Author Topic: Catching cheaters on our server...  (Read 2340 times)

^$hooter^

• Stingray
Catching cheaters on our server...
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:17:33 AM »
First off I didnt know exactly where this should go. So please move if need be.

This is on the behalf of the Clan DeW server.  I have noticed in the cheater bans and reports that there have been several hackers that have visited our server.  So, this isnt like we are trying to go on a witch hunt.  I was just wondering what I should look for when it comes to hackers. Then if i see something that is very compelling, what I should do about it. So any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  I just dont want hackers thinking that our server is a safe haven for them.

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Catching cheaters on our server...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:24:23 AM »
I think the best thing you can do is to require GLS login.  So many more hackers are tracked down and banned because of it.  (Thanks PicaSSo)

What to look for:
+Players shooting in places where enemies are that don't seem logical (wallhackers)
+Players not jumping or strafing and still going faster than all the others (speedhackers)
+Banned users evading bans (check ban list often)

If you see any of this, get their name, IP, and the time (and other names used if ya have any) and post them here along with a firstperson demo of the offense

Cheers,
y00tz

p.s.

Thanks for your help :D

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:56:10 AM »
How do I require GLS login. I imagine its in the server .cfg  files. Thanks for your help yootz.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 03:57:12 AM »
set sv_login 1 (or 2 to require login or all players)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 05:45:25 AM »
I think the best thing you can do is to require GLS login.  So many more hackers are tracked down and banned because of it.  (Thanks PicaSSo)

* PiCaSSo *Blushes*

Prior to the GLS system my search was quiet primitive and I retrieved "witch's" IPs manually via the logs but the true thanks go to Snipen who did our B19 upgrade and set the servers to require players to login.  I believe 2 of the 4 PUB servers still allow players to connect without having to login.

As always, thanks for all that you do y00tzy...  {HuGz}

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »
Typically when people post cheater reports, they post a demo.  Watch the demo and look for something unique.  I typically look for chat text.  Search your log file (qconsole#####.log) for that text, then scroll up until you find where the accused player connected and retrieve his ip.  The line will look like "SomeCheater connected [12.34.56.78:1234]".  Post the number in the []'s and I'll take care of the rest.

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »
also to figure out the ip u could just type "listuserip" into the console thats what i do :/

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »
Getting their IP has nothing to do with catching them. To catch people such as speedhackers then you have to see them. Then once you see them and find their IP you can ban them.