Author Topic: [Feature]Executables autoupdate  (Read 5927 times)

rafalluz

• VM-68
[Feature]Executables autoupdate
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »
How about an autoupdate built into newer builds? Certainly for client and. if possible, for server as well.

Simple check for new build in the repository and prompt asking to update, then, if user agrees, shutting down executable and installing an update.

Would be rather useful, don't you think?

_burnt

• Autococker
Re: [Feature]Executables autoupdate
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:28:13 AM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17823.0

Previous discussion about the same thing.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »
Not quite what I had in mind. OP talked about some kind of special screen with many features (including links to updates) and didn't mention about updates being automatic.

Not to mention it was not a feature request, just a discussion. So necroposting is not in order.

joox

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
Not quite what I had in mind. OP talked about some kind of special screen with many features (including links to updates) and didn't mention about updates being automatic.

I think the automic updates would not be a really nice option given the fact that it's making the user to download the update kind of like Windows Automic Update.... annoying.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »

Not to mention it was not a feature request, just a discussion. So necroposting is not in order.

There was talk about updating the client automatically if you read the whole thread. And i posted the link for reference.

I think the automic updates would not be a really nice option given the fact that it's making the user to download the update kind of like Windows Automic Update.... annoying.

What do you have against upgrading into newer build? o.O

joox

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
I really don't nothing against it but I think the user should make the option of upgrading on their own instead of automatic upgrade.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »

There was talk about updating the client automatically if you read the whole thread. And i posted the link for reference.

To be fair, no request was made there in spite of that. So I've made it.

I really don't nothing against it but I think the user should make the option of upgrading on their own instead of automatic upgrade.

A prompt would appear:

"New version of Paintball 2 is available. Do you want to update?"

"yes" "no"

User clicks "yes", procedure begins.
User clicks "no", we go straight to main menu.

To be honest, why would anyone click no, if menus/configs aren't overwritten? Like mentioned in that thread.

toxikr3

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »
It shouldn't be hard to code this in VB.

I can try and make a program which checks for a file on a site. And if the version differs from the current one, it will show a download link? Or even just tell them and download the new files?

I have seen some tutorials for this, but I haven't actually created this before. If someone is more experienced in VB, I think it would be pretty easy to make that.
-Toxikr3

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

toxikr3

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »
Its a vote...
I don't get the point.

Anyways, I have just managed to check the current value against a value on the web, if they differ it shows an update button. When you click it starts the download and can download to where ever you want. So the auto updater is pretty much done in like 30 min :D

Some glitches, just going to fix them up.

-Toxikr3

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »
Its a vote...
I don't get the point.

Vote for it.  Features with more votes get higher priority.

toxikr3

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
I see... ^_^

Alright, but is it fine I also create on the side and you can use it if you like?

Just want to help :D

-Toxikr3

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10223

TYVM.

So I guess now it turns into 'merge toxikr3's code with new version'? :E

toxikr3

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
ah....question!

I am very near to completing the updater. I will post a video up shortly. Just a quick question to Jitspoe I believe...

When you run an update, will you make it so it creates a text document in the directory?

I am not sure how easy this updater would be to get it to work with but if it works quickly it will save you some time ^_^

What I have so far with the updater:

Read from an online source for the latest version of the game
Read from hard drive the current version of game
Compare the two, and if they differ, it will show you a Download button
When you click download, it will go to a direct link for the file and download it to your computer without any popup boxes etc.
(Going to add where you want to download file to)
Once the file is downloaded, the current version is updated and the app tells you have the latest version.

The problem? The app restarts on download and checks for current version. The current version changes as SOON as the download is complete. But this does not mean the user has installed the setup. So I was wondering if you can make it so it changes or creates a new file with the new version...

whew thats long.

-Toxikr3

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFV1HOao1o

Just a very quick video.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:13:14 PM by toxikr3 »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »
ah....question!

I am very near to completing the updater. I will post a video up shortly. Just a quick question to Jitspoe I believe...

When you run an update, will you make it so it creates a text document in the directory?

I am not sure how easy this updater would be to get it to work with but if it works quickly it will save you some time ^_^

What I have so far with the updater:

Read from an online source for the latest version of the game
Read from hard drive the current version of game
Compare the two, and if they differ, it will show you a Download button
When you click download, it will go to a direct link for the file and download it to your computer without any popup boxes etc.
(Going to add where you want to download file to)
Once the file is downloaded, the current version is updated and the app tells you have the latest version.

The problem? The app restarts on download and checks for current version. The current version changes as SOON as the download is complete. But this does not mean the user has installed the setup. So I was wondering if you can make it so it changes or creates a new file with the new version...

whew thats long.

-Toxikr3

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFV1HOao1o

Just a very quick video.

Some things that might help:

The latest available build is stored at the end of the serverlist, which is at http://www.dplogin.com/serverlist.php
The installed build number is stored in the registry by the installer
And it would be nice if the updater exited and ran the setup program when the download finished :)

toxikr3

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
Alright, now this can help but, I do not want to mess with the registry. I think I can retrieve the values from the registry if I knew where it was installed ^_^

I can however run the updater once you have downloaded it automatically, so thats good ^_^

Retrieving the latest build... thats going to be a bit confusing, but I'll give it ago.

Thanks for feedback/help

-Toxikr3

EDIT: wow, I got it to read the latest build pretty quickly! ^_^

However, I do not know where to look for the current build in the registry..

EDIT2: Woop! I got it to read from the registry! Quick question, on the download page it says build 27 but on the server it says build 26...

I have build 28 in registry because I downloaded the update available on the forum.

So! Everything is good to go, nearly :D

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:49:10 PM by toxikr3 »