Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 267146 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
jitspoe's .plan
« on: July 18, 2005, 07:31:37 PM »
Some people have been curious what I've been up to, so I'm starting this thread to post updates on the little things on an arbitrary basis.  This isn't intended to be a discussion thread, but rather a place to dump information about what I'm currently working on, so please don't post questions or request that I work on something else instead.  If you have a request, post it in the request/feedback forum.

That said, you're probably well aware of some of the recent stuff I've been working on, namely reflective water with fragment programs, skeletal animation support, rscript support on skeletal models, the jersey, etc., so I'll just start with last night:

Last night was a pain -- one of those nights were you spend many hours to implement one small, yet difficult, feature.  I had to do it the quick and dirty hack way, too, since I want it done for dpcon.  Aside from tweaking the rigging on the model (which needs constant work as vertexes never seem to go where you want them to), I worked on attaching a weapon model to the player hand.  Quaternions, matrices, vectors, transpositions, translations, Euler angles, arctangents, Greek symbols...  I was up until 6am, and my brain is still fried.  I was supposed to be done with that crap when I got out of college. ;) These things never seem to work out the way they're supposed to.  I'd get the yaw right, but the pitch would be wrong and it would spin the wrong way, then I go to figure out the whole thing is whacked out -- fortunately I'd experienced that before and it was due to the world matrix being different then the model matrix or some such crap -- basically I had to switch the rows and columns around, but there were other issues beyond that.  And the fact that I couldn't figure out which Greek symbol corresponded to yaw/pitch/roll because every site I brought up on google said something different didn't help.  Nobody can explain the frustrations of matrix mathematics.  You have to experience them for yourself.

Anyway, I got it all squared away:
http://www.digitalpaint.org/images/devel/biggun.jpg

Heh heh, that's what the carbine ground weapon looks like at its actual size (what you see spinning around on the ground).  Obviously it's been scaled down and textured now.

I did a crappy face texture that'll need to be redone after dpcon when I have more time.  Also figured out how to get animations in.  The character will probably need to be completely reanimated properly after dpcon (if I can even get it animated in the first place).

Good news.  The bounding box fits the new player model perfectly.  No more shooting through heads... at least while it's standing, making a crouching animation low enough might be a completely new story.

Tonight's plan, if I'm still functional:
- Update the dpcon page with detailed directions and photos (the place is kind of hard to find).
- Whip up a quick map that does a better job of showing off the water, take a screenshot, and submit it to PQ's POTD -- hopefully generate some last-minute interest in DPCon.
- Invade a small to moderately sized country to further plans of word domination.
- Create some player animations.*
- Sleep.*

* These tasks may not be completed in the time alloted.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:09:58 AM by jitspoe »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 07:26:03 AM »
It should totally be a setting to have huge guns.

EDIT:
Ha-ha!
http://www.planetquake.com/images/photo/index.asp?id=496520

You shoulda submitted the sshot earlier.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
Yeah, bad timing there. :(  I was hoping to get the news update and sshot up on the same day.  Maybe they'll have it up tomorrow.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 06:12:37 PM »
Nice gun that would make a great .50cal model, what map was that ss taken on?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 12:31:50 AM »
pgp.bsp

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:41:29 AM »
Got the stand and run animations done... at least good enough for the moment.  3ds max is very frustrating at times.  Sometimes I'll get these "phantom frames" where even though there's no key frame visible, the model is moving.  I found it's best to save each animation as a separate file because max can really screw you over and mess up all your animations.  I was able to salvage the run animation because it was only 6 frames so I could  manually correct each one, but I had to revert to an earlier version and redo the stand animation.  I even deleted all the keyframes and the  thing still kept moving.  Whatever.

Every once in a while I'll find a handy feature that works better than I expect, like you can anchor a foot, and if you try to lift it up the foot will bend upward and the toe will stay put -- came in useful for the running animation, but then that very same feature started becoming a pain in the butt.  Even though I unchecked the button, it was still anchoring the toe midair -- like I'd try to lift the foot up and move it, but the toe would stay put, so then I'd have to move and rotate the toe instead of it just moving with the rest of the foot.

I really wish I could get the pelvis to move.  It simply won't.  The running looks a bit stiff because of this.  I guess what I'll have to do is rotate the whole model then rotate everything but the pelvis.

There's something funky going on with the lerping -- I think it's using a pose from the wrong frame -- when the player is running in game it almost looks like he's limping or skipping a bit, but it's not a problem with the animation itself.  I'll look into it after dpcon.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:20:19 PM »
Hm. Even the three gazillion dollar programs have serious errors. That's why I stick with free ones of the same caliber.(BLENDER!!)

Also, the sshot you chose just looks amazing. Good job on that one.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 06:35:37 PM »
Yeah, when this is all said and done, I'm going to figure out how to get stuff out of blender and into .skm format.

eiii-notmycomp

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 07:04:49 PM »
You could write your own import/export script! There might already be one, actually.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 07:54:29 PM »
Unlikely, but if there's an SMD export script, I'm set.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 01:54:34 AM »
Got a lot of animation done tonight.

The limp/skip in the running animation turned out not to be a problem with the lerping/interpolation code.  Instead it was the fact that the export creates a single frame for the reference pose and that was offestting all the rest of the frames, so the run animation had the last frame of the stand animation in it.  I need to tweak up the jump animation because it looks kinda goofy - almost like he's trying to knee you in the face, hehe.  Other than that, just the death animations need to be done to at least make it playable.  I may even have time to make a custom map for the new game mode!  Unlikely, but I may!

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 03:48:15 AM »
u do the darn thang :p

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 07:56:15 AM »
You tell us what the game mode is!

EDIT:

OH WAIT I KNOW!!!
Keep the flag for as long as possible to get points but when someone kills you you drop the flag and the next person to get it does the same thing, repeat.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 11:14:30 AM »
Finished the player animations last night -- at least got them done enough to play with.  Some of the death animations are pretty entertaining. :)  I also adjusted the hues and made some quick jerseys for the other team colors.  It's going to need a lot of tweaking after dpcon, but as it stands, it's way better than the old model.  Everything but the new game mode is ready to go.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 07:46:01 PM »
Are the death animations the same, or did you make them different?

Also, when will the new build be released?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 09:30:31 PM »
They're different.  When it's more done. :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 03:48:39 PM »
Yay! New death animations!

Are the wave animations the same, jitsey-pie?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 05:37:52 PM »
No.

I think this week I may just take a vacation from my hobby. :)  I've completely burned myself out staying up until like 6am every day last week.  Well, maybe I'll work on maps for the new game mode.  We'll see.  I definitely need to get some rest, though.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
wee NEW MAPS!!!!! What your burned out with dp con just around the corner. Suggestion, get your rest, say your prayers, take your vitimans your you will get schooled.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 05:59:25 PM »
I'm burned out with dpcon just over.