Author Topic: How To Make A Paintball2 Server [Windows]  (Read 9269 times)

LaZeRs

• Autococker
How To Make A Paintball2 Server [Windows]
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm not sure if this works with previous builds and windows (it probably does) but this is the version I did my server on, so that's why it's up there. Ignoring the words in the brackets, the title shows what I will be explaining.
Anyways, here's your guide to making a new server! [correct me in areas that I am wrong in, because although I have a server up and running, I may not be the best at running it/teaching it to you guys]
For those of you who would rather not read this, Paintball2 has a special page for you, which is about just as long as this. Click here to view this page.

Server Config

This part explains the details you would want your server to have when it is played on. So, first, go to your C:/Games/Paintball2/pball/configs folder and click on the server.cfg file (should be labeled "server" and file type should be ".CFG file") This is where you edit all your basic settings. In the hostname, you can change what's inside the quotation marks on the right of it to whatever you would like your server to be called on the server list.
Then, there's the public setting. Keep it at 1 if you want your server to appear on the server list, and put it to 0 if you want your server off the server list.
And leave the password one blank if you don't want a password for your server, if you do, put your password inside the quotation marks.
Then, scroll down to your general settings and edit the settings you would want for your server. To add a setting, type in set <command> in the next space.
And lastly, scroll all the way down to your Operator Settings. Here's a paragraph explaining what this does:
Code: [Select]
Paintball2 has a handy way of controlling who can use what commands: Operator levels. You can have as many as you want, just type a different number than the default one in the quotation marks (instead of setnumpasses 5, you can have setnumpasses 10, or higher, or lower). These are set toward the end of the server config file.
For example:
set oppass1 "dog"
set oppass1level 50
set oppass2 "king"
set oppass2level 150
Once the server is up, you can type "login dog" and it will give you an op level of 50, or "login king" and get an op level of 150. The op levels required for each command can be set in pball\configs\commands.txt, but you shouldn't need to edit those.

A few other files you can take a look at are your commands, which restricts a command you can type in the console to a specific operator level. The motd (Message of the Day) file can be edited so players entering your server see the message you have for them, and the rotation, which are basically the maps you would want for your server.

Executing the Server

Now, you go to C:/Games/ and find the Paintball 2 folder. Right click it and click "Create Shortcut" and an identical Paintball 2 folder should appear. Right-click the shortcut folder and click "Properties". Inside there, go to the "Target" box and type in this code:
Code: [Select]
C:\Games\Paintball2\paintball2.exe +set dedicated 1 +set public 1 +exec myserver.cfg +map propaint1Obviously, that's an example, and the only things you can change in that are the +exec (type in the server.cfg file name you were editing before) and the +map (put your favorite map .bsp file there) and, if you're adding multiple servers, at the end of that text you put in the target box, add "+set port 27910" without the quotations and the added space in front of it.
Exit out of that (but save!) and copy the shortcut file you just made (should have a Paintball 2 Splat Logo on it now) and move it to somewhere noticeable (i.e. your desktop). Open that and go on Paintball, go on the server list, and your server should be there!

Port-Forwarding The Server

Port-forwarding may be a little tricky, but this community has prepared you a Port-Forwarding Guide for you just for this situation! Click here to get to the guide.
Follow that exactly and you should have forwarded a port! Good luck port-forwarding!

Some Helpful Links

>>Port-Forward.com Website
>>Starting A Linux Server
>>Server Admin Remote Control Panel
>>DP Match Reserve Tool
>>Paintball2 Server Guide For Any Extra Help

Video Tutorials
>>How To Make A Paintball2 Server - DerryBoy09
>>How To Make A Paintball2 Server - DerryBoy09 [HD]
>>How To Make A Paintball2 Server - LaZeRs [Shorter Version]
>>How To Make A Paintball2 Server - LaZeRs [Detailed Version]

Good luck in making your server!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:14:45 PM by LaZeRs »

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: How To Make A Paintball2 Server [Windows 7, Build 40]
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:09:26 AM »
Paintball2 has a handy way of controlling who can use what commands: Operator levels. You can have up to 5. These are set toward the end of the server config file.

You can have more logins. Just set numpasses 5 to set numpasses 10 as example.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
Re: How To Make A Paintball2 Server [Windows 7, Build 40]
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
That was coded from here: http://digitalpaint.org/docs/server_guide_win32.html
Thanks ic3. I didn't know that either. I'll modify it.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: How To Make A Paintball2 Server [Windows]
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
I'm having some problems creating a server. Whenever I turn my computer off, my server stops operating. I have finally successfully forwarded the proper port so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. However, LaZeRs noticed that my server (West Side CTF) didn't appear on the server list at a time when my computer was on. In the shortcut thing I typed +set public 1 and +set dedicated 1. Is there something I did wrong?

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »
Whenever I turn my computer off, my server stops operating.
Quote of the year.

PC Shutdown -> Server shutdown

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »

Are you serious or joking?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »
Serious. Seriously, do I have to leave my computer on 24/7 in order for my server to be running 24/7?

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
If the server runs on your pc, then yes.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
Crap, how can I be eco-friendly then? :/

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
even if you rent a online server it'll have to run 24/7
If you want a server then you can't ever be eco-friendly unless you keep a solar panel for keeping your PC charged

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
We should put "make server work forever" on feature vote, so we get more senseless features there.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
We should put "make server work forever" on feature vote, so we get more senseless features there.
That would be nice. I hate it when people time out of my server because my computer eventually closes.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »
haha oh payl that made my day.

Crap, how can I be eco-friendly then? :/
By using less power hungry parts in your PC, or by not running a server at all. 

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
You could for example buy a raspberry pi, that should be able to handle PB2 servers without much enery consumption i think xD.
Still, you probably dont have the connection to the internet that a servercentre has, so the ping of other players would be too high and they won't play on your server.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
>> Suggestion for future home server owners <<

DO NOT upload beta maps or newly released maps or other types of unpopular maps on your server.
The result is a big lag when players try to connect and download the map, and if you have poor upload speed like me, full MINUTES of downloading those maps.

EDIT: Can this be stickied? (For players that have problems running their own servers, they can post it here)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:57:48 PM by LaZeRs »

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 05:50:40 AM »
If you want your server to stay up all da tym, you can purchase a vpn realllyyy cheaply, its a great option. thats what i used to do (HOLLA AT MA BOY SUPERMAN)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
If you want your server to stay up all da tym, you can purchase a vpn realllyyy cheaply, its a great option. thats what i used to do (HOLLA AT MA BOY SUPERMAN)

=)   vps*

And yeah, I offer 16 slot servers for 5 USD a month.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
You could for example buy a raspberry pi.
It's ARM, and Paintball2 is x86 only. Please don't put misleading information.

The result is a big lag when players try to connect and download the map
Stupid resolution to actually good point. You can disable download or limit it's speed so your server doesn't lag, of course this solution is too simple?

=)   vps*
This is probably best solution if you want to set up paintball2 server, as other solutions will be hard to made and maintain. Of course until our great Jitspoe will make servers run forever!!!

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
It's ARM, and Paintball2 is x86 only.

I thought that the source code is freely available and that everybody can compile it him / herself if he / she wants, so it should be possible to get it to run under ARM architecture, shouldn't it?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
I thought that the source code is freely available and that everybody can compile it him / herself if he / she wants, so it should be possible to get it to run under ARM architecture, shouldn't it?

You can try and make the engine work, but you will have no actual game to play :)