Author Topic: Kung Fu - Final Release 14/08/2007  (Read 32738 times)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Kung Fu - Final Release 14/08/2007
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »
Hi all,

Here is my and Reeds latest map-making endeavor. The inspiration is taken from watching too many kung-fu movies lately, and as such takes the form of 2 warring chinese restaurants in a enclosed pagoda compound.

The map is recomended max 16 player, though supports 32 discreet spawns. Game mode is CTF. Also, note that it makes use of the CTP1 (Community Texture Pack beta 1) textures, those of which we have used are included in the specially named ZIP.

There are 2 paths, high taking you through the store-room and over the upper floor of the pagoda, low being a brawl across the street level and pagoda grounds. There is also a 3rd entrance to each base, consisting of a air-con duct that has been forced open and is only accessible from one end (pagoda street level).

we have updated the high-routes with a blocker wall which you can see in the newly added screenshot below. As well as this, KoreMagna was kind enough to sort us out with a couple of custom textures which adds a great touch of authenticity to the map. These are included in all the download options below.

Screenshots:

pretty hot stuff, huh!

Download:

3 flavours for you -
here - Just the BSP for those of you who already have the CTP1. (1.2mb Zipped)
here - BSP + CTP1 Hi Res + Low Res textures we have used (7.6mb Zipped) If you want good quality but don't have the CTP1.
here - BSP + CTP1 Low Res textures (1.6mb Zipped) for server admins or users on 56k.

Thanks go out to the guys at www.gamedesign.net for their great quake 2/bsp tutorials, to KoreMagna for her great work on the chinese writing textures and to those of you who gave us all the great feedback along the way!

We'd be really grateful is server admins could start adopting the map now so it can start getting as much exposure as we hope it will!

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D and Reed ([-DarkP-])

edit: fixed download links, typo be gone!

edit 2: updated to version beta 2 (which is our Final so isn't listed as 'beta2'!)

***Changelist***
 - Corrected the problem with the release on Linux servers.
 - Corrected wood texture alignment.
 - Corrected Clipping Plane alignment on the roof
 - Implemented func_areaportals, however ineffectual it turned out to be.
 - Implemented vis-blockers high in the pagoda.
 - Included custom textures.
 - Fixed various misaligned brushes.
 - Removed 'textured' door and replaced with 'brush-constructed' door in restaurants.
 - Increased lighting value in stockroom striplights.
 - Some other small stuff I can't think of right now.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:50:58 AM by DrRickDaglessMD »

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Kung Fu
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »
Just looking at the screens made me want to touch myself. ;)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:47:24 AM »
Amazing level of detail, good job.

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »
Looking it over now, from the SS's it looks great. I found an issue with your zip file you have ctp1 in caps (CTP1 )so when you load the map  it say  it can't find the textures, I changed it but thouhgt I'd let you know.

Tipicaly I don't put beta map on the servers, but this one seems to be running smooth so I am up loading it .

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »
If I remember correctly Snipen, CTP1 is supposed to be in caps... 

Doctor, how long did this take?

Ladies and gents, this is exactly how much detail we should be putting in to all of our maps.
This has seriously made my day :D

edit:  replaced screeny with a shot from my paintball2 directory, instead of my pb2-texture-test/ directory :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 02:02:47 PM by y00tz »

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »
OLE!

but i would make something with this house in the mid. Maybe a mid way but the rest is awesome...

jesus christ... nicely done

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »
Either way its wrong somewhere , in the map or the zip because the map is asking for the texture files from ctp1 not CTP1. In the zip the file is CTP1.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 12:21:03 PM »
Is it not working? It worked fine for me..

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 12:36:15 PM »
OLE!

well it took about a week, me and Reed have been bored and it has rained a lot where we're from lol.

Thanks a lot of the feedback guys, you're comments have made our days too - Snipen thanks for the upload, Reed is looking into the problem you mention now (he put the Zip together on his machine).

We considered putting a Low-Mid in, but we are really constrained by the limits of BSP - the mid is pretty much as complex as it can be without really crossing the line of performance degradation on some peoples machines. If there's a lot of support for that route then i'll see about reworking it :)

- Rick

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:42:17 PM »
:o Amazing once this is done everybody better put on their servers!!!!
Awesome job Doc. You say limits of BSP welllllll.......
Hey, i edited the compiler.

Set the -chop value in final compile (high quali) to an higher one, so there aren't so much light datas because of a worse light quali.

Notice that this is just working for the MAX_PATCHES ERROR, but you should try to find other ways to fix it before you edit the compiler (scale up textures, use detail brushes).
http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Map+Compiling+Errors
chef
Hope that's what limits your talking about and I hope it helps :)

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »
Ok y00tz hold my hand I'll walk you through it step my step.

1. Seen post seen map liked the look

2. Downloaded map ( BSP + CTP1 Low Res textures (1.5mb Zipped) for server admins or users on 56k.)

3.Unzipped Download

4.Started Paintball

5.Typed map kungfu_beta1

6. Map loaded

7.Textures didn't load

8. Looked in paintball folder textures file was there

9. Looked at console said server didn't have texture files from ctp1

10. Went back to paintball folder looked at CTP1 folder

11. Renamed CTP1 to ctp1

12. Restarted paintball game

13. Textures loaded fine

14. Made post to make DAG aware that some body else might have this problem and not know why they don't have textures

15. Take another 10 minutes to explain the obvious , the map ask for lower case ctp1 and the zip had uppercase CTP1

Now are we on the same page? The map needs to ask for correct folder whether it's upper or lower case. Hope I helped out.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »
Haha figured out the problem, Snipen it wasn't "CTP1" before, it's "CPT1".  CTP1/ctp1 should work the same, but he misspelled it.

Be sure to fix that Doc.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »
:o Amazing once this is done everybody better put on their servers!!!!
Awesome job Doc. You say limits of BSP welllllll.......
Hey, i edited the compiler.

Set the -chop value in final compile (high quali) to an higher one, so there aren't so much light datas because of a worse light quali.

Notice that this is just working for the MAX_PATCHES ERROR, but you should try to find other ways to fix it before you edit the compiler (scale up textures, use detail brushes).
http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Map+Compiling+Errors
chef
Hope that's what limits your talking about and I hope it helps :)

I don't think so, because there is light in this map, so there couldn't be this error.

It's a very nice map, great job.
I have just one suggestion, rotate the misaligned wood textures so, that they are logical.

I have uploaded the map to the OTB server.

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
My mistake I over looked the obvious a typo, but I'm good at making afew typos myself. However I looked at the upper and lower case because Linux is flaky on it.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 01:00:50 PM »
Doc you lost all my respect for this map by hosting it on bad Rapidshare.

So I mirrored it here.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 01:10:42 PM »
My bad, i was in such a rush to get it zipped up i made the typo, updating the links as we speak.

We could do with some play testing at some point if anyone can give us some feedback, thanks.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 01:31:28 PM »
Oh lord this map looks amazing. <3

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »
Almost as beautiful as yourselves. Nice job :D

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
Ok as I feared , Muff joined the server and ask why the textures didn't download I had to go and rename the folder with the  lowercase letters. The folder name was in uppercase and was the correct spelling , as I stated before Linux is quirky on upper and lower case.

ALSO  WOW Y00TZ  why did you change your SS ? I wanted the textures you had for the walls  they where lighter and I liked the look.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »
ALSO  WOW Y00TZ  why did you change your SS ? I wanted the textures you had for the walls  they where lighter and I liked the look.

They're included in the next version of the CTP, but I can give them to you in a bit, they aren't good substitutes for metal1_2, since they're too light.