Author Topic: NEW MAP: Catapult Carnage  (Read 5663 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
NEW MAP: Catapult Carnage
« on: March 14, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »
New map by me, S8NSSON.

http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/vids/catapult.bsp

Name: Catapult Carnage
Format: Center Flag
Max Players: 16 (8 Blue, 8 Purple)

Special Features: There are two catapults by each base. The catapults will toss a player to the other side of the map. Only problem is this is a center flag map. Catapulting will toss you OVER the flag, and possibly into the opponents base full of the enemy. Oh, and did I mention that the catapults are not 100% reliable, well they aren't so be cautious.

The center flag basically sits on top of a huge hill. Climb the hill, get the flag, and take it to your opponents base, easy!

You spawn with a low powred marker, a hopper, a barrel, some ammo, and co2 already purged. There are two medium powered markers on either side of the flag. There are also two autocockers stuck up in the bracing in the tunnel up under the flag, if you can find the time to get at them.

If any of the server admins find this map interesting I would appriciate placing it rotation!

Feel free to post here and let me know what you think about my new whacky creation.

S8NSSON

Edit: Added valid download link: http://dplogin.com/files/maps/catapult.bsp
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:55:18 PM by jitspoe »

BigT

• Stingray
Re: NEW MAP: Catapult Carnage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 06:57:59 PM »
hey S8N like the map hope to play it with you sometime  ;D

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »
wee loial2 loial2  !!!! perhaps in a pickup?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:33:29 PM »
I really don't think that map could handle 16 players well since essentially all players are visible at once while you're up in the air.  Poor herby was lagging with just 5 or 6 people. :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:22:21 PM »
Wasn't this my idea a while ago?

AgentSmith

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 04:13:31 AM »
S8N the map is really great I love it, but you said in IRC that you are too lazy to make, that you can see the catapults shooting, but I think youre a great map maker and you should make that you can see the catapults shooting!
would be great!
and perhaps, you can make a catapult which shoots you to the flag, but : YOu need a 2nd man who shoots you, so that you have to get onto the catapult and another one has to shoot a button that the catapult shoots, like in splat Mesa where you need to shoot a button to get flag!
thx
Agent

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 09:34:35 AM »
Couple of problems here Agent.
1. Rotating catapults would be very hard.
2. A rotating catapult that didn't point exactly 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees would be really hard times 10.
3. There are too many catapult maps already.
4. There is NO WAY you can successfully put a button activated catapult in a map on a public server and expect any cooperation in operation, think about it.
5. A rotating catapult allows the errant player to jump up in the catapult mechanism which could cause all kinds of problams I didn't want to deal with.

With that said...
Alot of people like Catapult. But it's liked as a novelty map, which it is. I COULD see matching on it, but that would take alot of strategy that I don't see clans taking the time to learn. I might attempt another catapult map later on. But I wouldn't want to just remake that crappy map with new catapults. I'd have to have a fresh idea come to me in my dreams.

I do have an alternative catapult design in mind that i'll run by you. Have ya ever seen those seat catapults that simple slide up a rail and stop suddenly leaving the person in the seat to go flying off into some water or something? Thought about that. Still have the player getting in the way of the mechanism problem, but the firing action would be easier.

So now that i've said all that you guys keep playing catapult. Keep giving me your suggestions. And when the time is right I will make a new map incorporating catapultv2.0.

S8N

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:38:15 AM »
I told you, this was my idea. And i got the rotaty-thingy working.

Let me find.

Ah! There it is.

http://www.freewebs.com/eri3ch/stuff/launchtest.bsp
www.freewebs.com/eri3ch/stuff/launch.dm2

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 08:39:33 AM »
you want a cookie

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 11:33:12 PM »
I want every cookie obtained from the creation of this map, darnit!

Whoa. Jits, please make it so we can say dam n.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 01:43:03 PM »
Catapult is one of the GREATEST maps EVER I think.... this is one of the best ideas I have seen and played..... I Can test maps at school but not online, and I can use forums on Moms computer at home, but my computer to do everything has gone CAPUT....

-Termin8oR

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »
Gee, good thing it's MY IDEA!!!

Okay, i'm not really mad, but I won't stop boogering about this.
;)

WHAT? We can't say b1tch either?
This meddling sucks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 06:06:04 PM by eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 09:56:22 AM »
Ideas are a dime a dozen... no, even cheaper than that.  Everybody has ideas.  Lots of people thought of some kind of catapult map before you.  It's the implementation that counts, though.  Ideas are nothing unless something is actually done with them.