Author Topic: Modified Content: CUSOMAN  (Read 4179 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Modified Content: CUSOMAN
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:46:38 PM »
Name used: CUSOMAN
IP: 75.46.17.4 = adsl-75-46-17-4.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net
Reason for ban: Modified smoke textures

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
Re: Modified Content: CUSOMAN
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:02:29 PM »
this guy played my server like 2 nights ago. he wasn't too great. I suppose modded smoke doesn't help too much. why would you even risk being caught using modded stuff for something that doesn't do much for you?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:32:07 AM »
this guy played my server like 2 nights ago. he wasn't too great. I suppose modded smoke doesn't help too much. why would you even risk being caught using modded stuff for something that doesn't do much for you?

The advantage of modified smoke could be huge.  If he made it transparent, he'd never be affected by smoke whilst others were.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 11:40:59 PM »
... did you read what i wrote?

he didnt seem to have much of an advantage while he was playing against me

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:13:31 AM »
Actually y00tz, you can make it transparent but most of the smoke will still show up.  I'm pretty sure the .dll file is what makes the smoke, while using the smoke texture.  I've never tried it, I only know someone who has and the difference wasn't big..

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 12:15:55 AM »
... did you read what i wrote?

tbh, no.

I kid.

You asked

why would you even risk being caught using modded stuff for something that doesn't do much for you?

I replied...

The advantage of modified smoke could be huge.  If he made it transparent, he'd never be affected by smoke whilst others were.

It's all context :D

adsl-75-46-17-4.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net
If that was 'sfldMO', it's be nearly identical to mine :\

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 12:40:52 AM »
touche... y00tz. touche.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »
ummm. my bad on the smoke thing. i only changed the texture to be a giant black square.  i wanted to see how the engine rendered it.  if the square was always facing me or if it was just a mass of squares in every direction.  the grey fog effect still occured, i couldn't see at all, only after the fog effect cleared i could see the black aquares that do infact render in multiple directions.  sry for making it appear as if i was cheating. i am not that good....

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »
Welcome to the boards Cusoman.

sry for making it appear as if i was cheating.

The fact remains, you modified content, you probably got a warning, yet you still played in pub.  I think it's fair to both you, and others that you're setting an example for - you must finish out the remaining 29 days of your ban.

You seem pretty bright, the fact that you took interest in a point of the engine, I just wish you had realized that you were violating terms of the Global Login by playing online with your modifications. 

Good luck and I hope to see you in 29 days.

Cheers,
y00tz

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »
thanks for responding Y00tz. next time i will just test out stuff on my own server with a really long pass so no one can   
connect or something. its ironic tho, because i made it giant black squares, i think it was harder to see.  also i am trying to 
learn opengl and c++ because i have been looking at the source for both original quake 2 and Digital Paintball, thats why i changed the textures.  o well, live and learn.
-cusoman

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:25:30 PM »
Actually y00tz, you can make it transparent but most of the smoke will still show up.  I'm pretty sure the .dll file is what makes the smoke, while using the smoke texture.  I've never tried it, I only know someone who has and the difference wasn't big..

The engine does the white haze when you get too close- but from a distance you can see straight through the puffs.