Author Topic: Changing settings remotely  (Read 1110 times)

Hobo

• VM-68
Changing settings remotely
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:04:19 AM »
Jitspoe
  I know you've said before that there are no backdoors to pball2.  I was just wondering is that was still true?
  The reason I ask is that some of the new changes to the cliient side and server side don't seem to jive.  For instance the jumping height, one day I could jump on boxes in sandtrap and the next (it seemed) I couldn't. FourthX just happened to be on the server so I asked him about it, he said it had been changed.  It may have been a server update but the graff servers are still running an older version which should have that hieght..  Could you briefly explain how such changes are implimentd?  Is there a server/client setting for returning the jump height to the original?
  Another thing I noticed was the fps warning and enforcement setting seemed to change on server which I believe no one else has login.  I suppose it could have been a server failure or something... just wondering.
  I also noticed the field of view for id to work was tightened.  I'm sure this was a version update and probalby a improvement to the game.
  I've look in my config and don't see any changes which would have caused the changes.
  Anyway I was just wondering if it was my client or some auto update... or whatever.
  thx,
  Hobo

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Changing settings remotely
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:07:40 AM »
welcome to loials world

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Changing settings remotely
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:54:23 PM »
In order to make things more fair, as well as reduce unnecessary bandwidth, I added an optional server side packet rate cap: sv_maxfps.  Unfortunately the only way to cap the packet rate in q2 is to cap the framerate (cl_maxfps).  With the standalone, framerate and packet rate are more independent, so you can still have a high framerate for smoother movement, but it won't send as many packets (packet rate capped by cl_cmdrate).