Author Topic: A quick map, Landscape  (Read 10742 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: A quick map, Landscape
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
O.o

You are not allowed to access this section

That happens when I click the download link. Jits?

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
Hmm, it lets me download.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 12:04:29 PM »
Odd Zorch, perhaps you tried to download it between the time it was removed and the new, renamed file was uploaded?

Anyway:  http://zilla-clan.net/upload/342419

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 12:31:38 PM »
Hmm, maybe. Oh well.

Thanks y00tz

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »
Don't have time to look at it right now, so I'll just comment on the screenshots:

1st shot: You need to avoid having water at multiple levels, as it needs to render the scene multiple times for the reflections.  This causes a hard hit on framerates.  Also, why is there just a big block of water there?  Where is it coming from?  How is it being suspended like that?  It just plain looks weird.  Also, the rocks around it are really square and unnatural looking.  And I see brush misalignment on the right side.  What did I tell you about the grid? :P

2nd shot:  Hard to tell much from that angle, but it looks like you've made the rock a lot more solid looking, which is good.  The texturing is still inconsistent, though.  You might even consider using grass on the more level areas.

3rd shot: Several wood textures need to be rotated on that structure above the ladder.  The ladder looks better, but still a bit thick, maybe.  You might play with y00tz's unit conversion tool to see just how big those rugs really are and compare them to that of a real ladder.  The stair texture looks better, but it still looks like it's a metal texture (kind of hard to tell from the shot).  Metal could work if you made stairs that look something like this: http://christophermetals.com/Images-home/index_r5_c7.jpg  - but with solid stairs like you have, concrete will look more realistic.  Also, that huge block of wood next to the stairs looks a bit unrealistic as well.  In fact, most of the wood structures do -- where would you find trees big enough to build something like that? :)

Keep up the good work, though.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »
Any chance of this version being uploaded to the beta server? You probably don't need the older versions anymore.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 02:32:44 AM »
Nice work, i cant even load textures lol. Really good map, Nice work

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
Nice work, i cant even load textures lol. Really good map, Nice work
Thanks! =)

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
cool map smacks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
I haven't seen SmackWaters around in a while, but I figured I'd go ahead and post some feedback, anyway.  The map rolled around in the beta map rotation when we had a bunch of people playing, and it was pretty well received.  My biggest complaint is the wall that stops you if you try to go up the middle ramp on the right side, but other than that the high and low paths flow together pretty well.  The floating crates that sink when you stand on them is a nice touch.  There are a bunch of little alignment issues and such, but I won't bother going into that if SmackWaters has disappeared forever.  The base is probably too easy to defend as well.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
It's been ages since I've logged into these forums, but I happened to be poking around on the internet today and ended up here. I saw you had posted so I thought I'd reply... thank you for the feedback! While I don't really have any interest in working on these maps any further, I just wanted to say that it was so amusing to read through all the old posts on here. This community was fun, and mapping for and playing this game is a cherished memory from my teenage years. (A lot of the maps from around 2006-7 are still on my PC - lots of jumping puzzles, community maps, and other odd maps I downloaded back then.) That being said, looking back on some things I wrote or said to people on these forums, I've had some good "cringe" moments here and there... It's really interesting how the internet can effectively chronicle your life during a time period. This was one of the only forums I ever got involved with during those years. All in all, just wanted to say that this forum and game were always interesting, and thanks to jitspoe for providing that experience... free of charge! It's crazy how much a video game sticks with you as you grow up, and I'll never forget this game. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:58:29 PM by SmackWaters »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
You can always come back and play again. ;)