Author Topic: Modified Content: p4intu  (Read 11545 times)

lekky

• Autococker
Re: Modified Content: p4intu
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 01:55:27 PM »
what mz? I can understand his point, but he can't prove this to me so how can i believe him over someone who says their brother did it. He knew the rules, and modified the players anyway.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 02:38:06 PM »
There should be a completely different set of player models for the color blind, but something more along the lines of a "striped" jersey. Like change red to red striped with white, and leave the rest the same. That would be more then enough to be more fair to the colorblind. Also, i agree with lekky, this topic should be discussed, maybe in a different thread though

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
Yeah jitsy we need a "Disabled" version of Paintball2...  My player models all look pink when I'm drinkin JBB and sometimes there might be 6 people playing but I see like 24! LOL

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 05:18:01 PM »
There should be a completely different set of player models for the color blind, but something more along the lines of a "striped" jersey. Like change red to red striped with white, and leave the rest the same. That would be more then enough to be more fair to the colorblind. Also, i agree with lekky, this topic should be discussed, maybe in a different thread though

Yeah but then those who are not color blind can get a hold of the new skins and gain an advantage over other players.

Next we'll have player models in brail for the totally blind?  Or player models with walking canes for broke legged mo fos?

CCBD

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »
Yeah a video game in brail!!!!!!! lol

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 05:47:29 AM »
...but do we want to discriminate "handicaped" ppl. ?
..goes to PICASSO and S8N. Start being serious or don't even talk about it. okay?
About his ban: Well, i think he should've known the rules and should've contacted an admin at the right time. So his ban should stay but we gotta find a solution to his problem. Maybe that what lekky said about "Sending a picture of the doc's approvement paper to jitspoe" would solve this problem.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 06:08:20 AM »
aside from the point that "p4intu" has been playing for a long time now, and not just started recently, I don't think being red/green colorblind justifies a modification of the models.  firstly, everyone could use that as an excuse, no way to prove that, and secondly, there are no green models! what would you mistake them with?  it's not like the grass behaves like a playermodel either... ;)
And this game exists for almost 10 years now, and all of the sudden some people request a version for "disabled" people? wow, just wow...

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 06:14:02 AM »
First of just read what i quoted.
it's not like the grass behaves like a playermodel either... ;)
Yeah try seeing a green model on a green background (note: both textures have some darker parts in them) and try playing like that. Just like glowing models give you an advantage, this gives paintu a disadvantage, and we don't wanna discriminate color blind people as long as it's not clear that it is necessary!?

Hatecrew

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 06:22:38 AM »
no way to prove that

Sure there is.
Go to a doc..getting a document where its shown.

Sure p4intu got that.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:32 AM »
...or can get it.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
...but do we want to discriminate "handicaped" ppl. ?
..goes to PICASSO and S8N. Start being serious or don't even talk about it. okay?
About his ban: Well, i think he should've known the rules and should've contacted an admin at the right time. So his ban should stay but we gotta find a solution to his problem. Maybe that what lekky said about "Sending a picture of the doc's approvement paper to jitspoe" would solve this problem.

I can't discriminate against handicapped people kid!! I AM ONE so hush your face!  The point we are trying to make is that there are NO games, at least to my knowledge that make special provisions for handicapped people so why in the hell would you expect provisions in a FREE game!?!?

Furthermore, No matter how sorry anyone might feel for the guy that got banned, there are AMPLE WARNINGS about cheating and he chose to do so rather than contact jitspoe first with his problem and got his just reward.

[p4inTu]

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »
We have arrived a point, at which we need to know jitspoes opinion. >DP is his game and he can or has to decide about that problem.
My opinion:
Jitspoe should allow to change the Player skins, because there are some other things e.p the loc-files, with that you can get an advantage.
An other example: The double-jump-script
The players , who can write some good scripts or binds, can get an advantage and players, who cant write scripts get a disadvantage opposite other players.
So, why doesn´t jitspoe forbid scripts, menus or other helpfulll things?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
thats not what we are discussing here...thats what we discussed when loial made that post.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
[p4inTu], the difference is there is no rule against using a script, there is a rule against using modified player textures.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »
Unfortunately, not all men are created equal.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Some people have better eyesight.  Some people have better reflexes.  Some people have better precision.  Some people are better at predicting enemy movement.  While it may be true that you have a clinical disability, there are many people with varying degrees of disabilities that impact their gaming ability which may or may not  be diagnosed.  Do I allow varying degrees of model discoloration depending on the severity of the disability?  See where I'm going here? The only way to make a game completely fair would be to throw a bunch of names in a hat and have it randomly select a winner, but what fun is that?

I have two key concerns here:
- What's best for the game and community as a whole?
- What's realistic?

I'm fairly certain the community as a whole wants a fair game.  Can I get a show of hands for those of you who want other players running around with modified models and textures so they can see better than you?  Ok, maybe there are a handful of, "I'm better than you even if you cheat, so bring it on." players, but I don't think that's really in the best interest of the community overall.

Now, what's realistic?  Reviewing each individual player's disabilities and weaknesses and creating alternative versions of the game and/or content to compensate for those handicaps is not really realistic.  Not only would it be a lot of work, but how am I to determine the relative visibility of a player model against a given texture for a color blind person vs. the stock models for players who aren't color blind?  Their alternative textures might be more visible even with their color blindness than the stock textures for other players.

The most fair and realistic solution I see right now is this: everybody uses the same models and textures.  If you have a disability, then you have a disability, and you're just going to have to learn how to play with it.  As b00nlander said, there are no green models, so you won't be mixing teams up.  They might be harder to see against grass textures, but the players don't have grass camo on, so you should be able to pick out the patterns of their jersey easily enough, and they'll probably be moving anyway.  I've played lots of games where players are actually designed to blend in with the environment -- games like BF2 and COD2 come to mind.  Even in classic Quake 2 deathmatch, everything was pretty much the same orange/yellow/brown color.  You just have to learn to discern pattern and movement instead of colors.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »
Unfortunately, not all men are created equal.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Some people have better eyesight.  Some people have better reflexes.  Some people have better precision.  Some people are better at predicting enemy movement.  While it may be true that you have a clinical disability, there are many people with varying degrees of disabilities that impact their gaming ability which may or may not  be diagnosed. 

So true, tinman is color blind, and i am half blind. Still, neither one of us had to resort to changing models to play better.

For the scripts, most of them are given out publicly it seems, so basically everyone has access to it

[p4inTu]

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 06:38:39 AM »
Sorry, my englisch skills are not so good,but...
Jitspoe, why don´t you allow to change the player skins? That would be fair for the whole community.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 06:49:15 AM »
That would destroy a part of this game, if each player have an other player skin >:(

Scriptes could be nice (see the flame script jitspoe made), but I think scriptes like the double jump script also destroy a part of the game.

[p4inTu]

• PGP
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 07:24:43 AM »
What part would be destroyed?

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 12:58:32 PM »
Bix has Red-Green colorblindness, and he plays just fine.