Author Topic: Port Forwarding Guide (using www.portforward.com) Updated July 2013  (Read 38117 times)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
The most common problem people have when setting up a Paintball2 server is Port Forwarding.  If you don't Port Forward your router properly your server won't show up on anyones server list but your own.
How you port forward depends on your router.  Luckily there is a very helpful site that will give you step by step instructions on how to properly port forward your router for Paintball 2.  www.PortForward.com

Here is a quick and easy guide on how to properly use www.PortForward.com.  This will help you make your server accessible to the world.

Step 1:  Make sure everything from this guide has been completed properly:   Paintball2 Server Guide

Step 2:  Determine the manufacturer and model of your router. Just go look at the router, it will say the brand and model number right on it.

Step 3:  Go to www.PortForward.com

Step 4:  Click on Routers in the top left corner of www.PortForward.com See image below.

Step 5:  You are presented with a list of router manufacturers.  Scroll down and select your router's manufacturer.  The list is very big, make sure you select the correct one.  Go back to Step 2 if you don't know your routers manufacturer.

Step 6:  You are now presented with a list of router models from the selected manufacturer.  Select the correct model of your router from the list.

Step 7:  You will now be presented with a list of games.  Select Quake2 from the list.

Step 8:  Now we need to locate your "internal IP address".  You can do this simply by opening command prompt and typing "ipconfig" (without the quotes).  To open command prompt, open your start menu, in the search bar type "cmd" again without the quotes.  You will see an application called cmd.exe.  Open it.  A black window similar to the server itself will open.
Type in "ipconfig" (without the quotes) and hit enter.  The number we are looking for is called the IPV4 ADDRESS.  It will ALWAYS start with either 192.168.x.x, 10.10.x.x or 172.16.x.x.  See images below.
** Your internal IP (IPV4 ADDRESS) WILL NOT BE THE SAME AS THE PICTURE **

Step 9:  Now that you have located your internal IPV4 address, go back to www.PortForward.com and enter the last digits into the box at the top of the page.  See image below.

Step 10: Scroll down and carefully follow the guide provided.  Don't download any programs advertised on the page.  
** You will need a username and password to access your router.  You can use this website to find default passwords**

Congratulations.... You have just forwarded your first port.

Restart your Paintball2 server and enjoy.

Additional information

Many routers assign internal IP addresses dynamically (dynamic means it changes).  This means that if your internal IP address is something like 192.168.1.2  tomorrow it could be 192.168.1.3.  So if after forwarding the port your server is working, but the next day it isn't, this is probably why.
To solve this problem you must assign your computer a static (static means it doesn't change) address.  Here is a link to PortForwards Static IP guide:  http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Post if you have any other questions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:04:29 PM by SuperMAn »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Port Forwarding Guide (using www.portforward.com)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:01:37 AM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=13119.0

Link has been in that post for a while, but I am going to include your brief tutorial in that post.

Thanks ;D

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »
Is there a way to start a server with a modem? Every guide is see always says, "Select your router," and I don't have one.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »
Is there a way to start a server with a modem? Every guide is see always says, "Select your router," and I don't have one.

having  modem makes it super easy for you. You do all the steps the same you just dont have to port forward

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
All you really need is a server config and one of the blackboxes but  ill let someone who runs there  our server i payed for my last too.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »
Wait whats a blackbox?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
Wait whats a blackbox?

It's the command prompt. You know, the black box with white text with the undefinable techie language for us computer noobs.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »
Yeah I figured that I found that out when I looked at one of the guides.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
Ok wow... lol I just discovered I have a router AND a modem... weird huh? My problem now is when I get to the Static IP address its 10.0.0.___, and SuperMAN's is 192.168.1.____. How do I solve this, because when I get to the "enter your IP in browser" part, i try everything thinkable and nothing happens.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
Try going to ipchicken.com and use that ip

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
Stop answering questions from 3 years ago to increase your posts..

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »
When I try entering my default username and password into the popup boxand pressing "enter", the popup box flashes for a second and then comes back without the text I typed. Does this mean I got it wrong and to try again, or is it something else? Because I've tried different passwords and they all do that.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
What router do you have. Try searching the default username and password for you're router on google or something. You should find it.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
BASEBALLDUDE, try clicking the login button instead of hitting enter, my router is a bit odd like that sometimes.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
Hmm interesting ill try that and see if it helps.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
It didn't help, the box keeps coming back. Any other suggestions?

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
What provider you with; when I was with my old provider they used to put there own password and username on. So it wasn't router default it was provider

Try searching default provider username and password, worked for me

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
I've searched and tried all the possible passwords for netgear.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
I've searched and tried all the possible passwords for netgear.

Sounds like you are just entering the wrong password.  Is it "your" router?  Is it possible that your parents or whoever installed the router set a password?

Another possibility is the web browser you are using.  Many web applications require a specific web browser to display content properly.  If you are using Chrome or Firefox try Internet Explorer instead. 

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
In case you haven't already, check the physical router itself for the password, sometimes they're randomly generated and printed on the back.