not make this feature a bit more practical?

So here's my idea, I'm not any good with the Q2 engine and not sure if this is entirely possible. But what about adding in an adrenaline meter based off say...how many paintballs zoom past your head, how many people you hit etc. And after so much, adrenaline kicks in, where you increase the running speed of the player and add the motion blur to give it that feel. Also this part I'm still not sure on because I know EAX is still experimental, but would it be possible to add a reverb / delay to the sound to make it echo? Or possibly cut out the treble to muffle it?

That's kinda the general idea, as I said, dunno if it's possible, but it would be cool. I thought about maybe slowing the environment down when adrenaline is on, but I imagined that wouldn't work due to the server synchronization (It would throw the player out of sync with the rest of the server. Unless you could create like a buffer or something...)

So there you have it, I myself think this would be a neat addition to the fast-paced gameplay. (Though prolly abused by noobs :\ )

Some of my other ideas that I know for sure are not possible with the q2 engine would be effects such as bloom (or even possibly HDR lighting), maybe bump-mapping etc. But you know, I tend to get ahead of myself :\ maybe DP2 doesn't need any of that.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Adrenaline?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:34:51 AM »
Your idea sounds pretty interesting, but I dont think its something DP2 needs.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:42:20 AM »
I know you guys have probably heard this one over and over again

Haha I love it when people start their posts like that...

But, hybrid, if you think it's a valuable idea, please suggest it here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5060.0.
It may catch on, it sounds pretty neat.

Cheers,
y00tz

Edit: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but it's like F.E.A.R.'s reflex time?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:47:06 AM »
I think that's a pretty nifty idea.
Adrenaline kicks in allowing you to run a good bit faster at the expense of motion blur which affects your ability to see and aim whilst blazing a trail. THEN you have to have a recoup time once you stop running where you're breathing really hard and your aim bobs up and down with your accelerated heart beat till you recoup and relax, but your vision is no longer blurred.

Sounds cool except for the fact that running a little faster than the already 70MPH you can run now would be a little much.

I do think adding a little motion blur into the current system for players accelerating past a certain speed would be pretty cool.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:07:12 PM »
Unfortunately motion blur isn't supported by all cards, and as S8N pointed out, you can already build up speeds of 70MPH with strafe jumping (and even in excess of 300mph when on ice).  It would be more fitting for a game that has a bit more realistic player movement.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:28:46 PM »
and even in excess of 300mph when on ice

The highest I've seen is a little over 700 mph.

at.hybrid

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 06:11:37 AM »
Yeah I understand the support, but it seems almost everyone these days use some type of higher-end graphics card. And I had thought about the realistic player movement (Still think that should be fixed even though I do it, it kind of unbalances the game between the ones who know how to do it, and the ones who don't.)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:21:09 AM »
:O I thought this game already had motion blur...?!?! darn i didn't realise how fast i was.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 06:45:32 AM »
lekky that's just your eyes going bad.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »
(Still think that should be fixed even though I do it, it kind of unbalances the game between the ones who know how to do it, and the ones who don't.)
sv_airaccelerate 1

The game feels really weird with that setting, though, and it upsets a lot of players.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
But what about adding in an adrenaline meter based off say...how many paintballs zoom past your head, how many people you hit etc. And after so much, adrenaline kicks in.

(Though prolly abused by noobs :\ )

What i dont get is what you mean by abusing. if it would be an environmental thing like the amount of speeding paintballs near your player, or a kill streak thing, how would you be able to abuse it? to use it you would still have to put yourself in a dangerous position or get a 1337 kill streak going. its not like a command you can type every ten seconds to put yourself ahead of the pack. I say, if your willing to risk being shot at to get adrenaline, you should be allowed to have something like that.

Some day, users will be hooked up to their computers through electrons, heart monitors, and the like, and when you get an adrenaline rush, your player will react. I'm not saying that would be cool if it were to happen, I'm saying that most likely it WILL happen. the game development community will reach that point where sharp graphics and realistic weapons, cars, and physics won't be realistic ENOUGH. And when that day comes, I'll be waiting with a shotgun by the TV for that first mother****ing Hell knight that wants to come out of Doom 5 at me. XD

Now if you want adrenaline, go steal a car. THATS a rush. XD