Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 267322 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #660 on: November 01, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
Well, I'm clearly not going to have an October release.  I was hoping to get build 37 done within a month and fix a bunch of little things, with two things in particular that I wanted to get done: a better popup system (so you don't have to click the OK button each time -- that one's done), and a more intuitive flow for the account creation/logging in (still in progress).

With the new system I implemented for the popups -- I call them "bordered pics" -- I can do a lot nicer things for the UI, like fancy button images with scaling borders, etc.  I made all the text links look like buttons by default.  I've been going through all the menus to make sure they all look right.

I also added an "include" system for the menus.  It's really nice for things that are going to be the same on each page (like the back button), so I can have one menu file to tweak, and everything else includes it.  It also simplifies each menu file.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #661 on: November 05, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »
Figured I'd post a screenshot of my progress.  This is what the in-game menu looks like now.  A tutorial popup is visible as well.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #662 on: November 06, 2012, 04:33:38 AM »
Is it just the resolution squeezing that box?  Found reading 5-6 words a line a tad annoying.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #663 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
The new pop-ups and menu system looks fancy :D

Now that the pop-ups wont interrupt gameplay, will mappers be able to use the same entities you used in the tutorial map for message pop-ups? Or did you make those map-specific?  Some funny messages acknowledging that you found a secret area in a map could be fun!  Some maps already print messages to the console and screen, but this looks way cleaner!

Regardless, nice work :)

- Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #664 on: November 07, 2012, 01:01:40 AM »
Is it just the resolution squeezing that box?  Found reading 5-6 words a line a tad annoying.
Can't really make it much bigger and still fit on a 640x480 res.

The new pop-ups and menu system looks fancy :D

Now that the pop-ups wont interrupt gameplay, will mappers be able to use the same entities you used in the tutorial map for message pop-ups? Or did you make those map-specific?  Some funny messages acknowledging that you found a secret area in a map could be fun!  Some maps already print messages to the console and screen, but this looks way cleaner!

Regardless, nice work :)

- Cusoman
That style of popups for message display is currently specific to the tutorial maps, but I do plan to do a better cprint display.  Probably won't make it in for B37, though.

On that note, I think I've pretty much finished up what I wanted to do for B37.  I was hoping to put together a release tonight, but some other things came up, and I didn't have much time to work on Paintball2.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll be able to release a pretest.  I just need to make a pass through everything and make sure nothing is broken, then put the installers together.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2012, 05:26:26 AM »
Build 37 pretest is up in this thread here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=25475.0

I'm going to be out of town for a week, so I'll wait until I get back to do an official release.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #666 on: November 21, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
Didn't realize Thanksgiving was so soon, so now I'm out of town with family... Might see about at least officially releasing the windows version, but the Linux version will have to wait until next week.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #667 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:23 AM »
Since I can't do much else right now, I'm trying to catch up on email, forum messages, etc. I have lots of unresolved emails buried in my inbox dating back to like 2008. Maybe some day, I'll have everything taken care of so I can really focus on new things.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #668 on: February 21, 2013, 05:56:16 PM »
Sadly, I've been slacking off a bit and don't have much new in the works on Paintball2.  I'm actually in the process of buying a house now, so it might be a little while before I get rolling again.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #669 on: February 25, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
I discovered that the sound precaching does not work the way I thought it did.  I thought it loaded the sound when precaching it, but apparently it doesn't always do that.  I've added a cvar (s_preload) that forces the sounds to always load when precaching.  Hopefully this will fix the issues some people were having with sounds from flag grabs and such causing the game to hitch.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #670 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
Buying a house seems to be a rather long and drawn out process, as is moving all my junk...  Hopefully I'll have time to work on stuff again soon, but it'll be at least 2 weeks.

The map loading screens are just about done.  The only problem is that they display the old map name for a few seconds when a new map starts loading.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #671 on: May 07, 2013, 03:42:46 PM »
I found a solid repro case for the observers becoming solid/shootable and have that fixed.  I believe the loading screens are done as well.  It took some trickery to transmit the map name soon enough for them to be displayed right away, so the image and filename will be a bit slow showing up on old servers, but should instant for new servers.

There's not really much to get excited about, but I may put out another release soon just to get another release out.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #672 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
Build 38 does not appear to have any issues so far, so I'll probably make the release official shortly.  Working on a few HR4 textures in the mean time.  After that, I might move on to working on some sort of AI/single player support.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #673 on: May 29, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
I've been experimenting with SIMD instructions to try improving performance a bit.  I've gotten promising results.  I'm not sure how far I'll push performance this build, but I certainly want to get it running a little better, plus expand my programming knowledge a bit.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #674 on: June 05, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
Brought over LordHavoc's point lighting code from DarkPlaces.  This helps reduce abrupt changes in lighting on models, as it adds in bilinear filtering.

Still experimenting with optimizations as well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #675 on: June 12, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
I'm experimenting with OpenGL lighting on SKMs now.  This should perform better on most hardware and might look a little better as well.

Fixed most (hopefully) cases where splats would show up black.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #676 on: September 13, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
Sorry it's been so long since I've put out a release.  I've been super busy with my new house and other things.  I have something going on every weekend this month (paintball, weddings, etc.), so it's been difficult to find time to keep up with all the usual forum messages and emails, let alone work on the game.

I have finally done the two things I really wanted to get done before releasing a new build:
- Fix the reflective water rotation so it respects flowing direction (also respects scale and rotation as a side effect).
- Display an alternative picture for the map loading screen when a mapshot isn't available.

There's a bunch of other misc. fixes, optimizations, etc. in the build as well.  Hopefully I'll have some time during the week to put out a release, but for now, I'm about to head down to a (real life) paintball scenario for the weekend.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #677 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
Well, I thought I was pretty close to having a release ready, but then when I went to test the Linux version on my old laptop, I realized that I did not have a non-SSE code path, so it crashes on older machines.  I need to fix that.

I also need to do some more testing since I made some pretty significant changes in the way textures are indexed.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »
Build 40 is officially released now.  Build 39 had some stability issues for dedicated servers, so I skipped the official release of that.

Now I'm working on the bot library.  I've got a new DLL set up and loading from the game.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #679 on: October 22, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
I have bots wandering now with no navmesh (not much different from the old ACEBots, but they do run into walls a bit less).

I'll have to set aside Paintball2 work for a few days to work on a Halloween costume... priorities. ;)