Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 267571 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2007, 02:19:23 PM »
From the news:

Despite switching over to a UDP system, Build 18 still had some lag spike issues when contacting the login server.  This was determined to be caused by DNS resolving the dplogin.com hostname.  I believe the issue has been resolved.  Expect a new release some time next week.

Also, I apologize for taking so long to switch over from the test database to the live one.  I'm still implementing administration features and doing a lot of testing.  I don't want to be testing things like account deletions on the live database in case something goes wrong.  I will probably try to coincide the database switch with the build 19 release, just for simplicity.

Additional info:
I've implemented admin functionality to delete and edit accounts as well as delete names from accounts.  I still need to add some things like clan deletion and editing as well as account number changing.  I also need to get an interface on the global ban system and allow for banning hostmasks and hardware id's.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:01:58 PM by jitspoe »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
What's going into build 19, and how soon is it coming?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2007, 07:27:58 PM »
Well, I've been busy lately:

The new global ban system is close to complete.  I now have an interface to add bans and a public list will be made available containing the who/what/why for each ban, along with a link back to the corresponding forum thread for discussion.  Multiple ban triggers can be grouped together, so if the ban length or something is changed, all the triggers are impacted.  Helps keep things organized as well.  Currently ban triggers just include IP's and hostmasks with wildcards, but I plan to add hardware bans and regular expressions if necessary.

Lots of stuff done for administration.  This is mostly just stuff to make things easier and more efficient for me:
- Player account deletion
- Player account editing
- Player name deletion
- Clan deletion
- Global ban list administration (as mentioned above)

I guess what that means is I think I'm about ready to switch over to the live database.  I probably have a large backlog of cheaters put on the ban list when I do that.  I will also be releasing build 19 with the lag spike fixes and a couple other small bug fixes as well as a (hopefully) simplified profile menu.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2007, 06:42:39 PM »
From the news:

Slight Delay
I should never say when to expect a release.  I know better than that.  I was planning to have a new version out by now, but I decided it would be better to spend more time on the login interface, since some people seem to be confused by it.  There were some things that weren't as intuitive as they should be, since I was originally planning on making account registration in-game and I kind of rushed build 17 and 18 out since I just wanted to be done with them.  It also took longer than planned to add and test some of the administration functionality of the global login system.   It shouldn't be too much longer before a new release comes out, so stay tuned.

Bug fixed: After loging in, then changing your password and logging in again, it fails, even if the password is correct.

Another bug (in the process of fixing): Login was using the profile file name instead of the profile login name when connecting to the login server.

Tweak:  Instead of automatically putting your name in for the login while editing a profile, it uses the profile name and has a button to quickly apply your name.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
Bug fixed: After loging in, then changing your password and logging in again, it fails, even if the password is correct.

I hopped over to the news page to make sure that part wasn't on there so we wouldn't have another thread started :P
And you expected 19 by now?  Wow, just a month after 18, keep up the good work! :) 

Cheers and good luck,
y00tz

*edit - I editted the last sentence because at first I just sounded like a jerk, which was the opposite of my intention.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:02:23 PM by y00tz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »
I think everything is pretty much ready for the build 19 release, but I'm going to hold off for a bit.  My sister is getting married this weekend, so right now isn't the best time to be putting out a release, switching the database, and all that.  I am, however, continuing to test and improve the web aspect of things, which is good to be doing with the test database.  I think I've pretty much completed every aspect of the "anti-clutter" code for the account database.  Inactive accounts will be overwritten if the IP, name, or email matches what somebody is currently trying to register, so if you screw up and re-register without activating your account, it'll re-use the inactive one you previously created.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »
I've added an option to disable ban triggers without actually removing them from the database.  This should help keeping a history of things.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
Added a hit log for the global ban system.  No interface yet (it probably won't be made public anyway).  This should help identify who is getting banned, and if it's the intended cheater or somebody else (in the case of hostmask bans).  Unfortunately, I noticed the ban check is being done before the player name is even getting set, so it will only help so much until I get that straightened out in the game itself.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:14 PM »
Switched to live global login database.
Released build 19.
Updated the news.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »
I added a little "Why am I banned" link for the global ban system to help people quickly identify which IP they were banned under.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2007, 11:33:29 PM »
I added a little "Why am I banned" link for the global ban system to help people quickly identify which IP they were banned under.

Smart. :D

I've been meaning to ask but I've been too embarrassed, "hits" on the ban page... is that times they've tried to play?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »
You got it.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #272 on: June 29, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
You got it.
So I assume build 20 will be one of your "i like to make the even builds stable" build. So just bugfixes? Perhaps from 20-30 it can be mostly graphical updates :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
I'll probably be working on the faster downloads first, since that's by far the most requested feature, and I think the most critical one with as many custom maps as there are.  After that I'll probably be working on graphical updates.  Build numbers will just end up being whatever they are.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »
What sort of graphical updates, though? I'm curious. >_>

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »
High res textures seem to be the big thing.  Maybe remodel a couple guns since I have the real ones to work off of now.

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2007, 01:28:49 AM »
lol! nice gun

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »
I think I'm going to have to rework how some of the login server is done now.  It's really getting pounded.  I've noticed it takes about 10 seconds to log in when it should be instant.  The problem is, the server is handling so much stuff at once that it's getting backlogged.  Client logins, file checks, cheat detection, ban queries, etc.   Things like reverse dns lookups are probably taking a while and causing things to get backed up.  I could probably make it multithreaded and have one thread just handle all the incoming packets, building a queue, and a handful of other threads  taking things off of the queue, doing the necessary queries and whatnot.  Ultimately I need to be converting most of the logic over to C, though, instead of passing it on to the old PHP code.  That's going to be a major rewrite of a lot of code, though.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
Wow I see how that could be a problem.....

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
Just a little update:  I've been trying to get a 16bit Linux build working, but I've hit a couple small snags.  It works for the most part, but a couple things (such as the map checksums) fail to work properly due to dependency on 32bit values (I guess).  Hopefully I'll have this sorted out soon and have a 64bit patch available for download.