Author Topic: Feature Request: New map release requirements  (Read 6692 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
Feature Request: New map release requirements
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:16 AM »
With 5000+ maps, the new map format will only do so much.  If we get rid of backward compatible maps, people fear that people will just do worse recreations of our popular pub maps.  If we would have some sort of release requirement, our worst fear will never come true.  Jitspoe gives the final 'ah okay' for a map to be the final release so if he were able to have some way of making the final releases able to be played on servers, we will be able to get rid of the 'bad' map releases.  If a way to 'activate' a map to be able to be played online would be able to be implemented, we would not have poor map able to be released. 

A server setting might be needed so a server can only allow 'activated' maps to be able to be played.

What would be needed is the new map format and no more backwards compatibility. 

Although, if we get rid of backward compatibility and have a new map format, we will have no maps that will be able to be played in the new build.  If we were to have a pre-release of a new build that has the new features but is unable to play online, we would be able to start making new maps and testing them.  After a few months of new map development and forum feedback, we could then have a new build that will then allow the new maps to be played online.  This would require a lot of time an a lot of support from the great mappers and the community so hopefully we can get both.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature Request: New map release requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
If we get a new map format, there *needs* to be a way to upconvert the old map to the new format.

I do like the idea of an activated, or an *official* map server setting.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »
Why restrict what maps people play?  I don't see a decision like that resonating well with the players of this game, especially the 98% who never read this forum.  If people choose to play only popular pub maps, let them.  The burden isn't on mappers to make better maps, or jitspoe to regulate the maps, or even the server owners for leaving the maps on the servers.  If you really don't like that people enjoy playing maps they know and love, regardless of how awful they are (xbmap1 makes me die inside), then get your own server to regulate the maplist.  Or find servers (like EV1's) with relatively good map lists.

When I joined the cause for a new map format, which now just seems like a public whining, I understood that the 4900 bad maps out of the 5000 maps would still exist.  There is no reason to prevent that.  However, the 100/5000 DT, Pastor, jits, Chef, etc. maps could be that much more impressive.

If your worried about the popular pub maps being remade with a new map format, why not beat the kids to the punch and make a version of it that isn't visibly (and on some levels morally) reprehensible?

Happy Tuesday :)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
I understand your point, y00tz, but the beautiful maps that you, Dagless, and handful of other 'gifted' mappers have created in the past, see server play time once in a blue moon and as soon as the map starts on a server, the server empties so they can go play shazz33.  Why should the map who enjoy the nice, well made maps be punished and have to play the poorly made maps because they are the only servers with people in it?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:56:10 AM by P!nk »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »
Therefore, there really does need to be some kind of reward for putting them on the maplist. But what? I'm still mulling over ideas for that.

Player stats.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:02 PM »
Player stats.
Great idea.  The only way your stats are tracked online is if the server only plays 'official' maps.  That would leave room for the pub maps to still be played on servers as a practice server.  As P!nk and I have said, gradual change would be the only way for these changes to work effectively

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »
This is slightly off topic, but still, I feel exactly the same way.

Single server admins can do absolutely nothing about it, believe me I've tried. The problem is there is no universal standard, the introduction of the vote feature practically ended the era of maplists. If I'm not mistaken the vote feature was implemented to end the constant rotation of the same maps and take the pressure off admins to change the maplist. If you were around before the vote feature then you'd understand that this was desirable. However, the feature, coupled with the rapid expansion in public servers, has only perpetuated the problem. Now if you want to play the game (in Euro servers at least) you're forced to either play shazam33, ub_rooftop, grave, temple22, shock or ub_cliffs. As i said, because there are such a wide choice of servers available server admins who run maplists can not retain players on their servers.

I don't think the issue is with 'good' or 'bad' maps, i think the issue is with variety. I don't mind playing shazam33, or any of the other maps, but i want to be able to play a large variety of maps to stop the monotony.

I proposed this idea before (originally Snipens idea), and that is to have restricted voting features. Instead of allowing players to choose anymap they want, the server should select 3 at random and allow players to vote on which one of those 3 they want to play. That way you get a nice healthy flow of new and old maps for everyone to enjoy. You also need some universality; admins must be forced to operate within the same standards otherwise you're only going to widen the disparity between old and new skool.

Ive had many discussions about this and could go on forever, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Reed

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:22 PM »
New idea for vote system: Votes for maps outside of the rotation get weighted higher, and voting just gets weighed higher in general. At the moment, it really doesn't do all that much.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »
New idea for vote system: Votes for maps outside of the rotation get weighted higher, and voting just gets weighed higher in general. At the moment, it really doesn't do all that much.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=11204

I suppose one thing we could do on this topic is create a subforum for released maps that nobody can create new threads in - existing, beta tested maps will have their threads moved there when they are considered complete.  Perhaps a small map committee can vote on if a map is complete or not.  That will not, however, prevent server admins from uploading incomplete/garbage maps.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »
Yes, all server admins should sort out the jumpmaps into a jump folder and all incomplete maps into the beta folder...

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
Yes, all server admins should sort out the jumpmaps into a jump folder and all incomplete maps into the beta folder...

+

If they do that, I can put a "Jump" tab on the maps menu.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »
Yes, all server admins should sort out the jumpmaps into a trash folder ...

;D

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
That works too.  :)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
What does this request need to be put up for vote.  Many people agree that at least something needs to be down.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »
Well, it's not really a request for a specific feature.  I'm not even sure how to categorize this, but I went ahead and added it to the list: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10145

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:55:45 AM by P!nk »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
That seems like a way-too-complicated way to do things. What we really need are server admins that are interested in trying new things that might potentially be unpopular, for the sake of advancing the game as a whole. At the moment, that's certainly not what we have.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:55:42 AM by P!nk »

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »
Is map voting able to be turned off or is there a way to stop a map from switching unless it has been played through?  If not, disabling map voting and disabling auto map switch might help in the cause.

Very true :/

I think we should start doing massive beta testing again where everyone hops on the same server at night and they test all the new maps out with the mappers.
I like the idea.  The beta server is the best place to hang out and see all the new mapmaking talent.