Author Topic: Kung Fu - Final Release 14/08/2007  (Read 32743 times)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map: Kung Fu
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »
thanks for comments,

I dont think altering the scale will be too feasible - it would be a tremendous amount of work and we agree that though your point is valid, to have realistic dimensions on the map (or any map, more or less) would be detrimental to gameplay. Take barrels for instance, they are designed to be 64 units tall, and thats taller than a dp character! last time i saw an oil drum, it wasn't taller than me (6').

We're working on the wood textures now - for a while I had no idea which ones you meant, then I realised that the brown wood 'sawmarks' were in fact 'woodgrain', so I'll correct them all now.

As for writing on the wall, it originally was there to make the wall more interesting and not totally bare and while it is certainly cheesy, we like it anyway and want to have a bit of fun with making the maps. I wouldn't leave it in if I thought it harmed the map in some way. We made the map so detailed because we're bored of maps that have nice flow but are essentially barren and uninteresting with no real stylistic themes - I don't think a bit of name dropping detracts too much from the overall style of the map. Plus we're massive egotists.

I split the doorframe and everything for the area portals, I cant think of what else I can do. As far as I can tell, my implementation is spot on the way it has been described on all the tutorials I've read. I'll keep fiddling till everything else is sorted, then I feel we may just have to live with it.

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
The map, infact, looks amazing. I just have one way off topic question... are you really a doctor? If so, what do you specialize in?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
He's a legend man, Vietnam and Falklands veteran and also a former warlock. Maverick doctor that saves peoples lives on a daily basis.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
In my line of work there are Rebels and there are Innovators.

I'm a Rebel brain expert in rebelliance against conventional logic, in rebelliance against the world order. And if thats not being an Innovator - I don't know what is.

Thornton Reed is my boss, the hospital administrator - a real ballbuster, but he has to answer to WonTon. Lucien Sanchez is a hotshot surgeon, he's a good buddy, though we sometimes have punch-ups. Liz is a star pupil, you might say.

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D

p.s if that doesn't answer your question, don't expect a more coherent answer.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »
The premise of the series is that in the mid-1980s, Garth Marenghi and his publisher Dean Learner made their own TV series on a shoestring budget. Set in Darkplace Hospital in Romford, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace tells of the adventures of Dr. Rick Dagless, MD, as he fights the forces of darkness while simultaneously coping with the pressures of running a modern hospital. In spite of the programme's obvious flaws — wooden acting, cringeworthy scripts and amazingly poor special effects, to name but three — both Marenghi and Learner still regard the series as a masterpiece. But nobody else does, which is why it's taken nearly 20 years to reach the screen.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
Not according to http://www.gamedesign.net/node/53/#detail :/
If you read carefully, they moved the brushes 1 unit away from the wall -- a practice I don't generally like.  While it sometimes reduces the number of polygons, it increases the overdraw (which is typically what has more of an impact on the framerate) and can cause funny shadows or just plain look weird.  It can be effective when used properly, and only with small brushes, though.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2007, 04:49:38 PM »
I thought they were presenting the detailing as an alternative to the one-unit-away thing. >_>

EDIT: As a matter of fact...
Qbsp3 will not use the planes of detail brushes to split your map,

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2007, 07:48:32 AM »
Just noticed this you can see through from above the spot with the airconditioner (on the roof).

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2007, 08:36:43 AM »
ahh yeah we're aware of that phenomenon, but most of the roof is clipped so we're not too worried.

were you able to get up there without lowering the grav or no-clip obs'ing? for the sake of completeness I'll add another few clips anyway.

- Rick

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2007, 08:40:55 AM »
Once I was on the roof rom nocliping yes I just went out on the string of lights (jumped) then ran in though I think Spook and some others skilled at jumping might be able to get to that roof without noclip or grav.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 12:53:59 PM »
The map looks great.
Good job guys.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2007, 02:34:56 PM »
Hehe, apocalypse, i took that as a challenge :P

http://zilla-clan.net/upload/116615

it definitely needs clip brushes there

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »
Even I was able to get up there with some work, so they're really needed. Players getting up there could be a gameplay-killer.

EDIT: Just found another route up there. :D You need to put clip brushes above every wooden post on the wall, if you don't want players getting on them either.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »
Nice Spook I maybe could make it if I tried and wasn't so lazy lol.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
Re: Kung Fu - Final Release 14/08/2007
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
Hey,

I've just updated the thread title and first post with the details of the final release of Kung Fu.

The download links are all updated and a fresh screenshot is included for your perousal.

For those of you too lazy to click the '1' at the top of the page, ill link you to the post here. ;)

Thanks for all the comments guys,

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D and Reed

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »
Hm... that's going to cause problems if things like the door scale are fixed with the CTP.  Texture alignment will be messed up.

Edit: I see you made a door out of brushes.  It's still huge, though. :)  Doorknob is over your head.  The rotated wood looks a lot better.  Oh, and it would be nice if you'd pitch those annoying Thumbs.db files.  Those things drive me nuts.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »
- Removed 'textured' door and replaced with 'brush-constructed' door in restaurants.

I took the door out to get around that issue and replaced it with one made out of brushes and more generic textures.

As far as I can tell no other alterations to the textures we used from the CTP unless they are particularly radical will impact the map very badly.

- Rick

edit: yeah, scale is screwy on the map, but its in proportion to itself at least, if not the DP bloke. I don't think it hurts the map and if it were in realistic scale then the gameplay would be abominable! Sorry about the Thumbs, ill reup the zip's when I can find the time.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2007, 02:56:15 PM »
That writing looks amazing with the map, very nice job overall

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2007, 03:42:23 PM »
I just checked out the final and I still have the same fps drop in it. It doesn't matter to me but on some non-high performance computers it may cause some lag.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »
lol sorry we cant all have "high performance computers" kilo, lol cocky

But yeah, sweet map, I added it to my list... keep it up =D