Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 267329 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #580 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
Sounds good. Did you also worked on the requiredfiles download?
No.  I don't remember seeing that in the b31 thread.

I think I'll work on the Linux OpenGL crash next.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #581 on: February 02, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
It wasn't in the b31 thread. It's here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=21676.0

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #582 on: February 07, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
I just recently noticed that Filter Forge has a new version out which supports shadows (finally!) via ambient occlusion.  Now I can make much more realistic looking hr4 textures.  I'll probably spend some time focusing on HR4 textures for a bit now.

Example:

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #583 on: February 07, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
Looks a little bit darker in my opinion. Different, but really good.

If you have the time, can you please start with textures like this one (which we only have in lowres) instead of remake textures where we already have a few different hr4 versions?

Rassy

• VM-68
« Reply #584 on: February 08, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
ouu Nice..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
Build 32 so far (hopefully I'll have a release this month):

- Fixed issue with files not downloading that were in the "requiredfiles" field in maps.
- Tweak: Various fixes to console text messages. (Thanks, T3RR0R15T).
- Fix for crash with long console lines then hitting up.
- Merged Linux and Win32 opengl code.
- (Hopefully) fixed OpenGL errors on some Linux configs.
- Server list sorts by players/ping.  Serverlist auto clears on update.  10:53 PM 2/16/2011
- Fix for rare case where a client reconnect or potentially a laggy connect could result in an "active" entity before the connection finished.  11:59 PM 2/16/2011

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #586 on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
You did more :P

- Failed build check - fixed.
- ID's not showing up - fixed.
- Pong spawn / flag return on new round - fixed.

Edit: The serverlist sorting is a good idea, but a little bit confusing. Why is an empty server better than a server with players (server 1: ping 19; players 0/16 | server 2: ping 128; players 5/12) ?

Can you please change the serverlist width (in the file pball/menus/play_joinserver.txt) from 38 to 39, so that the "Plyrs"-list ("14/18" for example) is completely visible for everybody?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:03:03 PM by T3RR0R15T »

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #587 on: February 17, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
I just recently noticed that Filter Forge has a new version out which supports shadows (finally!) via ambient occlusion.  Now I can make much more realistic looking hr4 textures.  I'll probably spend some time focusing on HR4 textures for a bit now.

Example:

I find it best to take a picture of a real stone wall. But I guess using a photo editing tool is great for if you don't have a stone wall in your house or something.

Since my house has wood floors, I would try to make a nice, even light so there's no glare, then take a picture.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
I find it best to take a picture of a real stone wall. But I guess using a photo editing tool is great for if you don't have a stone wall in your house or something.

Since my house has wood floors, I would try to make a nice, even light so there's no glare, then take a picture.

not that easy, but have fun

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #589 on: February 20, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
On the serverlist sorting, the idea is to put the "best" servers near the top of the list.  Sometimes you'd be better off joining an empty server and waiting for players than trying to play on a server that has 5-6x's the ping.  In practice, the ping differences aren't usually that extreme, so populated servers will be at the top of the list, and maybe a couple high-ping servers with 1 or 2 people may show up below an empty low ping server or two.

I was hoping to have at least a pretest release for build 32 out this weekend, but I was busy playing real paintball.  Maybe I'll have one ready tomorrow.

I've been reviewing the uninstall surveys.  I haven't done an official tally, but it looks like these are the biggest issues:

- Game doesn't run (Lots of Windows 7 issues)
- Graphics
- Server browser (trying to find players that aren't on passworded servers, etc.)
- No single player
- Not enough players
- Spawn killing
- Account issues (Probably due to things like colored names being too long, etc.)

I might focus on bots next, along with HR4 textures.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #590 on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
It should be a requirement for all of the servers to have all the textures required for maps. I hate it when the game refuses to download textures. There should be a website with all the textures ever created for this game for people to download them manually.

You mean you're going to focus on bots and HD textures in build 33?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #591 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
Speaking for myself I'd say the HR4 textures should have a way higher priority as the bots. Just my opinion.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #592 on: February 21, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
I might focus on bots next, along with HR4 textures.
You mean you're going to focus on bots and HD textures in build 33?
I think next means one of the next few builds, yes.

On the serverlist sorting, the idea is to put the "best" servers near the top of the list.  Sometimes you'd be better off joining an empty server and waiting for players than trying to play on a server that has 5-6x's the ping.  In practice, the ping differences aren't usually that extreme, so populated servers will be at the top of the list, and maybe a couple high-ping servers with 1 or 2 people may show up below an empty low ping server or two.

So this would be easy to do now? We have the sorting and only need to connect to the server on the first place, right?

Speaking for myself I'd say the HR4 textures should have a way higher priority as the bots. Just my opinion.
I would say the same, but a better bot ai is very high on the feature vote page and i don't know how many players play with or against them. Maybe a tutorial, how to use the savenodes and how do they work, would be nice.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #593 on: February 21, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
If you're going to improve bots, then:

1. Make them so that they can jump through windows.

2. Make them so that they can trick jump.

Basically, I don't want bots that are going to just stay in the bases of large maps like Urban Night. I want them to roam around the whole map instead.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #594 on: February 21, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
I agree.

a better bot ai is very high on the feature vote page
Keep in mind the feature vote page is only for jits to use as a guideline for how to prioritize development. He doesn't have to follow it; in fact, he's already made a number of changes that were not at the top of the list (including one that was negative!).

Speaking of which: jits, you have some features marked as "in progress" that can be changed to "implemented". ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #595 on: February 21, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »
I fixed a major bug that made the serverlist not update unless you logged in or played on a server.  That probably turned a lot of new players off.  I have the win32 pretests about done.  I'll start a build 32 thread shortly.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #596 on: February 22, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »

Not an opinion but a fact...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #597 on: February 25, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »
Officially released build 32.  Hopefully that bug fix will help bring new players to the game.

I'm making good headway with the HR4 textures.  Stay tuned on IRC in #paintball for regular texture updates.  I'll be gone this weekend, but I plan to spend most of next week working on HR4 textures.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #598 on: February 25, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
cool! thanks bud :)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #599 on: February 26, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
I'm making good headway with the HR4 textures.  Stay tuned on IRC in #paintball for regular texture updates.  I'll be gone this weekend, but I plan to spend most of next week working on HR4 textures.

The few hr4 textures from 2011 on dplogin.com (i don't know, if you want to keep or remake the other ones, so i only talk about the new textures) are looking good. Especially "city6_8", "rock4_2", "rocks19_1", "rrock1_2" and "wood1_1" are very nice ingame. But there are also three textures, which i personally don't like or which can have a little tweak in my opinion. Let's start with the texture, which needs the tweak: "stonewal". There is a little bit too much red in it. And now the textures "metal2_5" and "metal5_8": They look completely low res, too rusty and too brown ingame. The normal low res texture is grey instead of brown. The color of your new textures is more like "metal2_6" and "metal8_1", but only the color. They look too low res to only rename them.

What do you think about this ones (metal2_5, metal5_8)?

Here are screenshots, how it looks ingame with the low res textures (img 1), your new textures (img 2) and the one, i suggested (img 3):