Author Topic: Kung Fu - Final Release 14/08/2007  (Read 32740 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Kung Fu
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
This map would look amazing with phong shading in the right places. darn max_patches... :-\

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
it looks nice but since you titled it "kung fu" it looks more japanese then chinese. especially when you have the japanese flag in the background (the yellow and red one)... and the building do look more like a japanese temple rather then a chinese building.

You might consider changing the name to Japanese Temple instead.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 03:30:22 PM »
Hmm, the sun isn't the japanese flag, which is white with a red circle. However I suppose its reminiscent of the japanese rising sun, i guess we got our style a little mixed up there! still, i like the look of it.

Also, the pagoda is based on a shaolin temple style design, as you can see on the right of the wikipedia page on 'Kung Fu', which of course is chinese.

hope that clears it up for you!

- Dr Rick

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 04:20:01 PM »
This map would look amazing with phong shading in the right places. darn max_patches... :-\
Thats Eiii's way of saying "Good Job"

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »
Oh lord this map looks amazing. <3

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 04:27:58 PM »
Oh lord this map looks amazing. <3
Thats Eiii's way of saying "Oh lord this map looks amazing"
See the difference?

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 07:51:40 PM »
Hmm, the sun isn't the japanese flag, which is white with a red circle. However I suppose its reminiscent of the japanese rising sun, i guess we got our style a little mixed up there! still, i like the look of it.

Also, the pagoda is based on a shaolin temple style design, as you can see on the right of the wikipedia page on 'Kung Fu', which of course is chinese.

hope that clears it up for you!

- Dr Rick

From the image it's yellow and red and even if it's white and red, it's the japanese imperial flag. it was used during ww2. chinese would NEVER EVER use any sun-like image.

japanese imperial flag.

the map itself does look very nice

sorry, the chinese-japanese relation is a VERY touchy subject.

i never trust wikipedia. haha but i'll take your shaolin temple for it. why not call it shaolin temple then?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 08:09:51 PM »
i never trust wikipedia.
When it comes to trusting on the internet, wikipedia is the only way to go :-\

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 08:19:40 PM »
The map is influenced by far Eastern culture, think Japan, China and Korea. The reason it is named Kung Fu is more of a marketing decision, simply put it is easier to remember kungfu than it is shaolintemple. Also, the original idea came from watching many old martial art movies, particularly those using Kung Fu.

Thanks for all the praise guys, I think I speak for me and Dagless when I say we're very pleased with the outcome of the map. The main downside are the r_speeds, which can have some fps hits, but nothing major (we hope).

I know this map probably won't please the masses, but I hope it will at least inspire some people to treat maps like a work of art.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 09:34:20 AM »
actually thats the japanese imperial naval ensign, but yeah i get your point.

and 'work of art' reed? I thought we just said we wanted to make a 'goshdarn hawt map'!

while on the topic of r_speeds, how are peoples systems holding up on this map? I have a pretty powerful machine so I dont actually see any drop in fps, but apparently reed did occasionally in alpha testing.

- Jim

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:09 AM »
My FPS is fine, which is suprising.
Great amount of detail.
I also <3 this map because my house's walls, ceilings, and driveway are all over it.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 10:02:19 AM »
I normally get 1000 fps on just about everything. Most of the map here is fine I just have only 2 places where I get horrid fps drops. See the screens below.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
Wow, over 7000 polys in that area. I'm not sure what's causing this other than the hueg amount of awesomeness in this map.

EDIT: Looks like you have nothing detailed. All the wood posts along the walls are probably breaking them up a TON, and giving you lots of extra polys. And the barrels on the ground, etc, etc. Detail stiff. In this case, it'll probably help a lot.

EDIT2: Yep, looking at the tris confirmed that. This map's poly count could be a ton lower with some detailing. Also, you can see into one base or the other from most places- I'd suggest you look into putting func_areaportals inside the doors. Should help a lot.

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »
We need more maps like this!

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »
now i see the blue base... it makes a bit of sense :) blue base look nicer ;) lol

you said it's based on shaolin temple, did you consider using any shaolin monks imagery? or used '少林' (shaolin) the actual chinese text? i think it might be cool to add either shaolin '少林' or kung fu '功夫' at the entrance or somewhere.

i do like it, would like to try it out eventually.

edit: i dont know if the chinese text will come out properly - might have you change encoding to traditional chinese (big5)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »
haha thanks Eiii for the comments, although im a little unsure about what you mean:

when you say nothing detailed, do you mean on the pagoda, or at all? because i assure you, almost everything is detailed apart from walls, ceilings and floors. having said that, the only exception to this is the pagoda, where most internal stuff is detailed, but things such as the crossbeam designs slightly under the highest roof are not.

We'll look into the func_areaportal thing, sounds like it could be promising from the article on gamedesign.

keep the feedback coming guys, this is all good stuff so far!

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D

p.s you posted as i typed this, koremagna, the chinese text might look amazing on the map, but whether we could quite do it justice with BSP is another matter! I'll ask reed to take a gander at it.

Edit: KiLo, i just noticed how misaligned the blue 'paint splat logo' texture is on your screenshot - any idea why that is? it seems fine on my version!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
I think he's talking about Detail brushes

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »
haha on reading that again, i see that it could be misconstrued. i mean i applied the detail brush attribute (keyb shortcut 'D') to everything barre the walls, ceilings, etc....

hope thats a little clearer!

- Rick

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »
Okay, what the hell. Detail brushes shouldn't split anything, but they do. Something's wrong with the build tools... >_>